“A lovely small hotel”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #66 of 310 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This is a quaint hotel which is well situated in Barcelona. The rooms are not large but they are adequate as well as clean. The bathroom was modern with a nice glassed in shower. Muhannad, at the front desk, added a lot to our stay at the Hostal. He was very friendly and more than willing to help us get tickets to the museums, help us with our boarding passes and was especially nice to just visit with!

Room Tip: We chose a room on the street. It was a little noisy but we like to see the activity outside. If you...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights in a Double room with access to a shared terrace. The room was not large but adequate and the bathroom was compact but had a great shower. The elaborate furnishings will bring a smile to your face and you will realise you are staying somewhere special. Everything has been well restored with lots of beautiful antiques and china. Breakfast on the terrace ,amongst the greenery and birds ,is a joy and is also served on delicate china.
Your hosts are extremely welcoming and of assistance. There is no one in attendance over night and for an "antique themed " hostal , it had hi-tech finger print access for guests. No worries about losing or carrying hotel keys! It's location is less than 10 mins walk to Plaza Catalunya and Las Rambla. If you are looking for somewhere a little different, this is it ! We loved it !

Room Tip: Any double room onto Terrace....104 was good.
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Located on the first floor of a traditional Barcelona apartment block, you enter through a large elaborate door off a slightly unassuming staircase, into a fantastically decadent interior. Every inch of this boutique hotel is packed with period features and objet d'art that produced amazement and delight in equal measure. It was like entering our own piece of Wonderland.

The hotel staff were inviting, eloquent and incredibly helpful - speaking excellent English. They made food recommendations, and tourist attraction advice, all based on local knowledge and experience. They offered to make dinner reservations on our behalf, and enabled us to make the most of our five days in the City.

The hotel is located centrally from all the key tourist destinations, in easy walking distance of the Metro system and the main Airport train and bus services. Its located in a well-to-do area which always has lots of people going about their business, so we always felt safe and secure.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for room 102 which has its own separate lounge area. Failing this ask for either 10...
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here for three nights, and I really enjoyed the hotel. All of the comments I had read about the hotel rang true. It is a small, quaint little hotel, hosted by a staff that was beyond compare. I would recomend the hotel for the follow reasons:

- Location: it is close to La Ramblas but not on it. This was my first visit to Barcelona and I wanted to be close to the action, but as I am not 21, I didn't want to be on it. This was an easy 5-10 minute walk away on a quiet street (e.g. you are close to the party, but you can get away from it for a good night sleep).
- Staff: I remember reading all these comments that identified Muhanned and Maria by name. I thought that odd: how well does anyone get to know the staff? After staying there, yes, I understand why. Truly the nicest folks I have ever met for a hotel.
- Not touristy: The decor and ambiance were definitely not a mass-market hotel. It is very homey and quaint. For those who want the cold, typical generic hotel, this is not the place. If you want something that feels more like a home, it is a great place.

Some other notes, mostly for my fellow American travelers:
- It is a walkup: 25 or so stairs, no elevator.
- Small rooms: I was going to be gone for 2 weeks, so I took the big-boy bag. I knew it was going to be a little tight in the room, but I managed. It is better suited for a carry-on sized bag
- Tight Showers: It had one of those small 2'x2' showers, which are fairly common in Europe. For my larger sized American friends, these can be a tight fit

Overall, it was a great place for me and I would stay there again.

Traveled solo in Oct 2012

Room Tip: I stayed in 110 which was a smaller interior room. It was quiet - I didn't get woken up by foot...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jgm_09
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We loved this little hotel. The room was comfortable and the location was perfect. We were able to walk to most of the major sites in the city. Muhanned was the perfect host and was very welcoming. He helped us plan our tour of the city. We had room 107 which had a nice sitting room and we were able to enjoy drinks and breakfast on a protected patio. This is an old building decorated with charming antiques. The bathroom is quite small but modernized. We thought this was a great value. There is no elevator/lift and the stairs to the hotel are narrow and steep. Muhanned managed our luggage for us but if you can't do stairs, this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed for two nights in Barcelona before boarding a ship for a cruise. Our host was very welcoming and made us feel at home. The room was clean and well appointed and had a beautiful sun room which after traveling for hours, was a wonderful place to sit and have a glass of wine and read a book. We had a wonderful breakfast on the open air balcony attached to our friends' room. With birds singing, it was the perfect setting for breakfast. This hotel is just a short walk to The Ramblas. We will be back!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Over a terrace breakfast, served in high antique style, my fellow travelers from Norway and Minnesota agreed that the right description for the hostal is "odd." It is located on one of the major streets (Gran Via) in L'Eixample in what was described to me as possibly the oldest building (150-200 yrs) in the area. It's a converted, full-floor apartment. Pluses: turn-of-the-century (which century?) charm in decor, en suite modern bathrooms, comfortable bed with excellent linens, good fingerprint security/entrance system, charming maid, short distance to Metro and Passeig de Gracia, good cafes and restaurants in area, and bargain price for the area. Minuses: turn-of-the-century charm (remember great-aunt Bessie's figurine and lace collection?), old-fashioned ceramic outlets don't easily retain plug adapters, desk staffed mostly late afternoon, no elevator (one floor walk-up), terrace accessible only through other guest rooms. This is a place for a visitor who loves antiques and something quite different from the usual and/or seeks a bargain spot for a few days. I had a very small single room and recommend upgrading to something larger, preferably with a nice window. I warmed to the place over two days, but my initial reaction was "What have I done?!"

Room Tip: Avoid the cheapest small single room and upgrade to a larger room with a nice window.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thanks for your opinion to help for a better appreciation about our place.
We can say that is really nice for us to be able to share with other what for us is a good taste. I’m talking about the antic decoration. We love antics and it’s easy to realize if you visit L’ Antic Espai. Of course, you must like antics. For that reason I think L’ Antic Espai is made for peoples who love it.
About the Old Fashioned Ceramic Outlet is correct, some kind of modern devices have problem to keep in. Easy to solve: Ask for adapters and we have plenty of it.
Our Reception Service is not 24 hours working. It’s correct, it’s also not necessary. As you know Our apartment is close to the hotel, we leave a telephone at the desk and we give our telephone number in case you have any emergency. In other words, we are 24 hours available. What else you need??
Reception Service make the service more expensive and with it the cost. Who wants to pay more rather than less?
The interior singles rooms are small but also cheaper. In all rooms we have windows. It’s not allowed to offer a room without natural ventilation. And, of course, we don’t offer it. If you prefer a room with terrace and more space, we have it, but be ready to pay the difference in price.
We get money renting rooms not using the Terrace. The Terrace is normally only for peoples who have rooms which open to it. And for ones who pay more. It’s between private- share spaces.
Our place is really for people who end of the trip said: It’s a home away from home!
Regards,