“The best hotel shower EVER!”

Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona
Ranked #128 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

This is actually the first review I've written on TripAdvisor. I use it all the time to help make my travel plans and I thought it was time to give back to the community.

This hotel blew me away.The hotel was in a great location. There as a small wine store right down the street that had 1.5 liters of barrel wine for 2 euros. The hotel itself was very modern. That is a trait I like in the hotels I stay in. The bed was comfortable and the room was a decent size (for Europe standards). The absolute best perk that you would probably not even think was that great, was the cooler of free bottled water on each floor. They keep it well stocked and the water is awesome. This alone saved me ten to fifteen euros each day. Also, having free WiFi available in each room was a big plus. I'd recommend this to anyone traveling to Barcelona.

Room Tip: I had a roadside room with a balcony. This was nice because you could let fresh air in.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kyle D
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

We have now visited Barcelona 7 times and this is the only hotel we have returned to. For us the location is perfect; not too touristy, very safe (although in Barcelona you should always be aware of pickpockets), close to El Born & the beautiful churches of the Barri Gotic. The pool is also a great place to enjoy the sunshine and relax, or take food up and eat at the seating areas.

The rooms are well designed, with nice juliet balconies overlooking the street, but the room we had was a bit worn with scuffs on the wall and a shower that needed re-grouted. These are small issues for us because the hotel was very good value and in the right location. I would suggest that because the street is noisy it would be wise to take earplugs; the street noise didn't bother my partner at all but I was woken up a couple of times.

The staff at the front desk were very nice, as were the cleaning staff, and they gave us maps and advice on eating out. My only complaint is that I asked twice for the shower head to be cleaned as it was badly clogged, but this didn't happen during our 5 night stay. Other than that, we had no issues and we would be happy to return to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank space4travel
Recife, PE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

I'm glad that i made this choice. Clean, great location, really friendly staff, water for free. What else do you want? :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Maria Eduarda M
Dayton, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here in June of 2011 and were pleased with every aspect of the hotel. We arrived in Barcelona’s airport and too the train into the city. Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona was not difficult to find in the Gothic Quarter of the city. The staff spoke English (good for me) and was very courteous and easily took our reservation and had us to our room. They let us know of the Sant Juan party (celebrating St. John the Baptist and the midsummer solstice) that they would have around their upstairs pool and would serve a fruit dessert pizza and champagne.
We found the room to be very modern, clean and well maintained. We visited the pool and, although small, suites it purpose. The rooftop gives a nice view of the surrounding area where you can see Park Montjuic, Sagada Familia and, if I remember right, Park Guelle. The front of the building required a key card to increase security and was across the street from a Picasso museum that we also visited and found interesting.
The location was great for walking to the beach or all around the city. It is about a 5 minute walk to the train station and several shopping stores line the street. The attached restaurant had great food and pretty reasonable cost.
We can not give this place enough praise and completely loved it – we are thinking of taking our honeymoon back in Europe and will stay here again if we go.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beaver96
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

This hotel is in the PERFECT location! The rooms are spacious and clean. When we first arrived, we asked for a "nice" room, and they gave us a room on the 5th floor in the back with one window facing a small crawl space (Clean but no view). There were two twin beds and we wanted a single bed to share so we called down to the front desk to see if they could change the beds, and they said no problem and changed our room immediately. Our new room was #310. We went to go and check it out, and to our surprise we were in the front of the building with an awesome balcony! It overlooked the street and everything that was going on was right there!!! They have free bottled water at the end of every hallway, and two computers with internet on the 1st floor (FREE).

I would highly recommend this place to friends!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street all have balconies overlooking the street. Very cool!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SoCalPirtle
Zuerich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

This hotel is slightly off the main path in the center, but that makes it more interesting ...and more of a "find". The area is best explored on foot, as most of it is lanes and pedestrian streets. The hotel is on the edge of the gothic "old town", in an area that is getting a bit more touristy each time I go to Barcelona. The location is good, in that it is only a couple blocks away from some excellent bars, tapas places and great street life... but the couple blocks also mean that the hotel is quiet enough.

The hotel is on a main street, so it is wise to get a room on an upper floor if possible - just to avoid the street and pedestrian noise The rooms are newly renovated, and the windows are quite good for soundproofing. The rooms are furnished in modern (but somewhat cheap) style, but they are comfortable and spacious enough - rare in expensive downtown Barcelona. The hotel has WiFi (included) and also a PC station on the 2nd floor - both very convenient for the business traveler.

The restaurant downstairs serves an (included) buffet breakfast, and the quality and selection is very acceptable. I also hear the (asian fusion) food is good for dinner, but given the proximity of tapas and spanish places nearby I have always wanted to "go local".

The staff are helpful in a proficient manner. The service has always been very professional. All in all... the price / value / location / style balance is very good, and I will not hesitate to go back again for either biz or personal travel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on an upper floor - to avoid the street noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo