“Five day break”

Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona
Ranked #236 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel as both smoking and non-smoking rooms so be sure to state your preference when booking.

It was an OK sized room, not very large, but modern with a king size bed which was firm, but comfortable and there were 2 types of pillow which were very comfortable and thick.

There was a glass topped desk and the hotel has free wifi which was reliable and a reasonable speed. There was a 24” flat screen TV, but it only had Channel 4 and Sky News as English channels, unlike the H10 which had loads of English speaking channels. There was a stocked mini bar which had plenty of room for personal items. The built-in wardrobe had glass doors with around 5 hangers and shelves and housed the safe which was free.

The bathroom was clean and modern, fully tiled in green marble. There was a bath with shower over, sink in a vanity unit, toilet and bidet. One complaint was that there was a door stop in front of the toilet which you had to remember about otherwise you could stub your toe. Shampoo / shower gel and soap were provided via dispensers on the wall.

The staff on reception were efficient and helpful with any query, although not overly friendly.

A buffet breakfast is available at €12, but you can get €3 discount if you agree to take it for the whole stay and tell reception when you check in. It wasn’t as good as I was expecting from what I had read. The hot food was stone cold apart from the baked beans and I don’t mean it was lukewarm, it was cold. There was tortilla, bacon, fried and scrambled eggs, baked beans, mini sausages. There was a selection of cold meats and cheeses, yogurts, fresh fruit, toast and pastries which were all good. There 2 types of juice and the orange juice was very good and the coffee was hot.

The hotel has a small outdoor pool and a hot tub, which is unusual for a city hotel, with ample sun loungers and even double 4 poster beds. There were 3 computer terminals in reception which were free for guests’ use, but these always seemed to be occupied by children playing games.

The beach at Nova Icaria is a 5 minute walk and the promenade goes all the way to the marina at the bottom of Las Ramblas and beyond. There is a Consum supermarket 5 minutes away in a small shopping centre. There are bars and restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk.

The location may not suit some as it is a 30-40 minute walk to Las Ramblas if that is where you want to be. We knew the location and it suited us as we have been to Barcelona many times and we were staying for a few days being going on a cruise.

The No 14, No 41 and No 92 buses stops at the hotel and the fare is currently 2 euro.

Not sure if we would stay again as we preferred the H10 Marina Barcelona.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are quieter than those facing the road
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luci5
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear luci5,
We would like to thank you for expressing your opinion and to giving us useful feedback. We are also happy that you addressed some negative points, because them reveal our possible improvement points.
Even if this time we could not meet all your expectations we hope you give us another chance on your next visit to Barcelona.
Kindest regards,
Barcelona
Reviewed December 4, 2012

i have stayed at the hotel for 5 nights, everything was great, staff at reception were great, each one of them, always helping and friendly.
Great breakfast, lots of variation and always very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 Thank Victoria L
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Victoria L,
I want to thank you very much for your kind words that I’ll be glad to extend to all of our team. We all feel really happy to receive our clients positive feedback since it is really important for us.
Kindest regards from Icaria Barcelona,
Bristol
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Avoid the restaurant. Staff are served quickly while we were left waiting for what turned out to be a few lettuce leaves and a tin of tuna. Pre paid only to find "no record" when we got here. Facilities in room dreadful. No conditioner, hair dryer that isn't worth putting in and temperature controls that don't work. Restaurant was the worst though. Even ran out of beer after one glass. Dreadful.

• Stayed November 2012
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion. Your negative feedback is unexpected, since we always try to serve our guests with the appropiate level of service. However, I am glad that you provide us with your feedback that helps us to improve our service. I honestly apologize for the disappointment you feel.
The next time that you visit Barcelona, I hope to get the chance to show you that we can offer you a much better experience and to welcome you back to our hotel again.
Best regards.
london
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is value for money. For a short trip to Barcelona and close to the beach this hotel works well. Having travelled around the world and stayed in countless hotels for work and pleasure I was disappointed by the management staff. When a customer has a few complaints I would think the manager would make attempts to speak to the customer at some point, this did not happen.

Once checked into the room allocated there was chewing gum all over the headboard the headboard. Once we were given another room, the curtain to keep out the light was ripped. I asked to have this changed/fixed but when I came back after a day out this was still not done. I had to yet again go to the front desk and ask why this had not been fixed. Next problem was my husband and I came in at 1/2am and we could not get into our room we had to sit tired in the hallway for 30- 40mins while the maintenance man try fix the door. This then happened again the following night another 30- 40min wait in the hallway. Anyone would be pretty annoyed by this point. I made several requests to speak to the hotel manager but I never heard directly from him only from the staff. This is the first time I have had to speak to a manager through staff and I found this extremely rude. Customers will always have little problems or complaints is it not part of management to apologise and iron things out? So much for customer service.

On our last night we were offered another room which did not make sense to pack up our clothes to another room for another few hours. We were then offered a cocktail, we did not want alcohol as we were waking up early the next day for a flight so instead we were offered a soft drink such as coke or juice which I declined. I was then offered breakfast the next day I explained we would not be able to have that breakfast as we were checking out at 5am. They can just deduct the breakfast from that morning but apparently this was not going to be possible. I told the front desk staff to tell the management to contact me and I was very disappointed I do not understand why I have to chase to speak to management. This has never ever happened to me before. I arrived home back to the UK, no apology email from management just a charge for breakfast.

I never ever write reviews this long but my motto is to treat people as you would want to be treated especially paying customers.

I will definitely be coming back to Barcelona but not this place.

I do have to say Eva was absolutely amazing and helpful she truly makes a difference.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carameluk
Ramon A, Director General at Hotel SB Icaria Barcelona, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear guest,
First of all I would like to thank you the time taken to send us your comments. Your feedback it's very important to me and helps us to improve our service.
I am very sorry to read that your experience with us has been not as pleasant as you expected. I really wish I could have been there to take care about your complain personally. Please accept my sincerest apologies for haven't been in touch before.
I keep entire at your service and although your last experience was not as you expected I would like you give me the opportunity to welcome you again in Barcelona and to offer you a nice and pleasant stay with us.
Please do not hesitate to contact me for anything you might require.
Yours sincerely
London
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed on business while attending a conference at the Hotel Arts which is a ten min walk away. One night at the Arts costs the same, or more, than 3 nights at the Icaria.

Didn't spend much time at the Icaria but room was clean and functional, and free wifi is a nice touch. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review about your recent stay at Icaria Barcelona. We are delighted you really appreciated your stay at our hotel.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you back.
Sincerely.
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

I think the pictures on website is a bit misleading. Location for us was very good and close to the beach which we loved. Apart of the hotel having a bad odor we made the most of hanging out at the pool area. The hotel was not very busy at the time however the service at breakfast and even dinner was so disappointing everyday. We felt like we where guest checking in the first time everyday. Please do something about the two mentioned disappointment we would really like to come back there.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Icaria Barcelona. We are glad you enjoyed our location near the beach.
We really value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct any issues we can improve.
It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcoming you again at Icaria Barcelona.