“Bit overpriced considered the experience”

AC Hotel Barcelona Forum by Marriott
Ranked #232 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“Bit overpriced considered the experience”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have spent 4 nights at this hotel on a business trip and there are some elements that require consideration if you are planning to stay here

1) Some members of staff have a limited (or none) use of the English language. This is a business hotel, and it is used a lot for international conferences. A couple of times I was struggling to communicate with members of staff at the reception. I must say that everyone is very helpful once you manage to communicate

2)The hall seems a bit run down compared with the photos on the website, with carpets and furniture that are a bit dirty and worn out

3)The internet is free in the hall and the breakfast room, but comes at a price in the rooms (12 euros +vat per night). The problem is not only that this is a quite expensive business hotel and you would expect free internet in the rooms, but I never managed to properly use the connection i paid for. The internet was available for an hour each day, as soon as I logged in, but then it would go down. The issue has been addressed many times but never really solved. One day someone in reception put me through the maintenance company expecting me to deal with them directly, which i refused to do. Once i complained the cost of the internet was taken off the bill, but I needed an internet connection to get some work done, and the nature of my complaint had nothing to do with the money i was paying

4)The rooms are nicely decorated but quite small

5)The location is not amazing. I spent quite a lot in taxis to get to the centre each night, although I have been told that there should be an underground station somewhere nearby. This is not a place from where you can reach the main attractions with a five minutes walk

6) the breakfast is of good quality, and it was included in the price

Overall i would say that it has been an average experience, maybe overpriced considered what the hotel has to offer (595 Euros including VAT for 4 nights)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Diner1977

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I am writing this review in hopes that the powers that be will see it in a timely manner. I did discuss my concerns over the Internet Explorer Security Threat with the front desk. However, my lack of Spanish and their struggling English made phrases like internet bug seem hard to overcome. The young man did assure me when he saw me a while later that he had submitted a report to the IT department. What it entailed, I´m not sure. Considering this is a business orientated hotel with many conventions and meetings, I would think that a notice would have been put in the Business Centre indicating what the company is doing about the issue (or doesn´t need to do). I also think the 12 euros per day for wifi is over the top like many other reviewers. I just came from Madrid where the wifi was free and even if I had paid it would have come with an interactive keyboard that works with the TV and was 25 euros for three days. Regardless, there are no other options for browser use on these computers, like Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. I´m also disappointed in the fact that I see on their website, for the nights I´m staying here, it now costs more than 40 euros less a night. When we booked this trip through one of the travel websites, we did so because it was so much more exhorbitant on the hotel´s own website - and now this? Oh and yes, Spanish TV really does suck. Which lends me to believe they must spend a lot less time occupying the couch than we North Americans do. The service has been excellent so far in our brief stay and I personally like the decor and location of the hotel. Close to the beach, across from a mall, decent breakfast and a quick hop on the Metro gets you to the central locales you may want to see. So far, so good.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view and if you have any hesitancy over the rooms - just ask to see one. They´ll gl...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

1. Luxury
2. 5 min. from metro station
3. Very quite
The main cons are:
1. Extremely expensive breakfast (20 EUR per person, we ate for 12 EUR for 2)
2. No free WiFi in the rooms.
3. No shuttle service to/from the airport (We used metro to arrive and to leave)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gzaiats
Bursa, Turkey
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stay here for 2 nights for a meeting, my room is at the 11 th floor and has a very good view . room is comfy bath tube mini hi fi system and flat screen tv present in the room, internet is free at the lobby but charged at the room, breakfast is very good but a little limited menu for this quality I think. easy to go to city center, take metro or tram. take t-10 tickets for 10 euros. I recommend this hotel and I want to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank mmmermer
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Reviewed April 21, 2014

After having our reservation cancelled by another Marriott hotel (Renaissance), we stayed here at the last minute. It's a bit farther than where we originally wanted, for the other hotel was in the middle of downtown, and this certainly was not as close. However, I can see why some would want this location - it's quite near the beach. In fact some rooms have a view - ask for that, when you make the reservation. (We did not have this luxury.) I thought the hotel was clean, and the rooms were comfortable. I thought staff was TERRIFIC - very friendly and calm. I enjoyed the restaurant as well. At times there was a strange smell that drifted into the bedroom - I believe it was from a factory (or even the ocean perhaps). However, other than that and the location (which wasn't my preference - I would have preferred something more centrally located), it was a very nice and well-run hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - the upper floors would be best, I think.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Beth D
North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I had planed my first trip to Europe with my Daughter.. This Hotel was the first stop of many. We arrived to the Hotel and the greeted us with open arms. Being that we had never been to Spain the Hotel helped us as much as they can. We even had a issue with our plugs and they let us borrow n reducer for our cell phones.
The most fantastic thing was the food... we had ordered continental breakfast and it came with so many detailed items . We just enjoyed everything they had to offer, even when we had cereal I was not for sure about the warm milk but it was a great experience. the room was comfortable, clean and was very spacious. The location had the double decker bus stop right out the front door. When i go back I will stay again at this Marriott.

Room Tip: The room was on a high floor away from the elevator and was perfect with a veiw of the Ocean.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lovinglifex5
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We were in Barcelona for a conference and my husband and two daughters came along. We stayed at the AC Barcelona Forum and it was a perfect location for the conference at the convention center. My husband and daughters toured through the week and had a great time. The metro station was right around the corner from the hotel and was very safe and easy to navigate. They used it every day and had no troubles. The hotel is close to the beach and it was an easy walk to the sand and water.

The hotel itself was beautiful. We had a junior suite and a connecting ocean-view standard room. There was plenty of space for the 4 of us and the beds were very comfortable. Having 2 bathrooms for the 4 of us was an added bonus. We had room service breakfast every morning and it was delivered on time and great.

Overall, this hotel was very conveniently located for conferences and also to the metro station. I would stay definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family