“We had a fantastic stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa Emilia

Villa Emilia
Ranked #40 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
New York City, New York
“We had a fantastic stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We went on a couples trip for Memorial Day weekend to Barcelona and selected Villa Emilia for our stay based on great reviews, pics and price!

We prefer to be "out of the tourist zone", so being in this area was just perfect for us. We were able to walk to all the best parts of towns (from NYC so we LIKE to take long walks) and found a few places to use the "hop on/hop off" bus passes to get to some of the farther parts of town.

Villa Emilia was perfectly clean, basics were covered and it worked well for us. A solid boutique hotel stay abroad -- room was more spacious than we expected!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kkf114

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a little away from main area but close to plaza espanol and arena. I stayed in the hotel for 8 days for both pleasure and biz. I had a quet room with nice bath which was really great. Deco was like you are at home. It's not fancy but comfortable. Room was cleaned very well everyday. I found that the hotel stuff were hit or miss. I had very nice welcome when I checked in but when I checked out, I was not even greeted and not asked how my stay was or if I need a cab. (different person from the check in) I was also charged 5 additional breakfast which I did not take and we needed to go back and forth to reconcile the issue. After those charges were removed, I said thank you and he just said ok. He didn't even bother to ask if I need taxi though I had huge luggage. He just disregard me and went back. Not sure because it was 7:30am and he was cranky but come on. You are in hospitality industry. The passport control at airport was much nicer than him. I think there are a few excellent stuff including the lady who works at the bar, always greeted me with nice "ola". Overall, room, breakfast and some stuff were nice so will give 4 star.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank ciaohawaii
dekalb, illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We spent 6 nights here. The hotel is small (about 50 rooms) so it does not have everything you would expect in a larger hotel. The location is convenient because it is a block from the metro but out of the main tourist areas. It has a neighborhood feel to it. There are dozens of restaurants and bars within a two or three block radius. The staff are excellent and do their best to make you feel welcome.
The rooms have all the items you expect (no robes or slippers and NO washcloths for the bathroom) and are compact but do not feel small. Decor is modern and functional. Free Wifi is a plus. The beds are very firm and the pillows are a bit too hard for our taste. Having said that, we had no trouble sleeping. Very good soundproofing in the rooms.
This is our second stay at the hotel and we would certainly return when we visit Barcelona again.

1 Thank peter t
VillaEmiliaHotel, Director Comercial at Villa Emilia, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thank you for choosing Villa Emilia for your second stay in Barcelona. We are highly committed in providing our valuable guests with top quality service. With our location, in a busy city like Barcelona, we are making sure our guests enjoy peaceful and comfortable stay with us. This is our ultimate goal. Once again we are very grateful that Villa Emilia remains your choice.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

What a great hotel! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left everything was absolutely brilliant.
Welcome - I am not great on names but I think it was Tatiana who greeted us in a very warm, friendly and professional way. Our room requests had been fulfilled (large bed and quiet). I guess a down side of the quiet room is that it is on the back and they view isn't great - but that was not what we were there for was it? We were in room 31.If you like a bath then you definitely need to request this as the floor plans appear to show only one room per floor with a bath. We went to the roof terrace and I have to say that it wa lovely - but we didn't revisit. Looking back I am a little surprised, but we found the bar so welcoming and cosy. More of that later!
We took Tatiana's advice and ate that night at La Clara - see my separate review. During our four nights we regularly interacted with staff on reception where we also met Monika and her male colleagues - all were exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable.
Room - fine. Everything we needed. Not big, not small. Just right. Good shower in a very attractive bathroom.
Bar - Great! What a team. I can only remember one name - Barbara. She makes stunning G&T's and is supremely efficient at getting me to try as many as possible. They had maybe 25 different gins. 209 was my favourite. We spent a couple of hours in the bar most evenings pre dinner and we both loved it - catching up on things using the very good wifi. A great ambiance, live music some nights and a great team of staff. One of the best Hotel bars I have encountered anywhere.
Coffee and pastries - every night between 1700 and 1900 - excellent.
Location - Great! On a corner site 200 mtrs from Rocfort Metro. From there it is 10 minutes to everything - 20 to Barcelonetta.
Downsides? I would have to dig very deep! This is the only hotel I intend to stay at on my returns to Barcelona.

Room Tip: We were 31 - quiet and at the end of the corridor away from the lifts.
2 Thank Mike G
Thank you for your kind review. Our team enjoy creating the welcoming atmosphere for our valuable guests. We strongly believe that “feel good” factor is what stays in people’s memory once they go back home. Relaxing and feeling happy is important part of our life.
speeknoevul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Very nice boutique hotel located in a safe and convenient neighborhood. The rooms are nice and the service is excellent. I loved the modern decor and the personal touches like the free bottle of wine upon arrival. Additionally, the staff went above and beyond to help me with my travels around town. The very friendly gentleman at reception even put my tour on his credit card since I was having trouble with mine. His gesture saved me HOURS as I was able to quickly access the attraction and even make it to another before my flight. Above and beyond - great service! :)
The only criticism I have is that they are in need of MORE staff. There were a few times that I had to wait quite a while to be taken care and on one occasion I had to go down to reception to get something (vs. having it brought to my room).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
VillaEmiliaHotel, Director Comercial at Villa Emilia, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
We wanted to take this moment to sincerely thank you for taking some time to write this wonderful review. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced regarding your stay with us. We will do our best to provide an even better service in the future. We hope you had a wonderful time in Barcelona. Please receive a warm salutation from all of us here at Hotel Villa Emilia.
Coulonges, Poitou-Charentes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Well hurray for trip advisor. So pleased with our choice. Excellent service from all the friendly staff. Especially the waiters and the lady on reception who always had smiles on their faces and went the extra mile to keep us happy. The room was lovely and immaculately kept, with heating / ventilation that actually worked. The free early evening coffee and tea for residents was a nice touch too. Managed to get a look at the roof top bar but the unseasonable weather (for Barcelona) drove us back downstairs. Will use this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Alison F
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

11-15.-13: I was skeptical about reviews not knowing what to expect but my stay it was delightful. Felt like at home didn't want to leave. Breakfast was the best I've ever had in a boutique hotel. Alan made us feel special every day took care of our coffee needs to perfection. Piano music on Sunday night was fantastic. Our Cuban bartender had the most attention to detail, taxi ride to the airport was just $24 €. Will definitely return!