“Definitely would return”
Review of Hotel 1898

Hotel 1898
Ranked #27 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed January 1, 2013

It's been six months since we stayed at this hotel after disembarking from a cruise, but I finally remembered to write a short review. We booked in here for the first two nights in order to get a ‘soft landing’ from the cruise and indeed we did; it’s a lovely hotel. The rooms are small for the price, but the other hotel amenities make up for it. Beds are comfortable, and room amenities are fine. Noise from the street can be a problem, as many others have said. We had a corner room with a tiny balcony which was nice to see the goings on below but a little noisy at night.
The upstairs pool is great to hang out at on a hot day and the view over Barcelona is good. It’s a bit of a trendy hangout and tended to be crowded. The downstairs pool and spa area is incredible. Loved the underground pool and all the associated water therapies that are included if you are a hotel guest. From memory you aren’t allowed to wear shoes or something into the pool area downstairs, I remember some hassle about that but not too clearly.
The staff are very helpful and the foyer area very pleasant, with cool water and snacks provided. I would definitely return to this hotel if I returned to Barcelona: it’s worth the extra cost. We later moved elsewhere having pre-booked something cheaper and regretted it.

Room Tip: If you don't want noise, ask for one not on the main street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
h1898, General Manager at Hotel 1898, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are delighted to know that your experience at our hotel was wonderful and thank you for choosing us again as your next stay in Barcelona!

As you mentioned yourself the hotel is very well located and offers different services to create the proper atmosphere to relax and enjoy the city before starting like in your case a cruise ship.
Thank you for taking your time and sharing your opinion with us on TA and definitely looking forward to see you again at the H1898!

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel 1898

Reviewed January 1, 2013

8:00 a.m. is the opening time for the indoor pool and fitness facility. Overnight guests literally rush in at that time to use the facilities! Only 4 bottles of water are on the fitness table for take-away. So get there early! (One bottle is in your room each night. Starbucks, around the corner, sells the same bottled water.) Guests who want to turn on the "jets" arrive at the pool when it opens. If you want to do laps in the perfectly heated indoor pool, get there at 8:00--before someone turns on the jets. Ah. Eat in the restaurant for your evening meal. Or. More ah. Order room-service. The menus are short. But the quality is "long."

Room Tip: Choose a room, and hope for a free upgrade. They gave us a corner room "on the house." T...
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I had a great stay at this hotel while in Barcelona. The room was quite nice (and large for Europe with an extremely comfortable bed), and all the amenities were excellent. The lobby had a great atmosphere, and the staff was extremely helpful. The breakfast buffet was good, though probably not worth the 23 Euro. The gym was adequate and the pool looked amazing. I was pleasantly surprised when the front desk had power adapters to borrow (which saved me from having to buy one somewhere). Also, the hotel is in a great part of Barcelona, easily walkable to many bars, restaurants, and the market. I will definitely stay here again when I come back to Barcelona!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ed L
Reviewed December 25, 2012

my husband and i stayed in room 529 for 2 nights, checking out on the 24 Dec. as a prelude to our wedding anniversary cruise. We could not have asked for a better hotel. It is in a fabulous location close by all the shops,cafes and tourist sites. Though the street outside was bustling with xmas shoppers and revellers, the hotel itself was quiet and peaceful. The room was large and the beds really comfy ( and I am fussy about beds)
We also had a good sized private terrace opening up from our room which was lovely. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, always with a smile.
The breakfast buffet was tasty but best of all was the gym/spa area. The pool is underground in a cavern like room with large jets you can control to give you a 'waterfall' type experience. There are even beds under the water to relax on! The gym is fully functional . we had the place to ourselves so had a great workout followed by a swim, turkish steam and a sauna..heavenly way to start the day.

Room Tip: our room 529 had a great private terrace
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My girlfriend picked this hotel for my birthday and it is ideally located 200m south of Plaza Catalunya (where the excellent 6 euro airport bus picks up and drops off every 5mins). That means it is just at the top of the Ramblas but also handy for the newer, swanky shopping district.

Arrived to complimentary champagne for my birthday and loved the ambience of the hotel - all moody black and white decor, dark wood, armchairs, low lighting and soothing music. The lighting in the rooms is adjustable by the bedside to about five different levels and there are great bathroom kits and robes. There is a fun heated rooftop pool and equally good indoor one that is like swimming in a cave with the arched brickwork overhead. The library has decent internet and the reception staff are very friendly and efficient.

What's not to like?

My only quibbles would be i) the price of breakfast/room service food but we skipped all that anyway as there is fantastic food all around the hotel at the Boqueria market, tapas bars and restaurants; and ii) the TV channels. There were absolutely loads to choose from but the vast majority were Spanish and there were some obvious omissions like CNN, Sky or decent sports channels.

But these really are quibbles. I loved the place and the surrounding area. Topped off by watching Messi and co in full flow in the Nou Camp.

Get booking.

3  Thank tpsontour
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We chose this hotel for its great location, especially for a first-time visitor to Barcelona. You are just in the heart of things while coming back "home" to a oasis of calm. We went with our baby daughter and the staff was wonderful all the way. The room, the service, everything was perfect. We especially liked the rooftop pool (great after a day out, or for a morning dip) and bar area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was an expensive vacation, we knew that when we booked with Costco Travel. The hotel was highly recommended and Trip Advisor reviews looked promising.
Our itinerary included a Standard room which, at over $300 per night, we thought would provide us with a luxurious hotel experience.

I was immediately disappointed to find our room was an "inner courtyard" room, which was dark and dismal. The dark red inner walls seemed more of a shaft that housed air-con units, and obscured the sky completely. There would be no natural light to greet you upon waking.

It was awful to be so dismayed that I dampened our initial excitement by requesting another room within the first half hour. It was inconvenient and time consuming to move, but we did so.

Suffice it to say, in my opinion, the second room offered was not much of an improvement at all; the only recourse offered was to upgrade, but I was unwilling to fuss or express further dismay to my significant other. We'd only just arrived from a long international flight and this was supposed to be marvelous, so I let it be.

I think the raves for the hotel are pretty amped up, and I don't understand why. There's one exception. The breakfast was absolutely fabulous! I've not ever had such an extensive array of lovely breakfast choices, all very fresh, colorful, exotic, and prepared beautifully.

Would I stay again? Perhaps. For one or two nights only, though, perhaps in a suite with a view on an upper level. I'd take advantage of the lovely roof-top for an evening, and I would most enthusiastically look forward to Hotel 1898's exquisite breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple