“Wonderful experience!”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #64 of 310 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed for four nights in a lovely double room with a private balcony over the Gran via de les Corts Catalanes. There was no road noise and we slept like logs. The area is full of good Tapas bars, and is handy to all of Barcelona sights and shopping (walking distance).
Abel was very helpful with washing, and advice about the best places to look for.
The decor and facilities were a delight!

Room Tip: Best room 102.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Everything wonderful thing said about this hotel is true! BUT no one mentioned the fact that the hotel is located on the 1st, ie 2nd in Europe, floor of a four story walk-up. Which means that my husband (64) with three knee scopes on each knee and me (66) with hip replacement surgery ninety days prior were faced with an impossible task. No help at all, No porter, no lift, nothing!

The result: my husband is having a MRI scan of his back and another one for his right knee after our return home as I write this review, Our two week trans-Atlantic cruise was ruined from their lack of service.

8  Thank noisegram
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thans to let us know your opinion.
We would like to clarify something: Our place have not elevator. It’s located in the first floor from one apartment building from Europe building type. If you travel with a lot of belonging with you, it’s your responsability. It’s also not my fault if you have some health problem. We appreciate that people with some mobility problems don’t come to stay here. We don’t want accidents happens in our place. Especially, if you are not an easy traveler. We are here to help peoples with their luggage and so, but for it are necessary to know your arrival and departing timetable. Please, remeber, we have not a person to carry bags. We don't offer this service. We can help but is not a service we offer.
I think, this reason you mention is not really strong to give only one point to our work.
Sorry and thanks to stay in our place.
Abel Estévez González.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a quaint hotel which is well situated in Barcelona. The rooms are not large but they are adequate as well as clean. The bathroom was modern with a nice glassed in shower. Muhannad, at the front desk, added a lot to our stay at the Hostal. He was very friendly and more than willing to help us get tickets to the museums, help us with our boarding passes and was especially nice to just visit with!

Room Tip: We chose a room on the street. It was a little noisy but we like to see the activity outside. If you...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights in a Double room with access to a shared terrace. The room was not large but adequate and the bathroom was compact but had a great shower. The elaborate furnishings will bring a smile to your face and you will realise you are staying somewhere special. Everything has been well restored with lots of beautiful antiques and china. Breakfast on the terrace ,amongst the greenery and birds ,is a joy and is also served on delicate china.
Your hosts are extremely welcoming and of assistance. There is no one in attendance over night and for an "antique themed " hostal , it had hi-tech finger print access for guests. No worries about losing or carrying hotel keys! It's location is less than 10 mins walk to Plaza Catalunya and Las Rambla. If you are looking for somewhere a little different, this is it ! We loved it !

Room Tip: Any double room onto Terrace....104 was good.
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Located on the first floor of a traditional Barcelona apartment block, you enter through a large elaborate door off a slightly unassuming staircase, into a fantastically decadent interior. Every inch of this boutique hotel is packed with period features and objet d'art that produced amazement and delight in equal measure. It was like entering our own piece of Wonderland.

The hotel staff were inviting, eloquent and incredibly helpful - speaking excellent English. They made food recommendations, and tourist attraction advice, all based on local knowledge and experience. They offered to make dinner reservations on our behalf, and enabled us to make the most of our five days in the City.

The hotel is located centrally from all the key tourist destinations, in easy walking distance of the Metro system and the main Airport train and bus services. Its located in a well-to-do area which always has lots of people going about their business, so we always felt safe and secure.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for room 102 which has its own separate lounge area. Failing this ask for either 10...
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here for three nights, and I really enjoyed the hotel. All of the comments I had read about the hotel rang true. It is a small, quaint little hotel, hosted by a staff that was beyond compare. I would recomend the hotel for the follow reasons:

- Location: it is close to La Ramblas but not on it. This was my first visit to Barcelona and I wanted to be close to the action, but as I am not 21, I didn't want to be on it. This was an easy 5-10 minute walk away on a quiet street (e.g. you are close to the party, but you can get away from it for a good night sleep).
- Staff: I remember reading all these comments that identified Muhanned and Maria by name. I thought that odd: how well does anyone get to know the staff? After staying there, yes, I understand why. Truly the nicest folks I have ever met for a hotel.
- Not touristy: The decor and ambiance were definitely not a mass-market hotel. It is very homey and quaint. For those who want the cold, typical generic hotel, this is not the place. If you want something that feels more like a home, it is a great place.

Some other notes, mostly for my fellow American travelers:
- It is a walkup: 25 or so stairs, no elevator.
- Small rooms: I was going to be gone for 2 weeks, so I took the big-boy bag. I knew it was going to be a little tight in the room, but I managed. It is better suited for a carry-on sized bag
- Tight Showers: It had one of those small 2'x2' showers, which are fairly common in Europe. For my larger sized American friends, these can be a tight fit

Overall, it was a great place for me and I would stay there again.

Traveled solo in Oct 2012

Room Tip: I stayed in 110 which was a smaller interior room. It was quiet - I didn't get woken up by foot...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jgm_09
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We loved this little hotel. The room was comfortable and the location was perfect. We were able to walk to most of the major sites in the city. Muhanned was the perfect host and was very welcoming. He helped us plan our tour of the city. We had room 107 which had a nice sitting room and we were able to enjoy drinks and breakfast on a protected patio. This is an old building decorated with charming antiques. The bathroom is quite small but modernized. We thought this was a great value. There is no elevator/lift and the stairs to the hotel are narrow and steep. Muhanned managed our luggage for us but if you can't do stairs, this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends