1,628 results
All reviewsjazz nightrooftop barleading hotels of the worldpasseig de graciabeautiful hotelstar hotelturn down servicejunior suitegaudi buildingstapasloved this hotellocation was perfectsmall poolthe air conditioninggothic quarterconciergecity
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Stayed at the junior suite after getting a good deal through a friend & loved everything about Casa Fuster. From the spacious rooms to the eclectic ambience, the warm & hospitable staff as well as the ever helpful concierge.
What more can anyone ask of a hotel?
Have to add that this "leading hotels of the world" property is also perfectly located. This is where you need to stay when in Barcelona.
Go for it my fellow travelers.

• Stayed: June 2009
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 6, 2009

The location is excellent. Anyone considering a trip to Barcelona should really think about staying in the L'Eixample area - I think that's what it is called! Its very beautiful with great cafes, shopping, restaurants, and Gaudi of course. The hotel looks great from the outside and the rooms do look good as well, but things don't always function. We had problems with the air conditioning in our room and after two nights the hotel did move us to a wonderful suite with great air conditioning but the shower wasn't very functional - water got everywhere and it was very slippery getting out of the bathtub/shower. It wouldn't have worked for anyone over 60. The staff was very friendly and did try to help us with any problems we had. We loved the location and Barcelona so much that despite things not always working (one of our TVs in the suite never worked) we still found the hotel charming. However we doubt we'll stay there again. The hotel needs to make up its mind what it wants to be. A five star boutique hotel or a trendy place. The roof disco was very pretty but the music didn't quite jive with the hotels image and patrons. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Casa Fuster in the future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Let it be said that my initial impression of Casa Fuster was nothing short of revelatory. Maybe it's simply that Barcelona is the most magical city in Europe, but driving up Gracia in a taxi and seeing the building for the first time must rank as one of my favorite hotel arrivals of all time.

My initial observations were overwhelmingly positive. The hotel lobby is beautiful, and I enjoyed bantering with the young receptionist who checked us in. First impressions of our junior suite were also great. The room had been renovated and had new wood floors (they were Pergo, actually, but not the smelly carpet mentioned in some reviews). The bathroom was huge and the walk in shower was elegantly designed. They had set up my daughter's bed in the living room. It was going very well indeed. We began to unpack, however, and immediately I noticed the room was a little warm. This was understandable as it was hot outside and you need to leave your key in the door to activate the electricity. I turned the AC to a low setting and popped open a celebratory water from the minibar. Then the phone rang. Apparently there was a problem with my credit card. I went downstairs and discovered that they had attempted to put a hold on my card for double the total of 5 days in a junior suite. The charge had been denied by Amex. I did think this was a little strange, but I gave them another card and went back upstairs to see how the room was cooling off. It wasn't. Now it was my turn to call. Apparently they were having problems with the hotel AC. Rest assured, they said, it would cool down in a couple of hours.

We left to explore a little and find some tapas. The young receptionist, Borje I think, suggested a place up the street. We walked out of the hotel and it was obvious from just the first few minutes that Barcelona is an awesome town. The people are cool, the streets exciting and vibrant, and the suggested restaurant was filled with happy locales who were more than willing to translate the Catalan off the menu chalked above the bar.

But when we got back to the room it was hotter. I called down again and heard what would become a familiar refrain. The building is old and charming. Don't worry, they said, it just takes time. Meanwhile they brought up a fan. Now this would have been a suitable solution if the fan had actually worked. Alas, it's oscillating function was kaput and we were forced to aim the air in one direction. Not a big problem, but we had two rooms. Oh well. (And the blackout curtain in the living room didn't fully close and had to be fastened shut with a safety pin to keep the street light from shining directly on my daughter's bed. She wound up sleeping with her mother anyway, so I was kept awake by heat and light. I lived.)

I won't bore you with a longer narrative of the AC saga. Suffice it to say I spent several hours over three days trying to get it fixed. The technician came up at midnight on day two, got on a ladder, moved a ceiling partition, made some phantom adjustment and pronounced us good to go. Just wait a few hours, he said. At this point I knew every employee of the hotel and it was clear that the AC was permanently broken in our room, always had been, and that it would never be fixed. For over $500 a night this seemed a tad absurd. Why not just tell me the truth and move my room. Finally this is what happened. We were transfered one room over to a large suite with great AC and a sauna in the bathroom! Unfortunately the placement of the sauna had necessitated a smaller shower and bath combo with perhaps the least safe bathing entrance I have ever seen in a hotel. The edge of the bath was too high to climb in comfortably. Anyone with a knee injury, or maybe on the older side, or a child, would need help getting in and out. And the shower flooded the room...

Again I could go on indefinitely with little problems and oddities. Both our rooms were nicely refurbished, but if you looked closely you could tell that the finishings were cheap and that corners had obviously been cut. Knobs fell off, the safe worked and then didn't, the TV failed, the internet cut out, and if you didn't leave your key in the room the electricity stayed off and the room was hot. So every time we returned a member of the staff had to accompany us.

Despite all this I sort of loved the hotel. It smelled good. The rooftop was nice (pool is a joke, of course). The lobby cafe is stunning. The location is the best in Barcelona. Maybe if I had liked Barcelona less I would have been more aggravated by the comedy of errors that defined my stay at Casa Fuster. But the place is cool (in style, not temperature), and while I wouldn't stay there again, I'm glad I did once.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank harpbook
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Great location excellent staff carpets a bit soiled and bath tub leaked but over all stay was excellent

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guccilady
Reviewed June 10, 2009

Amazing and elegant 5 star hotel with great staff, housed in a 20th century modernista designer building, that turned into a hotel in 2001. Decor and furnishing in good conditions, lovely roof top with a tiny pool (don't have time to swim anyway). Got a great deal on hotels.com. Love it, would defintely go back and stay here!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple