“Was the wait worth it?”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Was the wait worth it?”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I was in Barcelona to direct an awards ceremony, and flew out very early on the Wednesday morning. The hotel had been pre-warned by the production company that I would be arriving around 11 AM and would need to check into my room immediately before going off to location at 1:30 PM, so it was a little disappointing to find that no room was ready and I was told wouldn't be ready until after 2 o'clock.

I'm very lucky that I don't have to worry about things like that and the production company started asking staff at the hotel why this had happened and what could be done to change it. I was told that I could be downgraded to a standard room from the superior room that had been booked if I wanted the early check-in. Not satisfactory.

I was offered free coffee, and a very nice check-in supervisor called Julia came determined that she would do her very best to get me a room before 2 o'clock. Eventually I was given a room after an hour and a quarter's wait at 12:15 PM.

The room was worth it. Nice big bed, good pillows, balcony, and a fabulous bathroom.

Breakfast the following morning was good, and the hotel were happy to give me a late check out at 3 PM following afternoon, so that I could spend the morning lazing by the stunning rooftop pool (one of 2 in the hotel) before popping next door to the Genis cafe to get a reasonably priced lunch, rather than paying the somewhat extortionate premium prices for food in the hotel.

On my return from the awards ceremony at 2 AM in the morning, I found a small box of chocolates and a chilled bottle of bubbly waiting for me my room - no note, but I'm assuming it was some sort of apology for the delay on check in. A nice touch, and the chocolates were nice. given that I don't drink, sadly the champagne was wasted.

Great location for the hotel right on the beachfront, and near Metro station, just a shame that my arrival was somewhat spoiled. Given that the clients I was working for had booked a hundred and 50 rooms in the hotel, I think they could have done a little better.

I'd consider the hotel though for a weekend visit, and hopefully on that occasion, get to check in smoothly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank claytoncast
PULLMAN-BARCELONA, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Barcelona Skipper, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing such a detailed comment about your stay in the Pullman Barcelona Skipper. These kinds of comments really help us to point out what we need to improve to more in touch with the costumers’ demand and needs.

First of all I would like to apologize for the unfortunate wait that you had to suffer to be able to check in your room. When we grant an early check in it’s because we are able to deliver it to our clients, but this type of service depends on our occupancy rate. If no rooms are available, we can’t allow early check in. Also the check-in in our hotel are not possible before 2pm, so allowing you the check-in at 12pm is already a early check-in.
On the other hand I’m glad that even though we started off on the wrong foot, you were able to have a great time during your stay in our hotel, and also that you thought that the room was worth the wait, and met all your expectations. More over, I’m glad that you enjoy the breakfast as well as our gesture with the welcoming gift.

We are looking forward to hosting you again in the future for an even better stay this time.

Yours Sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

If you book a classic room here most of them are overlooking a noisy road. For us, it was a problem as we live in a quiet village but if you don't mind traffic noise all night its fine. I had asked on checkin for a room away from the road but none were available. However, when I said I wanted to check out the next day a classic room on the pool side of the hotel became available. I found the air conditioning system could not be adjusted to under 19 degrees and found the bedrooms to be too warm for my liking. The hotel was full and there were insufficient sunbeds 2 days running at both pools with people queuing up waiting for them to become available. There is room around both pools to provide extra beds. The hotel is next to a hospital and you hear emergency ambulances day and night!

Room Tip: Pool side roomsare a must
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harrySheet
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel exceeded our expectations! The website made it look less attractive than it actually was!

We have a very spacious and well-equipped room overlooking one of the hotel's 2 pools, and the sea. The bathroom was large and had everything you could want. Free wifi as well, although my phone refused to connect, my friend had no problems.

The jacuzzi by the rooftop pool was an unexpected surprise.

The location is superb, just in front of the sea and Barceloneta, and within easy walking distance to Barcelona's many attractions, which made life easier.

The staff, especially on reception, were absolutely lovely. Nothing was too much trouble. Can't praise them highly enough!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank PaulaMellon
PULLMAN-BARCELONA, Quality & Attitude Manager at Pullman Barcelona Skipper, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to giving us this review, the opinion of our clients are very important and we try to take them into account as much as possible to improve the quality of the service provided in the Pullman Barcelona Skipper.

It is a great pleaser to note that you enjoyed your “spacious and well-equipped” rooms. Also we are glad that you were happily surprised with the Jacuzzi in the rooftop pool area and that the location of the hotel was a perfect fit for you.
I will make sure that your kind comment about our staff will be transmitted and that they are made aware of it.

We are looking forward to hosting you anytime soon if you decide to come back in Barcelona.

Yours Sincerely
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This review is overdue, we stayed here the end of May ,the night before a cruise on the NCL Epic. The hotel is a few blocks away from the pier but a cab is required to get over the road to the cruise ships. We arrived in the morning and had a wait a few hours before our room was ready. The front desk was kind to allow us to leave our luggage and roam the city. The hotel is near a lot of venues including the hop on hop off bus which can be boarded a block from the hotel The aquarium is near as well as good restaurants, Cigar shops, and the big church. When we returned our room was ready and the luggage taken to our room. I must note that we were given a green sustainability room which caught me by surprise. We had to learn the ways of the sustainability hotel room. A great concept for saving energy, we can learn a few things from the Europeans. The room was clean very clean and very comfortable. the view was superb of the medical building, the architecture truly made me look in awe, check it out and see what I mean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share the experience of your stay in the Pullman Barcelona Skipper.

I am glad that the hotel was what you expected it to be, regarding its location as well as concerning the comfort of the room.

We hope you will be able to come back again, and we are looking forward to seeing you soon among us.

Yours Sincerely
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at PBS for my 30th birthday and were greeted with champagne upon arrival (thank you!). The hotel location is nice because it's on the cusp of a lively area to go out, has a sea view, and is within walking distance to Las Ramblas and a train station. The breakfast in the morning was extensive and delicious and the rooftop pool was a bit crowded (could use a few more loungers up there!) but provided a nice oasis after a long day of walking. The rooms themselves are nicely appointed and modern. Balconies provide a lovely spot for predinner drinks or an afternoon read. Would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
cluj
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The room we had was standard/classic but still it was very spacious. Super comfortable large bed.
Huge bathroom with both shower and bathtub; Roger&Gallet toiletries were provided; also slippers and bathrobes, a good hairdrier and an electric radiator. There is also an iron and ironing board if needed.
The rooftop pool was perfect. Very nice view, comfortable sun beds; they provide towels at the pool. There is a second pool on the ground floor, but it is not heated; the sunbeds there have cushions and are sooo comfortable and you can enjoy drinks from the bar there too.

The internet connection was poor at times, so that would be on the minus side.

The breakfast was generally ok, but there are some things to be improved there. On first morning, there was something wrong with the scrambled eggs, definitely not fresh; could not eat them at all. Also on same morning the waffles were not fresh either. On another morning we got a plain organic yogurt and found mold on the top of it. It was surely left out of the fridge for several days, so got another one which was cold and very good; so make sure you check the yogurt you get is cold, otherwise you might end up with a rotten one.
The rest of the foods we tried were good; plenty of choices.
The hotel is located very close to the beach and Barcelonetta is a short walk away.
We liked the stay at Pullman and would stay again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank coryyro
Reviewed June 22, 2013

An excellent experience from checkin to checkout. As an Club Platinum member, I had an upgrade to a delightful corner room. The rooms at the Pullman are large and well equipped with excellent bathrooms. Mine had a jacuzzi bath ( not used) and an excellent walk in shower with a rain shower type head. The WC was separated by a glazed sliding door.
The king size bed was very comfortable with good quality linen and a pillow menu.
The various lighting options were a bit complicated but that seems to be the norm in hotels these days.
There was a very stylish roof top swimming pool with good bar service.
I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few years - they have really got their act together!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Madam or Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing this comments about what you experienced during your stay in our hotel.

We are glad that you found your stay in our hotel very pleasant, that the room fitted you perfectly. Also we are glad to know that you enjoyed the rooftop pool.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon again at the Pullman Barcelona Skipper.

Yours Sincerely,