“5 star service - charming - quaint - it does not get much better than this!”

and 1 more site!
Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #59 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We decided to stay in Barcelona at the end of a trip to France, and initially tried to book a luxury hotel, but found that most of the big hotels could not accommodate two adults and a 7-year-old in a single room (3 of them suggested that we needed to book two rooms - at 300 euro per room per night this was never going to happen!).

However, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as it allowed us to find L'Antic Espai (via tripadvisor). I am always drawn to quirky hotels (not the main chains) and if they are family-owned, so much the better.

Every experience with L'Antic has been top drawer. This included the initial communications (replies to m y emails within minutes, and I had the booking done within an hour of first coming across the hotel).

On arrival, Sergio greeted us and gave us a helping hand to bring our bulky luggage upstairs. We were quickly shown to our lovely room (105, a double and single bed - large hotels take note - it can be done) which looked on to the gorgeous terrace. Abel gave us helpful instructions on returning our hire car to Sants rail station.

From the moment you arrive, you are aware of the quality of the furnishing and the decor. What was particularly pleasing for me was that the owners never showed any concern about the fact that our child (a 7 year old) could potentially damage their valuable furnishings, crockery etc. (believe me the hotel is simply overflowing with wonderful things), they seemed genuinely pleased that we were staying with them, and indeed were very patient and caring with our little boy. They were not to know that our son is quite mature and very careful for his age, but I know that the staff of many other hotels can make parents feel quite uneasy in these situations.

We were asked if we wanted to take breakfast (7 euro per person), and we decided ( I am pleased to say) to aval of this. The breakfast was set up on the terrace bang on time each morning at the prearranged time (unlike us!), and to have a wondeful breakfast (fruit juice, fresh fruit, yoghurt and muesli, toast, divine jams, croissant with cheese and ham, cakes, fresh coffee) all served in quality china, on a terrace surrounded by greenery, and to the backdrop of the gentle tinkle from a little fountain, is my idea of how to start a day. If you can get his for 7 euros anywhere else, let me know. (Forgot to mention that they also served up lovely hot chocolate for our son).

On another evening, Axel (hope I spelt this right) the charming Argentinian night porter, was good enough to set up wine in a chiller (again with two lovely wine glasses) on the terrace.

The beds are extremely comfortable, and the bathroom very clean, hot shower and nice clean soft towels - oh, and lovely fluffy dressing gowns. The original tiles and lovely light fittings all add to the experience.

The guys recommended a number of restaurants but we were only able to use one (the Patagonia Restaurant directly below the hotel). This is not owned by the hotel and is entirely independant, but I can wholeheartedly recommend it. It was quite busy on a Tuesday night, with many Spanish business people there. Do yourself a favour and order the steak (it is shipped in directly from Argentina), and the crepes / toffee combination for dessert is delicious too. The hotel does have an arrangment that allows you to prepay and order from a pre-set menu at well discounted rates from the Patagonia, and It is excellent value. If you have an early start ot make the next day, it is also extremely convenient, but in no way compromises quality!

The guys sorted us out with a taxi for our departure (again, right on time), as well as a very early breakfast, once again on the terrace - at 7.30!

By this stage you realise that we loved our stay at the 'Espai', and we are counting the days to our inevitable return. Thank you, thank you for making our trip to Barcelona so memorable, thanks mainly to your kindness, and your incredible attention to detail!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hostal L' Antic Espai

Reviewed April 14, 2009

A good choice for turism purpose :
- well located in the city
- clean and very well decorated rooms
- rich breakfast
- welcoming tender who explains all what you need to know!
- including free wireless connection

Reviewed April 14, 2009

Stayed in L'Antic Espai over the 4-day Easter weekend. We were looking for a cheap but private room for the 2 of us, but left it too late to find room in any cheap hostels. I wouldn't call this a hostel; more like a B&B with 10 or so rooms (a variety of sizes and some with shared bathrooms I think).

We had been hoping for a place on Las Ramblas, but this was only 10mins walk away. In fact we found L'Antic Espai to be dead center of all the major sights we wanted to see. Within a 20-25mins walking radius, we could see La Pedrera, Barceloneta, Museu Picasso, Park Guell, La Sagrada Familia, Casa Battlo and indeed the whole Barri Gotic. The Renfe (train to Girona) was also at the closest Metro stop, Passei de Gracia.

The room and indeed the whole place was exquisitely cluttered with elegant, fancy, antique furniture. The staff were amazingly hospitable and helpful with all sorts of local knowledge, including the best Tapas restaurant of our whole trip. Every time we went out, they told us to keep our bags in front incase of pickpockets, which we found quite endearing.

We stayed in Room 108, which was supposed to be a single room, with a double-bed. We asked them to let the 2 of us stay in the room, and (as we live in London and are quite used to small spaces) found it completely fine. An added bonus was a small flat screen and DVD player in the room, and a collection of DVDs available for free use.

Breakfast is available for €8, which was delicately arranged but plastic-like, and we didn't like it enough to have it again. The only other negative was a particularly pugnant smell that seemed to come from the drains in the bathroom. As long as we left the door closed, it was OK, but otherwise it stunk out the whole room. These were the only 2 negatives.

Reviewed April 12, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a 4 night stay in this 'gem' of a hotel. We found it to be comfortable, elegant and stylish. An oasis of calm in a bustling and energetic city. Our suite , 102, was well equipped and spotlessly clean. Despite being on the front of the hotel, facing a busy road, we had no problem with noise and slept well each night. Breakfasts were more than adequate and the use of fine bone china added to the general feeling of refinement. The owners went out of their way to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. From the initial booking to the final checkout nothing was too much trouble. We could not have made a better choice.

Reviewed April 9, 2009

We stayed at Hostal L'Antic Espai for three nights and can't recommend it highly enough. It has an excellent location, being fairly central and in the pleasant Eixample district, and only a short stroll away from a metro stop (Passeig de Gracia). The Placa de Catalunya (where the aerobus drops off) is also only a 10 minute stroll away, and la Ramblas isn't much further.

The hosts themselves are very welcoming and always willing to help - whether that's with maps, tips, or recommendations for eating out (all of which were excellent by the way). All speak excellent English and have a good knowledge of the city.

The hotel itself is full of charm and character - what I'd describe as 'boutique'. Rooms are clean, a good size and we also had access to the terrace where the delightful (and plentiful) breakfast was served - the perfect way to start your day. The attention to detail and level of service really is excellent. For those wanting to surf the net, portable laptops with wi-fi are available on request.

All-in-all, great vlaue for money - would highly recommend.

Reviewed April 7, 2009

The service was fantastic, never will forget it. Whit the attention mainly of the owner Abel and his friend Sergio, you feel just as in house. I remember one night a Mexican gentleman, that he was with its wife in vacations, he feel badly, and the owner and Doctor Abel Estebez atend him after 12:00 pm, without any type of collecion. I think that you can see that action in few places.
The location of this Hostal is the best, because who has not listened on theGran Via de les Cortes Catalanes near Plaza de Catalunya, Las Ramblas, the Barrio Gotico, La Sagrada Familia, and numerous Restaurants and nightclubs, all, they are not far for the Hostal L'Antic Espai.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2009

My dad and I stayed at Hostal L'Antic Espai for 4 nights in Room 101. The owners were incredibly welcoming and such terrific hosts. I usually review a hotel and then think, "Oh, I'll try somewhere else next time." Not so with Hostal L'Antic Espai. If I travel to Barcelona again, I have no doubts about where I want to stay: Hostal L'Antic Espai. Really, it was a flawless stay.

The location is, in my opinion, perfect. Just a short walk to Plaça de Catalunya. It also only took us about 5 minutes to walk to Palau de la Musica for an evening performance. This is a lovely area and though the hotel is just off a big street (and our balcony faced that street) we weren't bothered by the noise. The sound-proof windows are pretty remarkable. We could hear traffic though and I thought it would disturb my sleep, but I didn't even notice it.

Our room was just off the lobby. I was also concerned about the noise factor with that, but - again - my sleep was never disturbed by lobby noise. We could hear people talking, etc. in the evenings, but I slept really well at Hostal L'Antic Espai and the mornings seemed really quiet.

Breakfast was also gorgeous! The first morning we had breakfast out in the sitting area and the spread was simply stunning. The following three mornings we took breakfast in our room. You order the night before and then they have yummy breakfast ready for you at whatever time you specify the next morning. This was particularly impressive on our last morning when we had to leave quite early for the airport. Everything we ordered was delivered right on time and was a great start to our long journey home. As was being delivered to the airport...just perfect.

I've read where other reviewers have called the mattresses hard. I would say they are firm, certainly. However, not hard. Firm, but there is also a softness to them. They feel like high quality mattresses. And, the pillows are to die for. They were perfect for me. My dad also said he slept very well and noted the amazing pillows before I had a chance to. I wish I had that pillow at home, actually.

The hotel is very clean. I've stayed in other clean hotels before. What sets Hostal L'Antic Espai apart are the attention to details. Fresh flowers, detailed care in everything down to the porcelein light switches.

You do have to ring to get up to the hotel. I found this to be a comforting bit of security and never had any trouble getting in day or night.

Drawbacks? None. My dad and I both loved Hostal L'Antic Espai and thought the owners were really wonderful! They go out of their way to make you feel special. They're also really warm and helpful with recommendations, directions, etc.

One last thing. The hotel has wifi. So you can bring your own laptop and easily access the Internet from your room. They have a computer in the lobby that they said we could use; however, they also had a little laptop that they let me borrow (it was always available when I wanted to write home and check on my family). That was such an unexpected bonus and really fantastic. We also loved watching DVDs in our room of an evening - the hotel has a large selection of DVDs that you can borrow for free.

Thank you for a lovely stay! We had a wonderful time in Barcelona and cannot recommend your beautiful hotel more highly!

• Stayed: March 2009