“Beautiful people, great location”
Review of Solyk Guest House

Solyk Guest House
Ranked #146 of 723 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
brisbane
“Beautiful people, great location”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The rooms on the top floor have a beautiful view outside of the city. We also stayed in one of the rooms on the 4th floor and it was very nice. The people at Solyk are so friendly and accommodating. If you stay in the gotic area, this is a good location. Try to avoid staying on La Ramblas or Career Ferran unless you have sound proof windows.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WooWoo4000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 11, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for two nights and we really enjoyed it. It was clean, comfortable, convenient, and a great value. Located right in the Gothic Quarter, we had a balcony from our room overlooking the tiny streets. The bathrooms were always very clean and Maria, the young lady who works at the reception, was very helpful and kind. She gave us great advice on local spots to check out. If/when I return, I will come back here for sure. Also, for all the rooms being sold out, we never saw any of the other guests. Everyone is pretty respectful of each other here. The only thing is that there is no A/C, so we had to sleep with the balcony doors open for air. The noise was pretty loud throughout the night, so download a noise machine App or bring ear plugs. It did the trick.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank johncdubya
Manchester
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just spent a four night break here and couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome or better location. Our room was absolutely immaculate, we were right in the Gothic quarter and a ten minute walk from the underground station. We got tips on travel, food and tourist traps to miss. Excellent value, funky interiors and would have no hesitation to return (which we are thinking of doing later on on the year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I just stayed here for 4 nights a week ago and had a great time. The hostal / guest house has a perfect location, right in the centre of old town Barcelona. It's on the second floor and the building has an elevator. You get your own keys to go in and out whenever you want to, which I absolutely appreciated a lot since this will give you all the freedom you want.

I had a single room with shared bathroom. The room was clean and had a comfortable bed, a sink and mirror in it. I recommend sharing a bathroom, because it will safe you some money and the bathroom was always clean and during my entire stay I never had to wait to get into the bathroom (there's four of them and you share them with ten rooms, I believe).

Maria, one of the people who work at Sol y K, was really helpful and gave me a lot of advice about where to go in Barcelona. She knows everything about all the touristic places, but also about the less touristic parts of Barcelona, for example all the lovely streets in El Raval (highly recommended!) and all the vintage markets etc. Thank you again!

Not that this was any problem at all for me (I actually liked the liveliness of the noise), but... if you easily wake up at night, you should know that the old town is noisy throughout the night. You could hear only a bit of noise in my room at the backside of the building, but I can imagine it must have been quite loud if you had a room with a balcony overlooking the streets.

Room Tip: If you want your room to be a bit less noisy, ask for a room on the backside of the building (these...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I just stayed with my boyfriend at this place for 5 nights and it was absolutely amazing. Located right in the heart of everything, we were able to walk almost everywhere. The rooms are clean and the beds were comfortable. There was noise constantly outside, but we liked it. We felt it added to the experience - a place that was always on the go.
Maria was so sweet and helpful we felt we couldn't thank her enough. She made navigating Barcelona extremely easy and gave us really good suggestions for places to eat/see.
Would definitely stay here again and have already recommended it to others.

• Stayed September 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Great value, perfect location in the heart of Barcelona, extremely friendly and helpful staff, rooms are gorgeous and we had an awesome street-view balcony. I could not believe how nice this hotel was for how little we were paying. I was nervous about the shared bathrooms but they were actually spotless and frequently cleaned. The construction was annoying but that's not the hotel's fault and I still was able to sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank frankreynolds99
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

The hostel was perfect, but since there is no air conditioner in the rooms, the balcony must stay open. The noise was impossible!
Besides the noise, the hostel has the best location, the staff is great, the rooms are nice and clean.

• Stayed August 2012