I stayed at the Silken Diagonal for 4 nights in May 2013.
The hotel is situated on the outskirts of the city in an up and coming part of town. Much of the development in the area is very new, and there is a large shopping complex opposite with Zara, Disney store, Carrefour etc..
There is a tram, and metro stop within 3 minutes walking distance, which gives you a line into Barcelona centre (Around 10-15mins). Alternatively you can walk (around 20-30 minutes to Sagrada Familia).
There is a lot of traffic around the hotel, as it is close to a large roadway intersection. There is a little background traffic noise at night as a result (I was on the 6th floor).
Room service food is reasonably priced, with many options (tapas, pizza, main meals etc) although the tapas was not up to the standards you would expect for a hotel of this nature. The food was average at best. Apparently there is a tapas restaurant in the neighbourhood, but I preferred to travel back into the city where there is greater choice.
The staff are all English speaking though some are rather surly and inhospitable. The females on reception are generally the friendliest. This may be due to the arrogant nature of some of the guests the hotel attracts (Think Victor Meldrew meets Hyacinth Bouquet).
The pool is a particular highlight, if a little small. The views across the city can be quite spectacular, though the pool was closed for cleaning on one of the only days I could get some use out of it (A Monday, though I'm not certain this is a regular occurrence). This is only open 10:00-19:00 too so be warned.
Another minor gripe would be that any loud noises from rooms above are generally transmitted to below. This includes that of the electric blackout blind motors.
The rooms themselves are uber stylish. The bed is rather firm, but very comfortable, as is the bedding and pillows.
Some of the moving elements of the room...the bathroom screen (required to protect your modesty if the main window blinds are open) and the doors appear to be well worn and have seen a lot of action. A minor criticism, but they don't shut properly.
The bath also pools water on the ledge that surrounds it, but other than that the rainfall shower (hand shower also provided) gives a very relaxing wash.
The tv shows a modest selection of Spanish channels, with BBC World being the only English language option. The tv is rather small for a hotel of this standing.
Wi-Fi to the room is accessed with a code from reception, but is woefully slow by UK standards.
The mini bar is reasonably priced also, and you can request certain drinks to be provided. As standard there is water, fruit juice, soft drinks, lager, wine, cava and champagne (1/2 bottles). Prices start from around 2.60 Euros.
The hotel also offers laundry, dry cleaning and massages (52 euros for 45mins).
All things considered it is a lovely hotel if you have a keen interest in design, and you get what you pay for. It is however a little bit of a novelty, and does lack the polish in many areas to make it a fantastic offering.
There are better hotels in Barcelona, though you do pay a premium for city centre. I think if I were to be looking for another break in Barcelona soon, I would consider Hotel Omm which looks like a simpler offering, but with better food and a better location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- El Silken Diagonal Barcelona (HB4207), se distingue por su moderna arquitectura y por el diseno de interiores, obra del arquitecto barcelones Juli Capella, quien ha ideado para su fachada un sugerente juego de contrastes en blanco y negro.Su excepcional ubicacion es otro de los alicientes del Hotel, ya que es vecino de la impresionante Torre Agbar, el nuevo rascacielos de esta ciudad dinamica, cultural y mediterranea, que firma Jean Nouvel, uno de los grandes de la arquitectura.Las mejores vistas de la ciudad se obtienen desde su piscina... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Diagonal Barcelona reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silken Diagonal Barcelona Hotel Barcelona
- Silken Diagonal Hotel Barcelona
- Barcelona Silken Diagonal Hotel
- Hotel Diagonal Barcelona Catalonia