“Wonderful Location; Not Quite as Good as Prior Reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #23 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
seattle
“Wonderful Location; Not Quite as Good as Prior Reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

While pleased with the 1898, I was dissappointed given the reviews I perused before booking there.

The room we had - a superior room - was beautiful and looked over La Ramblas. Our luggage was delayed a day and the front desk staff was disinterested at best; restaurant recommendations were mechanical: they had a few restaurant cards in a drawer at the front desk and fished one out when an inquiry was made. Staff seemed to have little interest in getting folks to the right place for their budget-tastes.
Perhaps it was a language issuebut it did not spoil an otherwise wonderful stay, location is perfect and booking on the hotel website gave us the best rate which included a fabulous breakfast (otherwise 19 euros per person). I´d recommned but you need to do your own homework re: restaurants; tours etc.

• Stayed March 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank katie243

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Frome, Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

A lovely hotel which couldn't be more central but was still lovely and quiet. The spa and roof top pool really make this hotel and are just what you need after a long days sightseeing.
Our room was comfy, spacious enough and the bathroom had a great huge rainwater shower head and bathrobe, slippers, nice toiletries etc. The only downside of the room was a rather dingy view over the back streets rather than the rambla that we were hoping for but it was nice and quiet probably because of this.
A few eating out tips - Bar Ra behind the market is great for breakfast (as is the market itself), the bar next to the hotel is FAB and you can dance until 3am but don't eat in the Taxidermista restaurant (it was in our guide book as recommended but we thought it was terrible).
Also despite what everyone says about the pick pockets we felt really safe although we were careful and didn't use the underground; we used the open top buses to get around as you can jump on and off as many times as you like. The bus from the airport was great too (only @ 4 euros) and dropped us off in Placa Catalunya which was only 5 mins from the hotel.
All in all a great 3 day break!

• Liked — spa and location
  • Disliked — view, staff could have been more friendly at check in
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank trustytravellerFrome
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2007

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights at the end of February and were very impressed. The location, the staff, the decor, the pool, the roof terrace and the price were superb. Having never been to Barcelona before we chose the 1898 after reading the reviews and also for it's location.
Barcelona itself was fantastic. We would recommend a trip to the Picasso museum, Park Guell, the Sagrada Familia (such a breathtaking place) and La Pedrera. We also managed to get tickets for FCBarcelona at the Nou Camp, an amazing place.
Eating wise we'd recommend Taller de Tapas, Attic (right opposite the 1898), La Fonda and La Veronica.
We'll be back one day and will happily stay at the H1898 again.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Nothing at all.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MT&FT
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

What a superb hotel, lived up to our expectations. Every amenity you could wish for, lovely spa pool downstairs, bar, restaurant and the icing on the cake the rooftop pool. Much to my delight I was told when we checked in that the rooftop pool was heated. Being rather a fan of rooftop pools I'd been looking for a heated one for our stay in January, but couldn't find much detail on websites.

Yes, the bar was a bit expensive, but this is the best hotel (in my opinion) on La Rambla, right in the heart of things. The breakfast was excellent, but try and track down a B&B rate.

Overall I am a tough customer to please, but I couldn't find fault with anything, apart from having to come home!

• Liked — Heated rooftop pool
  • Disliked — Scratched head, but really can't think of anything!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank laura1
Stokesley, North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2007

I've just returned from a short break in Barcelona with my Husband who had fortunately booked hotel H1898, based upon previous trip advisor reviews.

We were not dissapointed, the public areas are decorated beautifully and are a lovely place, to sit and relax with a drink from the bar. On the first night we arrived there was live jazz in the bar which only added to the atmosphere.

Our room was lovely; modern decor, spotlessly clean and the bathrobes, toothbrushes, shaver were nice finishing touches.

We had breakfast in the hotel on both mornings of our stay and I would recommend taking the time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the dining room which over looks the Rambalas. The food was good, with lots of typically spanish dishes including a great tortilla.

The hotel is in the centre of the Rambalas yet is quiet and peaceful inside, check in and check out, was quick and efficient and the staff were helpful and polite. I would highly recommend this hotel, my only regret is that we couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FamilyT-Stokesley
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2007

Stayed at Hotel 1898 for 4 nights - it was great. The reception areas were great, which created a very good impression upon arrival. We arrived early, but the hotel were able to allocate the room with the minimum of delay.

We got an interior room on the third floor. Whilst a Ramblas view would have been nice, the room we got was excellent. Spacious, well set-out, clean and tidy. As was the bathroom.

The rooftop pool was great - and you get great views up there. Obviously, in February its not really sunbathing weather but there is a spacious "leisure" area on the roof that would be ideal for relaxation.

The basement spa was also excellent - the facilities available were great. We never tried the hotel restaurant (plenty of places to eat nearby) and only used the hotel bar once. To be fair, it was pretty pricey - but not excessive.

We would stay here again - and would recommend it to anyone planning a trip to Barcelona.
Fantastic!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ruthL36
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2007

First of all, the 1898 is an excellent Hotel with a brilliant location right in the centre of Barcelona. I booked it based on the previous very positive reviews. Basically I agree with them, but I would like to share some additional observations that led to my overall positive but not perfect experience. First of all, the reception staff was slow and very inflexible the day I arrived. Basic questions could not be answered and the check-in was tedious. I had reserved a non-smoking room: when I asked the receptionist, I was told that the whole hotel is non-smoking but that all rooms are equipped with ashtrays. Isn´t that a contradiction? In effect, when I arrived in my room and I found the ash-tray on the table and one could tell that somebody had smoked in this room some time ago. Furthermore there was one small burn-whole in one of the pillows ==> definite evidence. I metioned that during check-out but nobody could give me a plausible explanation. The check-out also took an eternity and I was requested to give the "fiscal number" of my company that I had to procure from my assistant back in Germany. I was told that this is general policy in Spain but had never been asked for it in other Hotels.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank GAP15