“Good Business Hotel in Excellent Location”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #31 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed at the Hotel 1898 for Mobile World Congress in Feb 2014. My room was quite large with all the amenities including a very good bathroom with tub and shower. Bed, linens and pillows were also very upscale. The only noisy thing about the hotel was that when the subway went under the hotel, you could feel the vibrations. The location in terms of restaurants, stores, walking is excellent. I had a lot of room service while I was there. The service was excellent, but the menu was quite limited.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,657)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed in this hotel post cruise as I wanted to get a feel for Barcelona I was very pleased with my choice. On entry you might think this is a very stuffy staid hotel. The lobby has very dark wood and low sofa seating. The staff is very amenable and provides top notch service. We were looking for a specific tea shop and the street was not eaily found on the map so the desk clerk called and then gave us two differnt ways to find the location. The rooms are quite nice and well appointed and the bathroom, especially the TUB was AWESOME. Location is perfect as it is quite near the downtown center of Plaça de Catalunya and the side exits onto La Ramblas. And for coffee addicts there is a Starbucks just outside the lobby area. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is a lovely building and very comfortable hotel. Just right in the midst of everything- metro just up the block. Was a bit hard to spot when first arrived, we took the Aerobus from the airport- this is really quick, cheap, and no hassle. The hotel has a sub terrain spa that use is complementary with stay and is so nice. The roof top is amazing at night- to bad it was closed for the season while we were there- would be the best place in the city for drinks I am sure. The room was very comfortable- the house keeping team came at least twice daily and refreshed everything- always clean towels and coffee/tea in the in room service. The room we had was on the 3rd floor and was a bit noisy but not to the point of distraction. Oh and I must remark that the bed linens were just delightful. We did not eat at the hotel as breakfast was a bit over the top at 24 euros- however starbucks is right next door and a grocery down the street to help keep things going.

Room Tip: Probably would be better on the upper levels for noise control.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed at Hotel 1898 for a weekend in February 2014. The central location is perfect for sightseeing and offers all the comfort I expect from a hotel of this class. The colonial style decor fits very well to the buildings history, which is a nice extra compared to many generic hotels.

The room was comfortable and very clean, but not overly large. We had requested a quiet room and were not dissapointed. Also check-in early was not an issue for the hotel.

The main reason why we chose this hotel was the stunning rooftop lounge and pool. Although the rooftop bar was not open we could still enjoy the beautiful view. The pool is heated, but we did not give it a try.

The spa area in the basement was beautifully done and above par compared to many other city hotels. I wish we would have had more time to enjoy the indoor pool.

We had booked with breakfast and were not dissapointed. The selection was very good and service timely and polite. Buffet included both continental as well as traditional Spanish items, which I always value. There was an ala carte selection as well, but the buffee offered enough choice for us.

I would definitely stay again at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a quite room ask for one direction inner court.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I just stayed at Hotel 1898 for 4 nights. We were very pleased with this hotel. The service was wonderful, as they paid attention to every detail. They were quick to respond to our needs when called upon. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel is in a perfect location right on Las Ramblas which was close to everything, especially since it was our first time visiting Barcelona. The indoor heated pool was very nice and the roof top has a great view, patio and heated pool, although it was a little chilly to use last week. The brunch was very extensive and well done. The bar served delicious cocktails. My only complaint was the hair dryer provided is not great and our own which we brought wouldn't work with the adapter. This made for some very bad hair
days. Otherwise, a really great hotel that I would stay at again.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Vivre7
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at the 1898 for a Barcelona City Break, the location on La Rambla close to Cataluyna Place, makes it ideal for exploring the city. The Sagrada is only a 40 min walk and La Rambla a wonderful place to people watch.
Our roon was very nice, the bar lovely and the staff very attentive. We spent time on the roof, sitting in the sun (a real treat) by the pool and some people were even swimming. We didn't eat in the hotel but rather went to the many local restaurants off La Rambla were the meals are good and the prices moderate.
We would certainly recommend the 1898 as a lovely place to stay.

2  Thank PandaScotland
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are happy to know that your experience at our hotel was lovely and we take the chance to thank you for your high reviews about our hotel’s services, facilities, location and especially about our Staff!

As you mentioned yourself, the hotel is very well located and offers different services to create the proper atmosphere to relax and enjoy the city.

Look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My best friend and I stayed here over President's Day weekend. I work in the travel industry and was referred to the hotel by a colleague. The hotel is on La Rambla and within walking distance of many tourist attractions as well as subway stops to easily reach Sagrada Familia, Park Güell and other must-see sites. Despite its central location, we were not bothered by noise. In the evenings, we opened our balcony doors to let in the sounds of passersby and a man playing an accordion.

Located within a historic building, Hotel 1898 looks like a castle from the outside but includes modern comforts and amenities. We used the indoor pool and sauna each day -- so refreshing after a day wandering Barcelona! Make sure to check out the rooftop terrace as well. Unfortunately, the bar was closed for the season while we were there but we brought up a bottle of wine and watched the sunset.

The entire staff was eager to help us book tickets to attractions, recommend restaurants/nightlife and deliver essentials we forgot to pack. Victor was especially helpful from the minute we checked in to carrying our bags to the airport shuttle.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank skirtandasuitcase
Nuria G, Director General at Hotel 1898, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your high reviews regarding our hotel’s location, services, facilities and especially about our Staff!

I am very proud of the team and it is always pleasing to receive such kind words as yours. We constantly endeavor to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am happy that they were helpful and I am especially thrilled that Victor assisted you during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind feedback and praise are passed on to Victor and the team and that their service is duly noted.

I am thrilled that you had the opportunity to spend time in the Spa and rooftop.

We definitely would like to see you back so looking forward to your next visit at the H1898 maybe in summer for enjoy our rooftop bar!

Kind regards,