Hotel 1898
Catalonia Portal de l'Angel(Barcelona)
$305
$140
Alma Barcelona(Barcelona)
$321
  • Pool
NH Barcelona Barri Gotic(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$194
$166
  • Fitness center
Hotel Ciutat de Barcelona(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$269
$340
$323
$465
  • Restaurant
Capri by Fraser Barcelona(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$202
Hotels.com
4,746 results
All reviewsrooftop poolla ramblabasement spatobacco companyclassic roomsuperior roomsauna and steam roomprivilege roompillow menutapasperfect locationside streetprivate terracestreet noisegothic quarterthe heart of the citysmall balcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 days in the 1898 in the beginning of february.
This hotel is perfectly located on La Rambla. 5 minutes walk from Placa Catalunya where the the airport shuttle is located.

The hotel itself is beautiful, although a tad dark inside. It feels like evening all the time inside the hotel.

The Room

We had a superior room, decorated in black and white with a view to a side street.
The room itself isn't large, but is big enough, with ample wardrobe space and a big bathroom. The bed is huge, super comfortable with huge fluffy pillows.
The bathroom had a lovely full bath with waterfall shower, really nice ETRO bath products, bathrobes and slippers.
In addition there's a coffee tea set equipped with a kettle.
My favorite part of the room was the light settings, that can be changed from any part of the room and control all the lights. A small but really nice touch.

The only problem we had was with the safe which malfunctioned a few times, but the reception were quick to assist.

The Spa...
This was my favorite part. A beautiful spa equipped with two saunas and an indoor swimming pool. The spa is open from 08:00 to 21:00 which is perfect to start the day with a relaxing swim or unwind after walking around all day.

The Outdoor Pool
I ventured to the outdoor pool only once because it was freezing outside. But the pool is heated, and it's a fun experience to take a warm swim outside in the winter

The thing I could say about this hotel that isn't very good, and only because I have had a different experience in others was that the day of my arrival it was my birthday. Other hotels I have stayed at usually acknowledged this in some way. I have had far less expensive hotels send cake and wine to my room without having to even tell them it's my birthday. But that's all about hotel policy... The 1898 didn't acknowledge my birthday in any way, not even to say congratulations

Other than that, it was a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ayaarlos
Reviewed February 15, 2012

You can't go past the location of this hotel. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped. Free wifi is of course a bonus. The breakfast was price but is an amazing spread. On a few mornings we opted for the €2 cafe con leche at the local La Boquoria in the Pinocchio bar. The food choices near b are amazing with the tapas in the gothic quarter not to be missed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2012

What a great hotel. Right in the middle of town, easy to walk to the places you need to be. La Rambla was only yards away yet we found the hotel quiet and calm.

We didn't eat in the hotel as we preferred to go out. Nor did we have breakfast - the €23 per head was too steep (even more than London!) but there were plenty of tapas places close by so we didn't miss out.

One of the highlights as mentioned by others is La Boqueria. the covered market a few minutes away. Wow, what a place - never seen the like in the UK, more's the pity.

Would we go back there - yes. Would we suggest our friends stayed there if they were in Barcelona - yes.

Without question.

Room Tip: If you are going for a special occasion then let them know. We were going for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and they upgraded us to a superior room. The one down side was the bed was so huge I lost my wife!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian_the_cat
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed here late December into January, for 5 days before our cruise. We had a family reunion with our son who has been living in Copenhagen. He was excited to come to Barcelona for the food. He is a chef. We all stayed at Hotel 1898.
The location is perfect. We could walk everywhere, from restaurants to all Casa Mila and Casa Battlo and dont miss La Boqueria, a most amazing food market. It is so close to the hotel. We did take the hop on hop off bus for an overview of the city.
Right outside our door was the Rambla and amazing sights, sounds and smells.
The lobby of the hotel was lovely with a great bar area where we sat each night until they closed. There did not seem to be a concierge. The breakfast was really wonderful! We did not go to the spa as there is so much to do in the city, who had the time.
Great hotel in a superb location! Just walk out the door and all of Barcelona is at your feet!
We went to Cinc Sentis for New Year's Eve, a great experience (very expensive but it WAS New Year's Eve). Other restaurants were Moo (very trendy and expensive), Ciudad Condal for tapas and others I cant remember. We went to the Asian restaurant right next to the hotel 2 times. Very good..
It was our first trip to Barcelona and I am glad we chose this hotel!

Room Tip: We booked the superior room. My son had a balcony, we did not. I would have liked one! I have heard that there are inside rooms, that is why I booked the superior. I did not want an inside room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank aglang
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Stayed for one night before and after a Mediterranean Cruise. Short ride from Barcelona airport. Even shorter ride to cruise terminal. Right in the heart of La Ramblas, however you could never tell from the room unless you looked outside as the windows were sooo sound proof! Gorgeous decor, a dream bed, wonderful amenities, glorious bubble bath, delicious breakfast and very accomodating and nice staff. Room was not ready as we arrived early both times, but the lobby is plush and comfortable and not too noisy.

NOTE: When walking outside on La Ramblas, be careful. Pick-pocketers do exist and are often young teenagers and swift. Keep all belongings in a cross body bag in front of you or a top inside coat pocket. We had an incident, but nothing was taken as we were prepared and our back pockets already empty.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family