“Great pension in perfect location”
Review of Pension Mari-Luz

Pension Mari-Luz
Ranked #128 of 736 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. The location is great - in the Gothic area. We shared a bathroom and toilet which was fine - they were very clean and we never had to wait to use them. The room was small but that was no problem. The staff were friendly and helpful and recommended some places to eat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Very good place to stay at for a one week trip with friends! It's really in the heart of the city, the hosting is very nice, and it met all our needs! The little kitchen is really convenient, and it's a good way to meet people and have a good atmosphere at the pension.

Room Tip: It's very nice having a small balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2012

It was our chance to find this place from www.booking.com, 'cause in a city we don't know much about, this pension met all our needs. It is very close to the famous street La Rambla, and also you can go to seaside with a 10 minute walking. The area, Barri Gothic, in which the pension is located, is so beautiful with its old buildings and narrow artistic streets.
Pension was so clean, although it has a shared bathroom and toilets, that we were surprised.
Also the price is very good compared to other pensions and although July is the most crowded season.
Just experience! You'll love it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed here for three nights with my girlfriend. The location in the Gotico quarter is great - our room had a balcony which looked out onto the street which was great, and there was often music playing in the square at the end of the street in the evening, so altogether great atmosphere. It is walking distance from the beach, and we rented bikes at the bike shop around the corner to see the rest of the city. For the price and what we were looking for, it was perfect.

The disadvantages were no breakfast and no en suite bathrooms (at least not in our room). Must be ok with climbing stairs. Also, there is little common space, so if you are looking for a social backpacker type atmosphere, better to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Cheap accomodations in Barcelona tend to be more expensive than elsewhere in Spain and this is the case. Compared to hostals in other cities we've been in Spain, this pension has a less interesting quality/price ratio. Nonetheless, it is a great pension. We appreciated the location in Barri Gotic (though it could have been tricky to find without a GPS mobile and without knowing the city). Our only two negative points:
1) it is on the third floor, without lift and with old worn stairs (not easy with two suitcases);
2) the pillows could be better.
Otherwise it is a very positive and agreable experience. The shared bathrooms and showers are spotless all day and we never had to wait to use them. Despite the young crowd, it is calm and quiet when you're in your room. Our double room was large enough and the employees are very friendly. There is also a shared kitchen, but we did not use it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Good location in Barri Gotic.
All rooms were cleaned every day and all towels changed. Many bathrooms, cleaned 3-4 times a day. Rooms were small but pleasant, maybe a little noisy but ok. The stuff was always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Magge4
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I spent 5 nights at the Pension Mari Luz sharing a four bed dorm as a solo female traveller. The Pension reception is on the 4th floor of the town block and there are plenty of stairs to climb to get there. I was welcomed by friendly staff who were able to advise me of the nearest shop for breakfast/ lunch supplies as I wanted to use the kitchen facilities whilst staying at the Pension.
The Barri district (which includes the cities cathedral is sandwiched in between two main streets, close to the port, the Rambla and the La Ribera district, The Pension is not accessible by car so if you are driving there is no parking and if you arrive by bus (as I did) its a walk of about 20 minutes. If it is your first visit to Barcelona the Pension is located in a district that is made up of small streets lined with tall (6 storey) terraced buildings, thus it is very dark in places. The streets are busy till late however and as a solo female I did not feel uncomfortable (I did turn in each night by 10 though so I cant vouch for late night activity). Location wise it was about a 5 minute walk to the metro and I found the Pension very accesible.
The Pension was clean and they supplied towels which was handy as I only had hand luggage. The dorm I shared with 3 others the first night and then one other for the following 4 nights. The kitchen was small but useable and the shower facilities were limited. The Pension was not at capacity when I was there and I would imagine that, had it been, the kitchen and shower facilities would have been under strain. As it was I only waited for the shower for a few minutes if it was occupied and the kitchen was available to me when I needed it.
The staff were very friendly and I noted that there were a few residents who had stayed some time whilst awaiting more fixed accommodation (a good sign that things are well at the Pension). I would recommend the Pension to solo travellers and those on a budget, it was very good value and more than adequate for me.
Thank you Pension Mari Luz and if you go to Barcelona have a wonderful time in a truely unique city.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo