Well, I was expecting a little better considering it is listed as a four star hotel. Realistically, this is a 3 star hotel in a somewhat questionable area.
Pros - The value is decent. I only paid 120 dollars a night and that's a fair price. The staff is helpful. I requested their assistance on a few things and they did the best that they could. The rooms are not bad. I wasn't "wowed" by any means, but not upset about the size of the room or amenities. I will say that my room was facing the road and it is loud at all hours of the night.
Cons - This isn't the best part of Barcelona. Yes, it is located near many things.....but you are going to pass the pimps, hookers, drug dealers and really strange people that seem awkwardly standing around for no reason to get to your destination. Pedantic as it may be, the smoke detectors have two flashing lights which is quite annoying. As you are trying to adjust to the time zone change, these flashing lights make it really difficult to fall asleep. It's not major if you sleep on your stomach.
Conclusion - If you book the hotel knowing that this is really a three star hotel in a not so glamorous part of town, then you won't be really let down when you get here. Knowing what I know now, I would book the hotel in a slightly better location with direct access to the La Rambla shopping area. It seems like we were constantly on that street for food and to get to all of the Gaudi stuff, as well as the Picasso museum.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Barcelona City Hotel- Hotel Universal!Barcelona City Hotel is a hotel located in Barcelona center, a few meters away from Passeig de Gracia. Our hotel offers you value for money just two blocks away from the Placa Catalunya, where the Gothic Quarter and the famous Ramblas of Barcelona begin.Enjoy the city and relax in your room with free wifi, flatscreen TV, private bathroom, air-conditioned, heating... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Barcelona City Hotel Universal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Universal Hotel Barcelona
- Barcelona City Hotel Universal Catalonia