“Wow wow wow”

Ranked #185 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
Reading, United Kingdom
“Wow wow wow”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

After travelling through the Gatwick system on Xmas eve, losing our suitcase (courtesy of Gatwick), we finally arrived at the Miramar tired and jaded. As soon as we set foot in the door we were embraced in the most fantastic care. Ainhoa on reception offered us a drink, took care of the luggage problem, even found me her own nail varnish remover to use. Our room was absolutely stunning. Huge. Comfortable. Gorgeous huge comfy bed with real wonderful pillows. Huge balcony with an absolutely stunning view over the whole of Barcelona and the sea. Bathroom - wow! Breakfast was great. We had dinner in the bar area the evening we arrived and that was brilliant. I cannot speak too highly about this hotel - just bliss. And fantastic location. Quiet and beautiful and only a 5 minute walk to the Parallel funicular which takes you straight down to the city. Thank you to all the staff, but especially to Ainhoa

Room Tip: Pay for the view - it's worth it!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
H0telMiramar, Director de Recepción at Hotel Miramar Barcelona, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you very much "Sazza26" for your amazing review! We really appreciate your opinión. It is inspiring to read that you liked our hotel and that you mentioned the great service delivered by our staff. Comments like yours are inspiring for all the members of our team and stimulate us to improve the service every day!We are looking forward to host you once again during your next trip to Barcelona. The Hotel Miramar staff will be waiting for you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Woodinville, Washington
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We travel frequently to Barcelona and this is hands down our favorite hotel. Sitting atop Montjuic, the view cannot be beat. Add to that the numerous walking trails and park attractions surrounding the hotel, it is a destination location unto itself. The hotel is lovely; the rooms spacious and the service wonderful. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others. The experience here is quintessentially Barcelona and one not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
H0telMiramar, Director General at Hotel Miramar Barcelona, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Greetings from Barcelona! Thank you "Leslie N" for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we are glad to read that you enjoyed the time with us!
Manhattan
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed here just shy of a week during the summer of 2013. We chose this hotel because the location was close to the venue of the World Championship Swimming competition (BCN 2013) which we went to see 3 days in a row.
The overall impression I got from this hotel was, although they were trying hard, it was not a 5 star hotel. The service was inconsistent (staff not well trained) and the bathrooms ill designed. It felt as though this hotel was built and owned by a wealthy individual who has no hotel experience, but just the passion to be in the business.

Our room was beside the pool, with a lovely balcony overlooking the Mediterranean sea. It was spacious, well lit and very clean but the bathroom was very strange. The bathroom seems to be the signature design of this hotel, but having a tub right by a large window where guest and staff actually pass by frequently is not a good idea. Yes I can close the shades, but then what is the point of the window? The shower room had no door. There were hinges, so I assume there used to be one, but they did away probably because it broke. Instead of getting a new door, they decided to hang a flimsy shower curtain that kept flowing and sticking to me whenever I turned the shower on (the air flow from the water made the curtain flow inside).
The toilet was behind an opaque glass door, which itself was fine. But the floor was not leveled properly when constructed, and the door kept getting stuck. I was afraid someone might break the glass door during our stay.

One night, there was a private party going on by the pool. It had loud music and went on and on and on. We assumed the music and the noise will be done by 10pm, but no. It was still going strong at midnight. So we called the front desk to complain. Nobody picked up the phone for 30 minutes. I went down to the lobby, and there was a man sitting at the front desk, ignoring the ringing phone, which I assume was from other hotel guests in the same boat as me.
I went up to talk to him but he didn't look up and instead waved me away. I was incensed and shouted that I cannot sleep because of the noise from the poolside. He looked a little sheepish after my outburst and pointed to and empty seat and said "manager, manager, he come later".
I decided to sit in front of this lazy man, whoever he was, and waited 15 minutes for the manager.
Apparently, the manager was busy shuttling angry guests to rooms on the opposite side of the hotel. He came downstairs exasperated at another angry looking guest, and apologized right away without knowing what I was there for. He offered a different room for the night so we took it. On the way to the new room, I asked him if there isn't a clause regarding how late the noise can go on in the banquet agreement. Apparently they didn't think of it which made me wonder how professionally run this hotel was. "We did not know this was a Jewish wedding. We are angry too. We are losing money" - this was another comment by the manager which made me realize this place was run by amateurs. Definitely not a 5 star or even a 4 star hotel comment a manager should ever utter.

The front desk was trying to be helpful in general but utterly hopeless. BCN 2013 was quite a big event in Barcelona during that time. The hotel did have officials staying there and the banner for the event was ubiquitous around the area where the hotel was. Lots of ads on the subway system too. Yet the staff I talked to had absolutely no idea about it. I would expect the staff to know what is going around at least near there hotel! Another staff I talked to had no knowledge of the public bus system (where the bus stop was, destination of the bus, etc) that ran right in front of the hotel. Another did not know the "hottest new tapas place" that was written up in so many magazines (local and international) and which was known to be fully booked for weeks. This staff insisted booking the day before was fine and he had clout to do it, even though he admitted he never heard of the place. He refused to call the restaurant 3 days prior because he was so sure of himself so I had to have another staff call the place instead. It was fully booked anyway and the hotel did NOT have any clout over this restaurant to squeeze us in.
Another staff kept pushing for us to go to this touristy restaurant though I made clear I had no interest in tourist traps. I did some research before traveling to Barcelona, so I had a pretty clear idea of the well known places and what to avoid. I was surprised I was way more knowledgeable than the staff.

By the end of the stay I was utterly disappointing with the hotel. If it is going to call itself a 5 star or even a 4 star it should have the level of service and knowledge of running a hotel to go with it. Staff training seemed next to none.

I was ready to write an even more scathing review since the disappointment was such, but on the last evening of the stay, our son came down with a fever. I gave him some Tylenol which helped a bit during the say but by late night, he was in such bad shape that he would moan, whimper, and scream all at the same time. He would twist in bed, seeming as though he was hallucinating and screech with eyes open but no pupils. Like the possessed child Regan from the movie The Exorcist. So I had to do something, pronto. I had absolutely no faith in the front desk staff but had no other choice. The night manager at that time was someone I had never met before. I initially thought some more Tylenol will do but the manager said regulations did not allow hotels to give any medicine it had to guests. He offered to have staff go out and buy some at a 24 hour pharmacy but also asked me if a doctor's visit would benefit. I didn't think I could drag my son to a hospital but he said "no, no, a doctor will come visit here. I will arrange everything". And he did, right away. An hour later, I opened the door to see a Guy Falkes Mask. Alas, it was the real face of the doctor. Very surreal situation with his strange look and my Exorcist son, but he went straight to my son and did all the professionally correct things a doctor should do. His English was extremely good, and relayed to me what needs to be done and how. He also prescribed some medicine which the hotel staff went out to fetch. As we didn't have any cash to pay the doctor (less than $150 - great healthcare system), the night manager worked his magic to produce cash to the doctor and billed us the exact amount on top of our hotel bill which we payed by credit card.
I could not say enough about this one night manager. He was very professional in handling this kind of situation and obviously had years of experience in the hospitality industry. He was superbly competent and knew exactly what was necessary and knew exactly what to do, and how to say it. He was not there in the morning so I could not thank him, but he single-handedly changed our impression of the hotel from "never come back" to "will consider coming back". I just wish he could train all of the staff there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much "Rosanjin" for taking time to write such a detail review about our property and your stay with us.
Firstly we would like to apologize for inconvenients during your stay and we are sorry that you felt that our employees are not well enough trained to be in a 5* hotel as the Miramar Barcelona.
Secondly thank you for mentioning the great service delivered by our Night Manager.
We would be honored if you choose to stay with us again in the future!
Central Texas
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the beginning of December. Barcelona was a little chilly, but we were prepared. We love this hotel. The staff are very friendly and made us feel at home. Our room was very comfortable and large...we were on the 5th floor with a view of the harbor.

We never did eat in the restaurant, but we always had room service breakfast which was great...very good coffee. You can't smoke in the rooms, but out on the balcony is okay.

There is a sort of sewer smell which comes into the bathroom and out in the hallways. One staff person said he's so used to it he doesn't notice it anymore. It doesn't seem to be a problem that can be fixed easily or cheaply. We just ignored it as best we could. That's the only downside to this hotel. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in 501...very large balcony with two large comfortable patio chairs and a table, and also a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
H0telMiramar, Director de Recepción at Hotel Miramar Barcelona, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you "Thursdayk" for choosing Hotel Miramar for your stay in Barcelona! We really appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and most of all thank you for recognizing the friendly, attentive service of our team.
Regarding the remarks about the smell in the 5th floor, I have already passed your comments to the Maintenance Department who will follow up your comments to avoid this to happen again in the future.
We wish you all the best and we hope to welcome you again here at Hotel Miramar Barcelona.
Klosters, Switzerland
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Lovely hotel located on hillside over looking the Barcelona Harbour. Easy taxi ride to port if you are staying for a pre-cruise visit. Also on the Hop On/Hope Off bus route if you want to do general sightseeing from this location. Modern building with good design and very smart rooms. Beds a little on the hard side, could use improved quality, but staff attentive to needs and listened to our observations. Restaurant meal was good. If you like a room with a bath, ask for it, because not all rooms (even most expensive one's) are equipped.

Room Tip: All rooms have view over city and harbour. The best views are from the top floor but our first room...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
H0telMiramar, Director de Recepción at Hotel Miramar Barcelona, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you very much "howarD10" for this wonderful review!!! It is really nice to read that you liked our hotel and that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are looking forward to your next visit to Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

A boutique hotel which is intimate and comfortable. You don't have to pose here - genuinely just relax and enjoy - a haven on Montjuic giving you time and space to relax and recharge. Genuinely helpful staff who are attentive without being intrusive, an air of exclusivity without pomposity and great views. Why go anywhere else?

• Stayed November 2013
H0telMiramar, Director de Recepción at Hotel Miramar Barcelona, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Thank you very much "Mike T" for your amazing review! We really appreciate your opinion and we are truly grateful that you shared your experience with us!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel is what you would expect from a 5* hotel. It has excellent staff, a reasonable bar and high standard finish rooms. We stayed on the 5th floor with views overlooking the city and slightly the sea which actually meant we had a great view of sun rise and sun set. The room was not as big as I was expecting (Premium) but no real complaints as it had everything we needed including free wifi. It has a slightly business feel about it, but again often the case with city hotels so not a complaint at all. Breakfast at 28 Eur is probably too much (didn't take this option) as you can get a load of food just down the road.

The only downside for me is the location, what you gain at the hotel for having such good views over the city you lose because it is half way up the mountain (hill). The walk was fine for us as we are fairly young. But for people who have concerns about mobility it would be a challenge for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you "OliverS78" for choosing Hotel Miramar for your stay in Barcelona! We really appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and most of all thank you for recognizing the friendly, attentive service of our team.