“Cool shop, but best to visit during the day”
Review of Papabubble

Papabubble
Ranked #9 of 345 Shopping in Barcelona
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have been here on 2 visits to Barcelona, the first because I read about it somewhere (probably the Lonely Planet guide) during the day as I was on holiday, and the second in the evening as I was working in Barcelona.

The daytime visit was much more interesting as sweets were actually being made, although it is a tiny shop and hence gets very busy. The evening visit was just because we were passing and I recognised it from my first visit. Initially I thought the shop had closed down because it looked very dark & there wasn't much inside, but on closer inspection there were a few people inside, so I ventured in.

I didn't buy anything the first time due to the crowds, so the second time I opted for some passion fruit sweets. The detail on all of the sweets is just amazing, but you do pay for this! However, I waited for about 10 minutes to pay because a couple were at the counter designing some sweets for their wedding. The guy serving them was not the only person in the shop & I thought the staff could have been a bit more attentive, but I guess a big sale like that is more important!

Overall, I'd say the shop is worth a visit if you happen to be in the area during the day, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

All reviews
"artisan"
in 4 reviews
"video"

Reviewed July 24, 2012

You have to get there around 4PM to watch the candy artists pouring the syrup onto cold marble slabs to start the candy crafting. We were there with one other family anticipating the session to begin.

Two candy artists mixed colors into the syrup to prepare all the colors required to make a small bit of candy with the initials A (heart) G, inside a circle, about 1/2 " in diameter. They worked quickly to get the designs created before the candy hardened.

The candy making process took about an hour. Other people came to watch and sample the candies. We were all charmed and intrigued.

Candies: very tasty. All sorts of flavors are available for sale. We purchased a variety of candy but they are so pretty that the kids refused to allow us to eat them.

Shop: There isn't much to it. It is small but perfect for viewing the daily candy making.

Prices: The small packages of hard candy sell for 4-6 Euro. Many flavors and designs are available. Large lollipops, combinations of flavors and softer candies are also available.

Papbubble has a shop in NYC.

1  Thank tennis105
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This was on my list of things to do, but when we entered there was hardly anything inside! There was a few people working that didn't seem to notice us enter, and then a single row of candies. That was about it. A bit anti-climatic!

1  Thank royaltrux
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Papabubble is worth a visit even if you don't want to purchase any of the sticky sweets on offer. The staff create the sweets infront of you and explain the whole process. Very Charlie & the Chocolate Factory in some respects. If you can't resist buying (I couldn't) there are bags of colourful and flavoursome delights to be had. I opted for a strawberry lolly that lasted most of the afternoon as we wandered around Bari Gotic. Good fun.

1  Thank rossiter80