“Outstanding Spot on La Rambla”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #31 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I start this review with a caveat, I have yet to depart as I am still soaking up the last of the Barcelona sun on my deck as the hotel has very kindly given us a late check-out. It was availble so they did not hesitate when we asked last night and this is something that I find most generous and kind and puts one in a favourable mood!
The next thing I have to say is that I am in the best room in the hotel- a colonial suite (501) that is meant to be better than the other two suites on offer. All I can say is that I am incredibly impressed.
While often plunge pools and decks seem to look great on websites, they can be disappointing in person. Not this one! I am wishing I has friends on Barcelona to invite over to my garden and deck! Too bad there is so much to see in Barcelona that today is the day I spend the most amount of time out here- but it absolutely gorgeous.
The staff who are working here all seem to be genuinely interested in making your stay incredible, without over-fawning. The fruit basket on arrival was plentiful for the 5 day stay and while the young lady from housekeeping who took my half finished bottle of unfinished champagne was apologetic, I didn't feel like she was going to be fired for doing so- which made me feel better about the management of the place.
The staff said that they were undergoing a massive system change onthe computers, which could explain what seem to be an unreasonable amount of people at check out every morning- I hope this is the case, as this would be one of the only down-sides of this hotel.
I might also suggest a separate concierge desk, as opposed to" all receptionists having concierge abilities" as it puts one off when wanting to ask a simple question about the local area if you have to line up wiht 15 people looking to checkout. They have room for it down near the Rambla entrance and I hope they have one by the time I come back in August.
The breakfast and staff in the restaurant is well worth it so try and get a room rate with this included.
The pool bar has some great guys working behind the bar, but I would say that 2 of the ladies working the patio, might need a bit of training in attitude. We saw them upset a couple of guests ( not us thankfully) two days in a row. The atmosphere is cool chic up there and worth a visit even if you are not a pool person.
Overall, our rate was great value for money- that is n ot to say it was inexpensive, but I felt that we had an amazing time and felt well taken care up.
Especially liked the complete black out curtains and NOISE was NOT a problem!

Room Tip: if you can- get a 5th floor room with terrace
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank indytravelgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (4,657)

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Came here for my birthday and would return here for sure. We were upgraded to a lovely corner room with an outside view. We were originally given a room overlooking the cafe mirinda which was too noisy on our first night (Saturday) and asked to be moved. We were given the corner room two floors up. My only criticism is that we had to pack all our things in our suitcases which the hotel porter then moved. It would have been nice if they had offered to have our things moved while we were out. That said, we had been upgraded so can't really complain!

For the rest of the stay my only other criticism is that the day reception staff were a bit indifferent and I think could have been a bit more helpful. I used to live in Barcelona so know where places are and how to get around. People new to the city could find the staff not quite as forthcoming with information.

The roof terrace is really great and a lovely place to have a coffee or drink before you start your day. The swimming pool up there is also heated. All in all I loved this place.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank sunnyv2
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed last week for three nights. The hotel certainly has the wow factor when you walk in off the busy 'Las Ramblas' - an oasis of good taste and peace and quiet. Room was finished to a high spec with a huge bed. Not too noisy with the balcony door shut, once we had sorted out the air con. Roof top bar and pool was lovely but sadly undergoing repair while we were there. Had breakfast in the cafe next door which had a good choice of food, prompt service, reasonable prices and excellent coffee.

2  Thank yorkshireterrier18
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed last weekend for my husbands 50th Birthday, We were upgraded and also in our room waiting for us was a bottle of Champagne! The room was spotless, the bed was huge and comfy, I couldn't fault it. Both staff and cleaning personal were always courtious and helpful. The rooftop terrace with pool and bar was simply outstanding again with great staff. The basement pool/spa was also fantastic. Breakfast was also very good. You can just step off la ramblas into your hotel and it seems like another world away. If you are thinking of booking 1898 then do, because we have stayed all over the world in four star hotels and this was the BEST we have ever stayed in. I would recommend this hotel for couples or families with older children. I will book this hotel again when we go back to barcelona and will stay at no other!! I would like to see some offers done for this hotel i.e. weekend stays or family offers as the hotel wasn't fully booked, but i'm sure would be if prices were a little more competitive... By the way my husband keeps asking me since we came home when am I taking him back again to "Hotel 1898" he had such a fantastic time !!!

Room Tip: If you are celebrating some special occasion let the hotel know and maybe they will upgrade your sta...
2  Thank LimerickTripper
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have been in the hotel for 4 days and it was an amazing experience, excellent service, perfect location, the spa was a great rest after long walking days.
The staff are very helpful and kind, the rooms are clean and designed.
I highly recommend this hotel !!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Liatbenaim
Reviewed April 16, 2013

There is nothing wrong with the lobby or the bar or the amenities. There is nothing wrong with the rooms. The bed was nice, everything was clean and well kept. The room was very good size and even though we were is a corner room the street noise was minimal. So why not 5 stars? For the price you should expect that extra service feel. The maids should say hola instead of just moving out of your way. The lobby staff should offer to help with your luggage. There should be a concierge service instead of just front desk advice. If the room rates were 30% less the service would have been perfect. H1898 just needs that little something extra to justify the cost.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brett W
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Had a 4 night stay at Hotel 1898 11th to 15th of April very helpful staff could of been more informative with regards the hotels facilities. Nice room and was upgraded from the Classic to Classic Superior, roof pool and cocktail bar and views of Barcelona were impressive. The spa and indoor pool were luxurious and rarely used by other guests had it to ourselves for nearly an hour.
The bar area would benefit from a pianist in early evening to give it a bit more of an atmosphere.
Well located and surprisingly quiet even though located on La Ramblas.
Would definitely book again when we next visit Barcelona