“Great re-visit”

Ranked #36 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Great re-visit”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I love this hotel. On this occasion I was a solo traveller. I had been six weeks earlier and was recognised immediately by Fabrizio and Tatania. When I mentioned to Fabrizio that I would quite like to see Barca play Malaga the next evening - he came up with a ticket at very short notice and it turned out to be a great seat at a great price. The bar staff are talented and friendly - Barbara tempting me with well mixed gin and tonics.This hotel really looks after you and I can't wait to go back there. When I read reviews of this hotel that are negative and critical I do not recognise what they are relating to. This is an exceptional establishment in an exceptional City.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I searched trip advisor as I haven't been to Barcelona before . Villa Emilia got good reviews so as we were pressed for time I booked . Glad I got the last room as this place is a gem. A little further out than some hotels but there are some great bars and restaurants in the area. Will be back here again.

Stayed April 2014
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Because I traveled to the wealthy country of Switzerland, I had a preconceived notion of what Barcelona hotels would be like, given my bad experience with filthy, expensive, hyped up Swiss hotels; in my mind, I compared the near bankrupt country of Spain to the ultra wealthy country of Switzerland and decided to expect the worse with pickpocketers, muggers, crooks, filth, Spanish prostitutes, and possibly violent targeted reactions against perceived Americans. Basically, I had low expectations for booking this hotel because it is in a city that carried a bad reputation, in my book. I even packed my own silk sheets and pillows to protect myself from possible bedbugs. To my extreme error of judgement, this hotel exceeded all expectations! The moment I stepped out of the cab, I felt safe. It's in a safer area, just off a main road. The English speaking staff was quick, friendly, and accommodating. The room was big (compared to european standards) and extremely clean, the shower was piping hot (and lasting); beautiful decor and clean scents filled the charming boutique, and an excellent breakfast buffet was available at a discounted rate. The afternoon tea was a perfect touch after a long day of exploring. The place was classy and it's inspiring to dress up and feel chic at any time of day. The strict smoking policy made the entire building an oasis from the chronic smoke blown in your face when outside. I looked forward to escape to inside the hotel for "fresh air" from outside pollution. I'm happy I stayed here, it's one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, in the entire European continent, and can't imagine ever staying anywhere else in Barcelona. Thank you Villa Emilia, for breaking away my fears and breaking down Barcelona's bad reputation. This is a clean, sparkling, safe hotel for English speaking guests and Americans who are afraid to travel to Spain.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MitsoukoRussie
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Let's be honest, this hotel is far from beeing a 4*. I think people are just happy that there is perfume everywhere and that the room are clean, the terrasse is nice and the overall hotel design is modern and classy BUT the beds are small and crazy hard, the room are small, the TV are ridiculously small (I wasn't in Barca to watch TV but still), the hotel is too far from where everything happens, the bar staff are not really smilly, and the prices are HUGE, the internet is way slow... lots and lots of downers. I have been to many hotels in Barca and this one I will never go back. Not a chance, not worth it.Sorry to the hotel but I am just beeing fair and honest.

Room Tip: Just choose another hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jeremy M
VillaEmiliaHotel, Director Comercial at Hotel Villa Emilia, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
We are proud to offer our valued guests a Chic & Stylish hotel in an excellent location, at a short walking distance to all major sites and right on the underground line (L1 Rocafort), only three stops away from Plaça Catalunya. The Villa Emilia is the perfect place for those who do not feel like staying in the extremely busy touristy areas. Its rooms are stylish and carefully designed, with a standard comfortable size, 23 to 27 m2, compared to most European hotel rooms. Its beds are high quality with soft Egyptian cotton sheets and mattresses designed for the right balance of support and comfort. Our hotel works hard to make our guests´ experiences pleasant and worthy. We are sorry that your impression of the hotel so sadly differs from that of other guests. But thank you for your comments!
London
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We have just returned from a four night stay at the hotel Villa Emilia in Barcelona.
What a great hotel - the staff were excellent and everybody was so helpful.
A special mention must go to Antonio who made the whole breakfast experience so
enjoyable.He made sure the first coffee or tea of the morning was with us within
seconds of us sitting down and made certain nothing ran out on the buffet style
breakfast.This was all done with a smile and a friendly manner.
The breakfast itself was first class - cereal,pastries,hams,cheese,toast,freshly squeezed
orange juice, you could even boil your own eggs (I found 7 minutes 20 seconds in the water
was perfect !!).
Our room was well appointed with a great shower.It was situated toward the rear of
the hotel on the sixth floor which provided undisturbed nights' sleep.
The hotel Zinc bar seemed to have its own identity and was well
patronised by non residents and residents alike.
The hotel is well situated in the Eixample district and 50 metres from the Rocafort
metro station which is 5 minutes and three stops from the Placa de Catalunya in the
heart of Barcelona.
Tip - Try the Runnerbean free walking tours from Placa Reial every morning. Our guide
Catherine was great - funny and informative.

Room Tip: We found our 6th floor room (600) very quiet if you need a good nights sleep. N.B. I found I couldn...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights on a mid-week city visit, it is a very tidy and well kept boutique hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful and checking in and out was smooth and professional. our room was quite small but clean and all you really needed as a base to see the sights. Breakfast was excellent a wide choice of help your self cereals, meats, cheeses and pastries, with all the usual drinks. Seating is a wee bit cramped and the buffet area did become crowded on our last day (a friday).

I would give this hotel and excellent apart from when we arrived 15:40 the food had finished, when I enquired I was given the address of a nearby cafe' - a nice touch (which we've had at other hotels) would have been the offer to make up some sandwiches.

It is well placed for the Metro with Rocafort just round the corner and Urgell in easy walking distance (5-10 mins). During our visit it was too cold and windy to use the roof top bar which looked lovely, also the hotel put on free coffee/tea and pastries between 17:00-19:00 which was very welcome.

Room Tip: Our room was on a corner and had good views overlooking the intersection of 3 roads.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
VillaEmiliaHotel, Director Comercial at Hotel Villa Emilia, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
We truly appreciate the positive things you made mention of Hotel Villa Emilia. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again during spring o summer time to enjoy the rooftop terrace bar, with music live, comfortable seating and a pleasant ambiance. Thank you for choosing the Villa Emilia on your visit to Barcelona. Wishing you all the best!
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is my second trip to Barcelona within one year. Last time, I stayed at the Hotel 1898, which was great, especially as I stayed there in the summer and really took advantage of the rooftop pool. But considering that this time around I predicted cooler spring weather, I decided to go for a more affordable still very trendy hotel in the very hip Eixample neighborhood. I was not disappointed. The hotel was everything I had hoped for. The lobby is very inviting, with a great piano bar and good restaurant. The room was a good mix of modern yet practical design. For example, there was enough space around the bed to be able to move around freely. The dresser was also quite spacious. What I especially appreciated was the fact that the large windows opened completely, allowing for a nice breeze while taking a siesta on the comfortable bed. Compared to Hotel 1898, the design here was maybe not as 'designy', but I have to say that the layout of the room and the amount of light in the room made me like this room better than its more pricey competitor on the Rambla. That said, I would probably go back to Hotel 1898 if I planned to be in Barcelona in the summer, as the rooftop there was just so much nicer than that in Villa Emilia (which was nice but lacked the pool and that loungy atmosphere that the Hotel 1898 rooftop offers).
One word to the neighborhood of Villa Emilia: I love exploring areas of a city that are less touristy and where you can discover a city without needing a travel guide. The Eixample is such a neighborhood. This are has some really cool blocks, like the one around Carrer del Parlament and Carrer de Viladomat which is becoming the Hippster neighborhood of Barcelona. Other streets have some cool street art, amazing architecture and great restaurants. All this is at the doorstep of Villa Emilia. Also, there is a subway stop just a block from the hotel which is extremely convenient. And to my big surprise, the subway system in Barcelona is better than that of New York. Trains come every 5 minutes, and every station has a digital sign indicating the time till the next train arrival. Plus, on the weekend, the train runs pretty much all night. So if you are up for an upscale, yet pretty affordable stay in Barcelona away from all the tourist madness, in a cool neighborhood close to the subway, this is the place to stay.
Oh, and one last useful tip: when you take the Aerobus from the Airport, get out on the stop right after Plaza Espayna. This stop is called Urgell, and is just 3 blocks from the hotel (easy walking even with luggage). No need to take stay on the bus all the way to Plaza Catalunya just to backtrack to the hotel.

Room Tip: Note that some rooms on have bad wifi reception. It was the case for me on the highest floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo