“very serviceable for us”

Barcelona City Centre Hostal
Ranked #271 of 326 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“very serviceable for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

This was our second stay, after lodging here in 2006. The location is excellent, not far from Las Ramblas, and only a couple of blocks from Passeig de Gracia station (trains for Sitges, Airport; subway). We travel with a wheelchair, and we were given a triple at the double rate (less than 70 euro/night, in such a location!). We found the accommodations comfortable, bathroom fine, but with slow shower drainage. Computer with internet is available in the lobby area.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
barcelonacitycentre, Gerente at Barcelona City Centre Hostal, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi!

First of all, thanks for sharing your experience in our place.

This is a bit personal response, I don't find any other way to answer it. Excuse me if it disturbs...

I remember you perfectly as I managed both bookings you made in our place, as on that moment I was working in the accommodation we first opened, the Barcelona City Centre.

As we are a little accommodation (less than 25 people capacity), we are not wheelchair accessible. I remember perfectly your first e-mail when we answered you our rooms were not wheelchair accessible but for us there was any problem to accommodate you, if for you this thing was not a problem at all and considering we would try to give you the most suitable room (we gave you the biggest one) in order to try to make your staying as comfortable as possible.

Was very comforting see you to make a second booking, I think a year after. I remember we talked about the city and its accessibility policies. Nowadays, Barcelona has the most strict accessibility policies at public and private level (new business) over the world. We are proud of it.

About your comments, it is true that the drainage of that room in the shower is slow. It is only for this room, we do everything we can in order to accelerate it, but after some time we have the same problem, just in the shower and in this room. It is one of the "misteries" of this hostel. Probably, the pipe inside the wall is curve or something like this... Maria, the actual manageress of this place, takes always care of this to minimize the problem.

Thanks again sharing your experience with us and hope to see you in a next visit in some of our accommodations in Barcelona. It was really emotive to see your opinion and remember what I was doing five years ago in our company...

I hope I have not bothered you with the answer... Best regards and hope to see you again!

Xavier Franquesa
CEO & Founder
Barcelona City Centre Hostal
Barcelona City Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
san francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2007

All of the positive reviews of this place must have been by the owners themselves. They fooled us into thinking it was a nice, clean and simple hotel, which it was not. They smoke in the lobby, the rooms have bare white walls, linoleum floors, moldy baseboards and weird blankets. And the window opens to a ventilation shaft that lets no light in, so you don't even know if it's light out. To top it off, they make you pay for your whole stay up front, knowing that otherwise you would go out and find a better place after the first night. Although it's on the cheaper side, it's not that cheap and you can do much better in Barcelona. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ichundich
bcncityhotels_com, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelona City Centre Hostal, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Hi!

First of all, thanks for sharing your opinion with other people planing a visit to Barcelona.

First of all, make it clear that nobody of our team write reviews about our accommodations. We do not need it. There are a lot of satisfied customers and other customers –as you—unsatisfied or with some complaints. We are here to listen, learn and answer, but not to write “positive reviews”, as it wouldn't not work for anything. I suggest you to take a look to several places where you can find our place to see that everywhere the rating guests give us is similar (around 8 over 10, actually).

In the second place, Barcelona City Centre is not a hotel, it is a hostel (or a bed and breakfast). We try to offer to our customers as services as we can (wifi, air conditioning, heating, computer ...), but we are not a hotel. Nowhere we present us as such concept.

It is true in 2007 it was a problem with tobacco smell. Some years ago people even smoked in some places and we understand it was something that may bothered you. The next year (2008) the Anti Smoke Law allowed us to forbid to smoke in any space of our accommodations.

Finally, it's true bookings are paid on arrival in order to allow the check-in, but if you cancel some nights during your staying cancellations policies apply. It means that we would refund any amount that doesn't belong to us respecting this conditions. You could ask to know that during your staying.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Elisabeth Gómez
Social Media Manager
Barcelona City Hotels

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2007

We stayed at this hostal in late May early June for 6 nights. The location is wonderful, by Passeig Gracia metro stop, 10 min walk to Placa Catalunya and Passeig Gracia itself.

The first thing we noticed was the smell of cigarette smoke once we entered the hostal (it is on the 2nd floor of a building). Yes, the three workers who oversee the running of the hostal from 9-6 pm smoke in the reception area. Very nasty business indeed.

Our room had mold growing on the wall by the door. They assured us that the mold is the result of flooding a while ago, and they were waiting to paint the whole hostal. We eventually changed rooms, because I would take to coughing at night. The second room was better, it was roomier.

I must say that I hated staying at this hotel. If I had to, I wouldn't do it again. The rooms, for a hostal, aren't bad, the cleaner comes every day, the kitchen is convenient since you could eat and keep drinks there. The other guests there were overall nice. The three working there were abrupt but not that bad. The one thing that bothered me though was the smell. The whole place (even the second room we were moved to) had a tobacco, musty, moldy, and wet smell. Ick. Double Ick. Yuck!!

At 70 Euros a night this wasn't that much of a steal (Try Hostal Girona on Calle Girona). I would stay somewhere else if you are in Barcelona, and if you will visit the city again, stop at 60 Calle Balmes to visit and ask to see the rooms to make up your own mind.

• Liked — Internet access right there
  • Disliked — the smell.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank martini1229
Hi!

First of all, thanks a lot sharing your opinion with other people in this website.

We think the tobacco smell was the main problem during your stay in Barcelona City Centre Hostel and you are completely right.

At the year you traveled to Barcelona it was allowed to smoke in many places and we understand it was something that may bothered you. The next year (2008) the Anti Smoke Law allowed to create smoke-free places and we decided to forbid smoking in all our accommodations.

On the question of the price, Barcelona City Centre Hostel is characterised by a great value for money. There many places you can stay in Barcelona, but many of them have not the rating that Barcelona City Centre has in its category.

I hope you will come just to take a look to our place to judge its value for money.

Best regards,

Elisabeth Gómez
Social Media Manager
Los Angeles / Amsterdam
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2007

They give you the impression that this is a nice chic modern hotel on their website and even charge you for it. What you get is minimalism at its worst. The rooms were bare and it wasn't a hotel at all. There was no receptionist and they had to know your exact time of arrival so they could be there to let you in. They chain smoked in the so called lobby when they were there and there was no ventilation in the place. There was also lots of noise around the insides of the building and I had specifically asked for a quiet room. When I asked them if the noise would go on through the night their response was, why don't you go ask them. I left the hotel the first day to go look for something better but I couldn't find anything else so I stuck it out. Just be forwarned before you book with these jerks.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The miserable staff and lack of atmosphere.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2007

Whilst the hostal, although basic, was clean and staff were friendly, the bed was uncomfortable and when in our hotel room you could hardly hear each other above the roar of traffic. The traffic noise was constant and deafening and the two nightclubs located right by the hostal meant that sleep was virtually impossible - even earplugs couldn't keep the racket out.

Not somewhere I would recommend unless you could guarantee yourself a room away from the road.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

Sept 30th 2006 (one night)
70 Euro / night

My boyfriend and I have decided to put this into good/not so good format. We’re both fairly tall, he is 6ft and I’m 5.8” and we’re both 29 years old.

Good:
-Friendly staff
-Comfortable bed, although one long pillow
-Good size room
-Nice water pressure, but water becomes 2 inches full when shower is on. I’ll never understand why hotel staff can’t see that and fix it.
-The lift (elevator) fits one person and one bag
-Commercial easting area, I don’t think it was a full kitchen. We didn’t use it as we were only there for one night.
-Everything was very clean
-We felt very secure (we had 2 keys to get in the hostal, one key for the room).
-TV in the room

Not so Good:
-Hard to find if you’re looking for a big sign. It is #60 C. Ballmes, but the name of the hostal is only on the buzzer. The outside looks like private apartments converted into a hostal. But that’s what keeps it slightly exclusive!
-No fridge, no ice

I would stay here again.

Stayed September 2006
4 Thank AnAussieCanuck
bcncityhotels_com, Gerente at Barcelona City Centre Hostal, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hi!

Thanks a lot for your concrete and detailed feedback. It was very useful for us years ago when we read it and helps people getting an idea about our accommodation.

The first thing we want to tell about your answer is that, seeing the pics, I see we have really improved our decoration! Now it is more colored...

I think that the best thing is to answer in the same way to your opinions. So here you have our answer:

About things you find as good:
-Now beds have more than one long pillow (following your and other guests' suggestions).
-We fix everything when somebody let us know it (about water in the shower). In this place there is one room that, we cannot understand why, have always the same problem...
-Now the fridge of our "eating area" has disappeared and all rooms enjoy a private little fridge. Eating area has never been announced as a full kitchen, is just a service that helps people to prepare some snack.
-I see you felt secure, now we have also 24 hours video surveillance.

About things you find as bad:
-No fridge: we have had always a fridge in the common area... I suppose you are meaning a fridge in the room, as I explained now all rooms enjoy it.
-Hard to find: in our website and booking confirmations is clearly explained how to find our place. We cannot put a big sign in the balcony as city laws doesn't allow us to do it, just to let you know.

Thanks again for your feedback, which was very useful and with a lot of suggestions, and I hope to see you again in any of our accommodations in Barcelona.

Best regards.

Maria
Manageress (Barcelona City Centre Hostal)
Fleetwood, Lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2006

Three of us took a short break in Barcelona (Christmas shopping)
flew from Blackpool to Girona, coach to Barcelona.
Found City Centre through search engine, do not confuse hostal with hostel, hostal is same as hotel, but may have lower standards than hotel. This one hasn`t in fact our room was better than most 3* &4* hotels that we have stayed in in spain. We had a triple room consisting of one double bed and one single bed a couple of chairs tv and own satelite tv reciever en-suite shower and toilet. It is a small estiblishment occupying one floor of the building.
The staff are very helpfull, and friendly and speak very good english, if you are like me and speak no Spanish.
There are only nine or ten Guest rooms. we shared a comunal area that contained a fridge, and a microwave/grill there were plates and cutlery, (no cups). All the other guests had milk and other foodstuffs in the fridge and we put our own milk yoghourts etc in there. (no one else used ours). we arrived in the early hours of the morning and the staff had stayed back for us, we got a key to the room (swipe card) and keys to let ourselves in and out of the building as we wished. Our room was cleaned and bedding changed every day , we were even told not to wash any plates etc that we used as these were done by the staff. there are also laundy/ironing facilities, and free internet access
via a shared computer in the reception area. I cannot think of any negative points about this hostal even the name city centre 5 mins walk from placa catalunya 3mins from metro. Ideal for a short break, maybe a lack of storage space if you are planning to stay for more than a week, but I cannot recommend this place highly enough. WE WILL BE BACK!!!! AGAIN AND AGAIN.

• Liked — Felt more like a flat than a hotel room
  • Disliked — No view
  • Tips/Secrets — take your own cup
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank camelcaller
barcelonacitycentre, Gerente at Barcelona City Centre Hostal, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Hi!

Thousand of thanks for your effusive opinion, it is very encouraging for us.

You came when we were opened from just 18 months. Some time has passed and now we are not so secret, thanks to people that, as you, share their experience in our place.

We cannot add anything to your explanations, you described our place perfectly. Another guest told some time ago that we were "a little four stars hotel". I think we are perfect for those who look to sleep in a familiar atmosphere but having some standards in their rooms.

Just add that now the guests enjoy fridge in their own rooms and we have renovated several things since you came in our place. Now we are testing to give some kind of cheap but good breakfast and we are working our presence in social networks (a bit late, as our involvement with Tripadvisor).

Hope to see you again and not fail your expectations.

Best regards.

Maria
Manageress (Barcelona City Centre Hostal)