“Great hostel! Found it by chance and its in the perfect shopping district!”

Equity Point Centric Hostel
Ranked #66 of 735 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed November 28, 2012

The hostel is on a major street in the heart of Barcelona. It offers free walking tours that you just tip the guides. This is a great place for back packers or at any age. They are clean, well stocked, great bar and breakfast. They have nightly shows and if not for a show there, you can always find something to do really close. Christina was an amazing receptionist and helped with anything we needed.

Room Tip: Bring a lock and take advantage of using the lockers.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I visited the hostel during the last weekend of November after a recommendation of a friend who stayed at the sea side hostel.

The hostel is located at the best location in the middle of a high end shopping street - Passeig de Gracia - at only 5 min walking distance to Placa Catalunya (begin Las Ramblas).
Looking back at the great service (from all staff members, in comparison to other reviewers) and the price I paid (€12,90 per night for 8 pax mixed dorm) I was very content!

They offer free walking tours everyday, have a luggage room, have blankets for rent (€2,-) and sell locks for the lockers (€3,-).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I really like the stay in the hostel. The rooms were always clean and roomy. Breakfast was great too, you can also put your own staff in a fridge. The only bad thing was the stuff, they were some times rude, didnt give enough information and if they did it was always in hostile way. Place centril but very bad stuff

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was a great hostel! We stayed here with our tour group. The rooms were a great size, very new and clean, good pillows and a clean bathroom.
The common room set up was awesome, good wifi and great bar on the roof.
The hostel was in a fantastic location and I felt really safe here with great access card to enter each floor and your own room.
The only downer was some rude staff members who when we brought it to their attention that the cards we were given by the hostel had a different address on them than where we were staying (this was an issue when we tried to get home in taxis and were taken to a different and scary part of the city), they were very rude and said it wasn't their problem.
The day of check out we once again experienced rude and unhelpful staff. I understand that tour groups might be somewhat trying at times, but there is no excuse for being inhospitable and down right rude!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I really did not enjoy my stay here. The hostel is very understaffed. One staff member behind the front counter to check in SEVERAL people really is not good enough. We had to wait for a very long time to check in and the man behind the desk was not at all friendly or clear. We were not told to collect our sheets to make our beds and arrived at the 4th floor entering our room before realising we didn't have any fresh sheets. You have to pay extra for sheets (2euros) and pay a deposit (2euros) for a towel PLUS extra to use one (another 2euros). I think that is ridiculous and the first I've seen of any hostel charging for bed sheets! The hostel should just include this in the price as everyone will need a sheet!
The hostel is huge with fairly good facilities however it did not have a good vibe or atmosphere. It really is too big and lacks any "homely" feel. My keycard stopped working straight away and failed to work for the rest of my stay, even when it was reactivated several times. Reactivating my keycard was a very inconvenient and annoying experience - lines for the front desk were always huge, staff were generally unfriendly and rude.
The rooms were a good size however we were unable to open the doors for outside any wider and it was very hot at night. Large lockers inside the rooms was helpful.
Breakfast was well organised and adequate - definitely the best aspect of this hostel as well as the location. I asked the woman politely behind the bar for a black English Breakfast tea and her response was alarming! She scoffed at me and explained they only have "nice" tea! I didn't appreciate being treated so rudely over tea, as if my request disgusted her. And I'm sure most people would prefer plain tea anyway over herbal tea!
The kitchen was dirty and not well looked after. It was also lacking many important utensils.

This hostel has potential and good facilities however it lacked so much in other areas I really didn't like it here at all.
Sorry Equity Point, I definitely won't be returning.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

First of all location is great very close to Plaza Catalunya but after visiting Barcelonetta I think I would have preferred staying in the sea location however I did not see inside.

Upon arrival there were two people checking the guests in. One was obviously well trained and experienced, friendly and professional but she was working double due to the incompetence of the other guy, he seemed partly new but he was also lazy, rude and he made me feel guilty for asking questions. I think his name was Santi. While we were checking in the other girl was checking other people in and she started explaining where things are, breakfast, rules etc our guy just said to us 'hey listen to their conversation you here everything u need to know' he couldn't be bothered to explain anything! Because the other girl was already half way through her explanation I said ' I didn't catch it all' and he replied well there are people behind you so come back later if u want to ask something' LAZY he didn't give us sheets so we had to go back and queue to get them after we found our beds with no sheets. He did not smile once or even tell us which floor to go to? He just started speaking to the people behind us. RUDe.

We paid around e37 for a bed in 6 person room. It was clean, mattresses comfortable and pillows were thick, I had a good night sleep. The shower however was soooo small, if you are not slim you would not have been able to shower, TINY. No exaggeration.

The same day we decided to stay one more night there because I had the flu and was too exhausted to look for another hostel. We paid our grumpy
friend e15.90 for a bed in 12 person dorm. Big price difference. The next day we packed up and went down to get the key for our new room. This guy suddenly forgets he's ever met us and says he has no booking. We refreshed his memory and reminded him that it was HIM that took our money and he loudly denied that he ever met us or took our money. I was furious so the other helpful girl tool over and calmly sorted everything out and apologized. The other guy did not apologise.

The This time we had to pay extra e2 for a top sheet and the pillow was so thin
and not comfortable and both our beds
were squeaky. Bathrooms were clean and showers spacious. Breakfast is great, plenty of juice and toast and cereals. The communal area is big and modern. There is a weird machine though where u have to prepurchase your beer or whatever and bring your receipt to the bar.

I would not go back there out of principal and I hope the owners or managers read this and give that guys some training in customer service and how to smile. I may try the equity point sea in Barcelonetta though because seems like an organized establishment.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank sharkey0301
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here as part of the Top Deck Timeless Trail tour, we did not book this but would definitely stay back for a big group.

We'd been previously disappointed at each of the places they called 'hostels' they put us in o the tour so this was a pleasant surprise, the hostel and furniture were fairly new.
We stayed in a group for 6 with 3 bunk beds with our own bathroom and small balcony (which was locked slightly ajar)

It was a great location, around the corner from Casa Battlo (Gaudi), 10 mins walk to Las Ramblas (main area) and located on Passeig de Gracia just near all the main shopping.

The security was great as they check you have your accommodation card when arriving, and another great thing was having wifi available in most parts of the hostel, like the common room, reception and sometimes in the main stairwell.

Only thing was a tiny lift & many young backpackers/tour groups.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends