“Unique, personal, welcoming hostel in Barcelona”

Hostal L' Antic Espai
Ranked #58 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
new york
“Unique, personal, welcoming hostel in Barcelona”
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This hostal was created from a large , full floor apartment in the Eixample neighborhood of Barcelona. While updates were made to create the hotel rooms, the architectural features of the old apartment are still in evidence and I enjoyed seeing this.
The decor has many antiques , old portraits, porcelain figurines , lamps. You may not redo your home in the style, but it sure is fun to look at everything. This is a good, personal experience. Very different from a hotel. The staff is helpful and friendly, especially Sergio. You may end up sharing the breakfast table with other guests, a nice opportunity to meet people. The place is well located, a few blocks from the Plaza de Catalunya, and the neighborhood has many good, small restaurants. While in a central location, with my room facing the Avenida des Corts Catalanes, I found the place very quiet and peaceful at night and in the morning.
The owners were traveling for most of our stay but came back at the end. Abel gave us a lift to the airport. Wish I had more time to talk to him. He's a nice guy and told us many interesting things about the city. I would enjoy staying here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My sister (over from NZ) and I decided to take a break to share a moment of our lives together, so rare these days. We flew to Barcelona and stayed at L'antic Espai. Wow what an absolute delight. A treasure trove of antiques,porcelain and tiffany lamps.We were early, yet a wonderful Spanish lady (staff) greeted us with cakes and champagne. The room was fab with beautifully carved wardrobes, gilt mirrors and gold edged white cotton sheets.Although it was at the front, with a balcony looking out onto one of the main avenue, we did not hear any traffic when the French doors were shut. It was dark and cool with the air con on and we slept very well! The hotel was central to all the wonderful sites and tapas bars.Sergio could not have been more helpful. He marked out our chosen destinations on a map, giving us directions and advise and he even posted our postcards for us. We cannot say enough wonderful things about L'Antic Espai!! We both agreed that if we were travelling to Barcelona again we would certainly return to this hotel. We felt very safe here and i would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling alone especially ladies or anyone fed up with faceless accommodation. Even though our trip was short, we will never forget Barcelona and our stay at L'antic Espai Thank you. Julia and Susie

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here at end of September for two nights on weekend break. By standards of other Spanish cities prices are a little dear for what it is but trolling through web for Barcelona seems to be quite good value for Barcelona.
Decor and is very chinzy and not to everyone's taste but we are getting fed up with anonymous hotel chains so appreciated the quirkiness.
There is the odd issue of maintenance but I am sure that the owners would do their best to rectify if it bothers you. Owners speak excellent English and helpful with local knowledge/ tip - which could be useful if you don't speak Spanish.
We had deal with breakfast included - which was just a croissant, juice and tea/ coffee (no butter or jam). But second day butter, jam and an extra cake appeared.
It has great central location within short walk of main square, restaurants attractions etc.
Overall I rate it as good but as that is not an option I have selected very good.

Trieste
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Pros: excellent location in city centre in a beautiful area close to all main downtown attractions, overall good price for a clean accommodation with a special atmosphere (of course only if you like antiques / bric-a-brac decoration); especially if you travel a lot for business like I do, it is refreshing to experience an unconventional style. Even if simple hostal, you can see care for details (welcome drink, on first day it was raining and room was equipped with umbrellas). Modern fingerprint device for main entrance opening without keys. Mattress quality is good.

Cons: general comfort: it is an hostal so you must expect rooms are small (not even space to keep an open suitcase on floor), tiny bath, it was ok for me as I am tiny as well, but if you are very tall or big you may really not fit in, and breakfast quality (stale croissants, awful coffee) is aligned with the relatively reasonable price compared to city location. There are a couple of excellent cafes just steps from the hostal which I recommend instead.
Internet intermittently (read: almost never) working during 3 days stay. I guess it was often matter of rebooting the router but often no one was at the reception to ask to do it, so no wifi. By the way it is not a reception, it is the apartment entrance equipped with a desk, this hostal is an old apartment (which then again makes the charm of the place) so this is why everything is cramped.
You cannot plug hairdryer in the bathroom, instead you have to use the plugs available in the room (no mirrors unless you stretch out and have a very good long distance sight :) as you can see see pictures.
It may be awkward not finding anyone at reception and having to leave the room keys hanging where everyone else can pass by and take.
It may be awkward also sharing breakfast table with other guests, but many may find it nice.
In the internal terrace where you can have breakfast (only if the room that you need to walk across to reach it is not occupied) there are three poor birds in tiny cages. It broke my heart, we are in 2012 and using sentient animals as decoration, depriving them of their freedom and forcing them into a horrible life is really showing total lack of compassion. I may have rated 4 stars if I had not seen this so sad display of cruelty.

Room Tip: Smaller rooms do not have even space for keep a normal suitcase open on the floor.
1 Thank ors2
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thanks a lot for your text but we would like to tell you our opinion.
Our Hotel has 10 rooms, all different. If you book the cheaper ones, they are small. We have different between a Suite room and an Interior Single room. The large rooms are more expensive than small. It’s better to check before booking.
About if this is a hostel or a hotel is something that our service can talk about. What is not normal the service we offer being a hostel. Please, check the web and you will see that one hostel have less service than what we offer.
The breakfast quality, sorry, is not true what you said. We have three different kind of breakfast. The price is different. But in all we offer quality. How can be a coffee awful? The croissant we get every day fresh croissant.
The Internet connection had some problems in the past. Where in the world you have not problems in it?? Tell me, I will go there!!! We are not Internet Provider. We offer lodging, we charge not for internet use. Where in the world you get Internet for free? My work depends from Internet, if i don’t have internet I also don’t get reservations. That mean I will do everything I can to solve that problem as soon as possible.
We have a little reception. It´s true. Next to the reception we have a living room. We need to use the space we have. If you don’t like, please go ahead to big chain hotel.
This a public place. The terrace tables are to share. You have the option, if you don’t want to see people to seat along inside your room because we offer breakfast in the room (Room Service). You can rent the whole space if you have problem being in a place where others are.
The hairdryer don’t work in the bedrooms. For safety reasons! The moisture can produce an electrical shock. Please, use the plenty electrical outlets and mirrors are in the rooms.
You can take the room key with you. We have also a General Safe in the hotel. What else can we do for you? In 7 year never happen that peoples lost anything in this place.
And last I want to tell you is about the bird. This kind of bird is born to have this kind of life. In freedom they die. I think you must respect what others use for decoration. These animals have better life in our terrace full of plants than in a cage in a shop to be sold. I think are other things in life words. Please, have a look around you.
Regards,
Abel Estévez González.
Lyndhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent 2 nights at this very quirky hotel in September. The whole place is absolutely jam packed with antiques, bric a brac and memrobilia. Each of the rooms here are totally different in size and decor, they are all stuffed full of antiques, luckilly I like that sort of thing, but if old things are nt your cup of tea, you may find it a bit eerie.

The staff were absolutely wonderful from start to finish. Communication with them via email and phone several times before our stay was prompt,and helpful.
We arranged for them to collect us from the airport . They were there waiting for us, and were very welcoming and friendly, the journey to the hotel was a comfortable , fast 20 minutes during which time there was plenty of easy going and informative conversation. On arrival, we were shown our room and offered a glass of sangria whilst we were being shown on maps the best places to eat, and visit.

Breakfast was included, but was very minimal, tea or coffee and one croissant , no butter or jam. I believe other options may have been available, having said this , it was very good and enough to set us on our way each morning.It was served on the shared balcony off of our room. It was served very lovingly on vintage mis - matched china. The only thing I did nt like about it were the 3 caged birds which were also there.
The hotel is very clean and efficiently run by the owner and his very small team. They were all very friendly, eager to help and eager to improve where neccessary.They take a pride in their bussiness and are keen for you to enjoy it and its contents as much as they do.
It is located about 10 minutes walk fom The Ramblas.It was refreshingly different!

2 Thank sue j
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a well-located hotel in Barcelona. The beds were unfortunately rather hard, but several pillows were provided as well. Despite being on a somewhat busy street, the rooms were very quiet (we were using air conditioning so kept them closed). The staff was very helpful and even arranged for us to be driven to the airport in the hotel's Mercedes when we departed - that was a nice perk, as the car was nicer than a taxi and the price was very fair. It's a very small hotel, however, so the front desk is only staffed in the early morning and the late afternoon. I tend to rise late when on vacation and then stay out the whole day, so some days I never saw the staff at all. That was a drawback. I will say however that Sergio gave me his cell phone number upon check-in, so if I had faced any urgent needs I would have been able to reach him.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
pgolpe, Propietario at Hostal L' Antic Espai, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Our Hotel Web Site is very clear in that way, our Reception Service is not 24 Hours open. It will make our service and cost more expensive. I’m sure the people want to pay less instead more. It was one of our solutions to make the cost go down. If you come back to the hotel late, of course, you don’t see anybody. Our customers are living in our house and with the fingerprint system they access in the house without any problem.
The beds are for more of customers very good. It’s different from one person to other.
Thanks a lot,
Abel Estévez González.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is a charming place to stay in Barcelona....great location. Sergio is very attentive. Upon entering, you have to walk 2 flights to get to the entrance. Sergio came down and carried our luggage up the stairs and upon leaving carried them down. The hotel rooms and bathroom are very small but comfortable...beds are comfortable, too! We were in 104 and our sliding glass door opened to the courtyard. It is small but nicely decorated with plants and pottery. They set a lovely table for breakfast with beautiful china. One evening we wanted to sit in the courtyard and eat the watermelon and fruit we bought. I can't remember his name(he was from Syria) brought us dishes and utensils and lit the candles. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends