“Quiet, safe neighborhood, close to metro”

Eurostars Monumental
Ranked #317 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Having never been to Barcelona before we were looking for a safe neighborhood and hotel in an area where we could walk safely at night, near the metro, and with free wi-fi. We found it. The room (2 twin beds) was well-decorated - stylish, in fact. It had a little more room than many European hotels. The front desk staff was friendly and spoke English. We had a little problem with getting the TV to work properly, but they eventually got it going. When the blow dryer didn't work, they immediately brought a new one.

There are 2 metro stops nearby - Monumental (on the block), and Sagrada Familia (3 blocks away). Across the street is a pizza/fast food place open late, and a small cafe. Within a few blocks there are several options.

Would I stay here again? Yes, if I am looking for quiet and safe. If you want nightlife, head to Las Ramblas.

We booked on Priceline for about $110/night - which seemed reasonable for Barcelona, stayed 3 nights.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Since I was very happy about my stay in Monumental back in November 2011, I decided to stay there once again with my mom. This time, I booked the junior suite since I wanted to enjoy abit of sunbathing and cava sipping with the views of Sagrada Familia to provide my mom with some extra feel of Barcelona since it was her first visit in the city. What was my disappointment upon arrival when we were told that in the very suite we booked, there was a plumbery leak and the suite was so smelly it could not be used!

Nevertheless, I have to say the hotel management really tried to do their best to replace the suite somehow. We were given a high floor corner room, which was quite big, and which was furnished with all the extras to be found in the suite, such as the bathrobes, slippers, mineral water (only not the terrace........:(((())))))

We were also offered a breakfast which we didnt book since I prefer going to a local Spanish bar to have tostada. Since it was my last breakfast to have in Spain after two years living there, I felt like I will burst in tears. No terrace and yet are they trying to make me eat in some dull hotel breakfast room (especially since i knew the breakfasts are not praised on Tripadvisor). In the end we accepted the breakfast since the price difference between the junior suite and the price of double room was hunderd percent and the money had been withdrawn from my account and could not be sent back.

In the end I agreed with the hotel manager on the solution which was acceptable for both sides - we were allowed to keep the room until 6 p.m. which was perfect for us since we were taking a ferry to Sardinia in the evening and could have a shower etc. before boarding the boat.

This time, the room was bigger than the one I had before, and as nice as the first one. Only the plumbery in the bathroom was shouting for tiny quick fixings - just like the first time - the handle in the bath, the bath was missing the stopper.. the hotel would really make a use of one extra guy to walk through every room once per week, and fix stuff like this.

The breakfast, unfortunately, really is nothing to be missed. The buffet was simply half empty, and a lot of stuff was missing - Spanish ham and chorizo, manchego cheese, tomate rallado, coffee..the guy in charge was a looker with wide smile on his face, and was setting the tables all the time but seemed to be instructed not to refill the buffet althoug new people were yet pouring in so everything would be eaten up.

The parking is not directly in the building but across the plaza in a private parking. The places od the hotel are easy to park in. It is maybe 200m walk from there. No problem to park there until the evening on the day of the departure.

All in all, I appreciate the attitude of the crew to solve the problem with the suite, they really tried their best within their responsibilities, and since I love the boulding and the location, on my next stay, will be staying there again.

Room Tip: The higher the better!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We really loved the hotel.the location is great for seeing barcelona,the metro station is a few steps from the hotel and u can connect to almost any part of the city from there.also very close to the red city sightseeing tour bus.Staff was pleasant and very helpful.best part was the cleanliness of the hotel,spotlessly clean.will surely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank A'sha H
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This hotel was in a perfect location close to metro station, 1 minute walk, the staff were excellent and spoke good English.

Rooms: Not very clean and I had a smoking room (even though I am a non-smoker). They are nicely decorated and the bed is very comfortable. The internet connection is free and was very fast for Barcelona.

If you are going for a long weekend this hotel is perfect, close to Sagrada familia and other sightseeings but make sure you ask for non-smoking room in advance if you prefer. Also, this hotel is under lastminute secret hotels and you can get a good deal for it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank radka1
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My partner and i stayed here for a long weekend and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is close to the Metro and had a great location. Rooms were really goos and the bed was fine. Bathroom was lovely and spacious (clean white fluffy towels daily) and the shower was amazing. All rooms were very clean, modern and good A/C. The staff were helpful and polite. We would recommed this hotel and would return with pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Penny11
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here in may with my husband, it's a good 30 minute walk into the centre, but the metro is right outside and gets you there in a few minutes.

Hotel was clean, rooms were lovely and modern with air con and the free wifi was a great extra. We were in a first floor room and there was no more noise than you would expect from a city hotel.

It's only a few minutes walk to the sagrada familia and there's some fantastic restaurants around there.....it's really nice to spend an evening around there....there's a long pedestrian street if you walk up the road where KFC is on the corner with plenty places to eat and drink. Much quieter than reading to las ramblas and much more enjoyable.

Would definitely recommend staying here, the service at reception wasn't fantastic but don't let that put you off :)

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rsw_88
Reviewed May 29, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Carol M