“Good for business but not for leisure”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #27 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed February 21, 2010

The hotel got everything a boutique elegant hotel should have; Nice location, good design, a wonder swimming pool on the floor and even it's a well-maintained historic building. If I come to Barcelona for business then I'll be very happy to stay here. But if you are a traveller that loves casual, free, and design, maybe this isn't a good choice. Stuff are really professional and well trained, but not so friendly as your friend on the trip. The design of the hotel is elegant, but always remind me to behave myself and make me feel lots pressure. I'll still recommend this hotel for people who want to imagine himself like a mid-century noble, but live in a modern world. Or people who have to meeting someone for business in the hotel, and maybe swim or some exercise at a nice place, then do some spa after dinner. But for fun or leisure, I don't think so.......

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Devilmasa
There are newer reviews for Hotel 1898

Reviewed February 16, 2010

I stayed here for xmas 2007 and got a really cheap deal compared to the rates i have seen recently. However, if i ever went back to this city i would pay the current prices .
This is a fantastic hotel and one of the very best i have ever stayed in. Our room was one of the less expensive ones but was beautiful in design and comfort. The shower was absolutely amazing with several shower heads coming from different angles. I could have stayed in there for the whole trip.
The hotel is in a great location- just a step out and you are on La Ramblas.
The breakfast was good and the pool was nice. The gym, however, was inadequate and only contained a very limited amount of cardio equipment. I can't remenber seeing any weights.
One tip- if you are visiting the city over xmas, be prepared for a lot of the bars and restaurants to be closed.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Decided on this hotel becuase of Trip Advisor reviews and glad I did. My sister and I stayed here for a couple of days before getting on a cruise ship and what a delight. The room was small but very nice (remember to leave your room key in the slot to keep the light on) and the rooftop bar was the BEST!!!! Great tapas and drinks. I did get pickpocketed so be careful on the streets - I let my guard down for 15 minutes and that was 15 minutes too long and it was an expensive lesson. I still love Barcelona and would always return to this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I stayed in this hotel shortly after it opened and got a special rate. Location is fantastic right on the Ramblas and we didn't have any noise issues. The room although stylish and modern, was quite small and it was a struggle moving around especially with the suitcase on the floor. Reception was always helpful and polite. Bathroom was spotless. I'm not sure I'd stay here again not because it wasn't nice, but for the cost compared to the size of the room. Thoroughly recommended otherwise if you know you want.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Excellent location in the heart of Barcelona
very expensive, small bottle of Coca-Cola €15, vodka and Coke €25.
The restaurant is very expensive, we were the only two people in there, food was okay and would not recommend.
We had the room with the private swimming pool which was great for the kids but was overlooked by other bedrooms (€1,500 per night).
Maximum two people in each room which was a problem because we had two children and no interconnecting rooms.
The room service is very poor.... in fact there is no room service!! I phone down to reception for some drinks to be brought up only to be told that we had to go down and collect!!
I had problems with exchanging money at the reception, one day they gave me exchange £ to Euro, next day they said, we do not do exchange at this hotel!! after speaking to the manager and explaining to him that they exchanged it yesterday he agreed to exchange more, but he was not happy!!

The hotel swimming pools and spa are excellent and would recommend them.
In fact this hotel is a beautiful hotel and I cannot wait to return to it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank coventryuk
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Just returned from a 3 night trip to Barcelona, staying at Hotel 1898. It met all expectations, the staff were really friendly and helpful and the Spa facilities were well worth it. Thoroughly recommend to anyone who's looking for a nicer than average hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Lovely staff, great rooms, fantastic location and the heated swimming pool was great fun in the winter fun and winter rain! We didn't get breakfast included in our booking but did have it one day and loved it. If and when we go back to Barcelona we will be booking this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple