“Perfect location and eventually good hotel!”
Review of Olivia Plaza Hotel

Olivia Plaza Hotel
Ranked #37 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We arrived for our 4 night stay at 10.30am and our room was not ready. This wasn't a problem as we could leave our luggage and walk around the city. The hotel is in a perfect location.
Unfortunately when we got back to the hotel, there was some confusion about what type of room we had reserved and we were unhappy about the room they had allocated us. Eventually after speaking with the Front of House Manager, she upgraded us to the Suite on the 4th floor. I can't remember this lady's name but she was extremely nice and very helpful. We were very impressed with the suite and we were able to stay in it all weekend, which was fabulous.
The hotel was clean and the bedrooms well stocked with toiletries and towels. I understand the previous comment about the electric blinds - they are good at keeping the light out, however a little noisy for neighbours.
All the staff we met were very pleasant and accommodating. Breakfast was good with a plentiful supply of everything you need to fuel your day of sightseeing. The only gripe we had was the Wifi. It was quite unpredictable and we kept losing connection. We couldn't get any connection in our room at all.
Barcelona is a fabulous city - even in the rain! We didn't encounter any problems mentioned in previous reports and felt quite safe. We used the hop on/off tourist bus which was very good value for 2 days (31 euros each) and got to see all the sights. We ate loads of Tapas - some better than others, but mostly good! We will be going back to Barcelona and would also recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: There are interior rooms that have no window & are quite claustrophobic - make sure you request...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Victor G, General Manager at Olivia Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Helen,

Thank you for your nice review and for recommending us! I'm very happy you enjoyed your visit to Barcelona!!! I'll take in consideration your problems with the WIFI connection, as it's something we are working in, making a lot of changes to find the best connection for our guests.

Kind regards,

Victor Godall

Reviewed October 19, 2012

My room was overlooking the Square and had two chairs and a small table near the windows (which had a cool electric shade). Unfortunately my room was not ready when I arrived which was a drag. The service debacle was that at 11PM at night someone tried to get into my room. Scared me to death. I told them to go away but instead they came back with a manager. I told him that I would not open my door (obviously). I tried to call the front desk but there was no connection. They called me and it turned out their system showed the room as unassigned. I didn't even get an apology from the manager and it really marred my stay. Also, in the business center there is no printer so if you make a reservation at Sagrada Familglia to beat the 2 hour wait (I highly recommend), you cannot print it out. A multi-miliion dollar hotel and they cannot afford a $100 laser printer? Crazy. Other than that, the breakfast was the best of the 6 hotels I stayed in in Spain. The location was great and the room was super clean and well appointed. Wi-fi in the room. The front desk people were very helpful.

Room Tip: Get one overlooking the square.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel has a splendid location which is ideal for visiting the historical parts of Barcelona.

The staff were helpful and efficient – in so far as they could be.

The room was spacious and adequately equipped. Depending upon your point of view the room decor is trendy and hip or an extremely posh plastic cell. To my mind the rooms lack character. What the official photos do not show, as was the case with our room, is the massive pillar (I assume it is part of the basic construction) running up through the centre of the room.

The hotel does suffer from some serious limitations which I put down to poor management.

For instance the rooms are quiet except for one very annoying aspect. The heavy blinds covering the windows have a party trick of automatically lifting when the room electrics are activated and falling when the room is vacated. This process is noisy and slow – it takes some 40 seconds. Thus while the guests in adjoining rooms may be quiet whenever they enter or leave their room (and this is Barcelona so it can be very late or early in the morning) you are woken by a loud electrical grinding noise at the blinds are operated. It is just stupid.

And another thing. On our first day we left our room at 9.00 am and put out the notice asking for the room to be made up. When we returned at 1.30 pm the room had not been touched. I complained at reception and was told that the hotel policy was to make up the rooms by 5.00 pm! The rooms of people leaving were made up first and then those of continuing residents. I have visited hotels of many sorts in many countries and this is the first time I have experienced this nonsense. Obviously management are trying to operate the place with as few staff as possible. To be fair the room was made up directly when I asked for this to be done.

We had a meal on the first evening of our stay. The food is best described as mediocre and manufactured for some sort of international clientele. It is certainly not authentic Catalan fare. The waitresses did as best they could but only two of them were running both the bar and retaurent. More evidence of saving on staff.

If you simply want a central base for a couple of days the place may suit some people and the location is ideal. It is very much overpriced for what it is.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are to the rear.
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Couldn't check in early so we walked around the plaza area, which is another thing that makes this hotel really good...location. We stayed at this hotel before and after our trip. First time our room was on the 10th floor, what a view! Second time stayed in a suite on the 6th floor, wow! Hint: join the "I Prefer" club to get upgrades.

1  Thank havefuntoday14
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Hotel is in the main square at the top of La Ramblas. Despite this we never experienced noise from outside. Excellent transport links - we got the bus from the airport which stopped in the square. Despite arriving at 11am, the hotel let us check in so we could freshen up before going out to explore. The receptionist was extrememly helpful in providing us with maps and information.
The room itself was lovely. Huge comfortable bed, nice views out the large window, desk, sofa and flatscreen TV. The bathroom was nowhere near as 'exposed' as I had imagined after reading other reviews. The toilet is essentially around a corner and has a screen so there was no real issue regarding privacy. Would definitely recommend - it felt like a really expensive hotel,
although we got a reasonably good deal on expedia.

The only reason I've put 4 stars rather than 5 is because I was woken a couple of mornings by cleaners thumping their hoovers around. Having said this I am a fairly light sleeper.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
oliviaplazahotel, General Manager at Olivia Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear Cat28G,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Olivia Plaza hotel, and for recommending us. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We will take in consideration your comments about the morning noises, and discuss it with our team so we can find the best solution.

Hope to see you back soon.

Kind regards,

Victor Godall

Reviewed October 10, 2012

You can't get any more central than this! Located right on Plaza Catalunya beside Hard Rock Café, you have everything within reach - La Rambla, Passeig de Gracia, shopping, eating, subway etc. At first glance the hotel is super stylish and modern. At a closer look, you notice it's a bit frayed around the edges. The shampoo and soap bottles were used and half full, and the floor was worn. No hot water in the shower.

But the room was quiet, the bed very comfortable and the staff very nice and friendly. Stay away from the breakfast buffet - SO not worth 20 euro!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel. It's off a very busy plaza so expect to see lots of people night and day. It is located very close to many attractions. The breakfast buffet was very good with a large selection. We ate one night at the hotel restaurant and really enjoyed our food. The room was a great size. The staff were very friendly and courteous and gave us many excellent suggestions for dining and sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple