“Quite nice hotel , short walk to main city barcelona”
Review of Hostal Gat Xino

Hostal Gat Xino
Ranked #508 of 735 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The hotel was quite average, I really cant complaint for the price we paid. But the street the hotel is in is a completely different story. Looks safe enough but I personally wouldn't go out after dark by myself. All attractions are at close distance and there is a La Rambla tube line 10 min walk from the hotel. So its quite incontinently located. Breakfast is ok - just cereals and toast nothing much. but as I said for the price we paid its fair enough.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here mid August this Year 2012. We were well impressed with extremely helpful and polite reception staff- a real credit. Well done. The rooms were very clean. The breakfast acceptable and very good value for money.

Room Tip: Room 501 looks out onto the terrace and the 4th floor you have your own little balcony and can watch...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Sadly as I am sure has already been mentioned, some booking websites advertise this as a Hotel, of which I am sure by now you have worked out it is not. We had also fallen into this trap, so were at first disappointed.

Once you get over that initial shock and rate it as a hostal, you can see its strengths. My partner and I stayed here for one night, the last night of our trip. There are no people lifts, just luggage lifts, so if you don't do stairs, don't come here. Not a problem for us, good bit of exercise after a big meal!

The room was VERY small, no lie, we struggled to put our big suitcase somewhere where we didn't have to climb over it. But it is a private room with an en suite! For a 'hostal' this is a big bonus. Ensuite has toilet, shower, sink with shampoo etc. Not bad. And the air con worked!

The breakfast was really good continental breakfast, nice courtyard on the same floor. Beautiful roof terrace, could do with some, lighting at night? But really well decorated, like a lot of things in this hostal. It is very well presented. Although rather dissappointingly there were a few damp marks on the wall paper in our room. Not unusual in an old building like this, and it wasn't THAT bad but if that sort of thing gets to you....Otherwise clean comfortable and I slept very well.

The location is very centeral, busy lively, friendly neighbourhood. So close to la rambla and most of the best things in the city. Would recommend this place to stay for groups, adventurous couples, solo exploring.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights for a weekend break with friends. First of all, it is a hostal, so I didn't expect a hotel.
Still the room is very small - it just fits the 2 beds and that's it. No flatscreen TV in the room (although it was stated that rooms had a flatscreen TV) - but for a weekend trip, I can live with that. The bathroom is even smaller and does not allow 2 people in there at the same time (unless one of them is under the shower). The room was minimalistic, so looks a bit trendy, but it mainly lacked space to unpack anything. Our room was on the streetside, so we were woken up every morning by the noise in the street of the garbage being collected, and since there is plenty of activity on the streets late at night, it is better not to hit the bed too early.
WiFi reception is terrible, the only place that had good reception was outside in the indoor garden.
Breakfast area is quite small with just 3 long tables that fit 6 people - in most cases it was waiting to get a spot. Choice was OK, but all the good things like sweet pastry was always gone within seconds. Only 1 coffee machine - so expect to wait a while for a cup.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at Gat Xino in September 2011. Though we didn't expect it to be 5 star hotel it was quite good and had all we need. It's just 10 minutes walk from Rambla and the nearest metro station (Liceu on Rambla and St Antoni in the opposite direction). The room was small but clean and had simple but new and stylish furniture.

What I really didn't appreciate was the hotel's locatin. It turned out that the hotel is located in the Raval district, an area that used to have a bit of a bad reputation, and although it is leaving it behind It's full immigrants hanging out. I'm sure it's not so safe after midnight.

I'm not sure I will recommend it to my friend. For myself I would definitely chose another location in Barcelona, not in Raval !!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed for four nights and were really happy with this hostel. I had read the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor and so wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. While the room was simple, it had everything we needed; there was adequate storage, coat hangers, a great en suite, comfortable bed, and the room was cleaned every day. The bathroom was big, with a great shower and free shampoo and shower gel, topped up daily. The air conditioning was brilliant. The breakfast was nice and there was plenty of it. The location was great, just a five minute walk to the Ramblas. Plus the reception is manned 24 hours so you can check in whenever you want.

A really great place to stay in Barcelona. We would definitely use it again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Website does give a very different impression from reality. Our double room barely big enough for one, no chair, luggage space or kettle. Hanging light fitting from bed, no ceiling light. Not a deal breaker - flat screen tv in all rooms is stated, none of our 3 rooms had one. Variously told it had been stolen, was being repaired and/or replaced. One of our rooms had a tv installed on the last day, but no remote control and 'international channels' are just one. Rooftop terrace cordoned off for most of the time. Key niggle - attitude of reception staff, at best dismissive, at worst rude - guest asking how to work impossible coffee machine got an irritated 'I don't know' from staff member with large coffee...Lift situation poor, esp for older guests we saw struggling, and not a lot of signage or info. Location great, rooms OK (but overpriced at nearly 100euro). Cleaning staff absolute stars. Make the info realistic online, give an info folder in rooms, and flag up the lift.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family