“Summer Vacation”
Review of Casa Fuster Hotel

Casa Fuster Hotel
Ranked #75 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel. Located close to Gaudi House, Miller House and shopping. Great views from roof bar or roof pool. Roof pool is tiny but fine for a dip on a hot day. A short cab ride to the port, the beach, the marina and La Rambla.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank etantleff

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Staff were all very pleasant and attentive. Room was comfortable. Hotel had great view from the roof. We had a drink up there every night about 12-1 am. We were there 5 nights and drawer and closet space somewhat limited. Interesting architecture. Great location. We were able to walk to many things from there and felt apart of the city. Roof top pool too small to even consider. They should convert it to a large hot tub. If you love charm and atmosphere and are willing to sacrifice some amenities (like storage and pool) this is an excellent place. We would return again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I didn't actually stay at this hotel, but had a good look at it.

We drank coffee in the charming café below the hotel, and met a VERY friendly waiter, who offered us to go around and have a look. He told us stories about the building, and invited us to have a look at the bar at the roof with an amazing view. We clearly both seemed and looked like tourist who couldn't afford staying at the hotel, but that didn't mattered! The service was great!

I think the hotels strong sides are the beautiful building and the terrace on the roof. There was a very small pool on the roof as well.
On the downside the rest of the hotel including the service at the bar at the roof top wasn't up to my expectations of a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Casa Fuster is a hotel that screams "5 stars" on the outside, but there's a few things not quite right on the inside.

Me and a friend chose Casa Fuster as our hotel for a 4 night visit to Barcelona. I'll start by saying that on the outside, meaning both the building and the first impressions of our room, things were certainly 5 star quality. But there wasn't a day spent without some sort of a hickup during our stay that took away from the experience.

Straight on arrival, compared to other 5 star hotels I've stayed at, the service seemed cold and unwilling to offer help with anything without a specific request. Without getting into the details, it very much seemed to me like our somewhat young age combined with our "casual clothing" was too much for some of the staff, as I saw the same people take a whole different attitude to service when serving other customers. I don't wear suits on tourist trips, nor can I make myself look 20 years older like the people around me. And whatever my "social status" happens to be, I'm paying (and tipping, and being very polite!) for the visit just like everyone else, so feeling like they don't want me there after every other conversation with a staff member was not something that I took well.

We had a superior room on the second floor. At first, things seemed great. Then the little things started getting our attention: Broken lamps, scratched surfaces, the kind of stuff that could be easily fixed, but has not been. Not the kind of things I'm used to seeing in a 5 star hotel either, even though I'm not too bothered by details like these. However, I was bothered by the very loud street noise that came right through the paper thing walls and windows in our room. Luckily 2 of the nights were over the weekend and the streets were quieter during the morning time, so we didn't bother complaining about the issue - in all fairness they could have very well relocated us to an upper floor had we asked. Still, for light sleepers, this is probably not the place to choose. Old, historical building or not. Swimming pool on the roof is not really big enough for me to call it a swimming pool.

On the positive side of things, the rooftop bar is an amazing location to end a night. Great sights, great drinks and a classy, laid back atmosphere. The drinks are pricey, but with a view like that it's worth it. The service was much kinder on the roof as well. Outside of the noise, the location is great - walking distance from most things we were in Barcelona to see. Massaging bath in the superior room was great. The hotel restaurant had great food... after we managed to convince the waitress we were actually staying at the hotel... Why that mattered, I don't know. If you don't have a dress code in your restaurant in the middle of tourist season in Barcelona, then I suggest you don't act like you do.

All in all, compared to say last five 5 star hotels I've been to, Casa Fuster ranks at the bottom. It's not a bad hotel by any means, but when I pay for 5 stars, I'm paying for not having to deal with stuff like this. Especially being made feel unwelcome by staff is unforgivable.

Room Tip: The higher, the better. Avoid windows facing the streets if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Juho A
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hairdryer...check; extra towel change... check; chocolate on your pillow... check; This hotel ticks all the boxes to reach a 5 star rating, but does not deserve the title.
The doormen and bell boys are the only ones who understand the meaning of hospitality.
The reception staff and their managers do not have a clue. Let me explain.
The decision was taken to do maintenance on the water system, chlorination, as they called it.
That meant no hot water from late afternoon until the next morning at ten!!
Not appreciated after a hot and sweaty day in Barcelona, and an even sweatier evening out.
The worst thing though is that this was not announced beforehand.
After the first phone call to reception it was supposed to be fixed in an hour, this was around five in the afternoon.
Second phone call learned it was going to be an all night job.
Third phone call in the morning surprised the reception clerk, he had no idea what was going on. Not only do they forget to tell their guests...
At around ten in the morning the hot water came on again.
No explanation, no apology from the management, not even after the fact.
It's not that I have a problem with a cold shower in summer, and I appreciate the importance of maintenance (or was it a legionair's desease emergency? ), but it's the total lack of understanding for the inconvenience to the guests, that pay around 200 euros for a regular room.
At check out I am offered a discount, and I then intend to explain what hospitality means to me, and how they might have dealt with it in a different way. A head's up on the forthcoming maintenance, and maybe a drink in the bar as compensation for the inconvenience, or anything like that.
I was met with gazes of complete incomprehension.
Which did not surprise me, really. Lack of understanding of what hospitality means is well ingrained in this place.
To sum it up, the 5 star boxes are all ticked in this place, but it is definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Ron C
Reviewed July 24, 2013

First time in Barcelona, and after staying here, you can only go down.
Great location - easy access to the metro to get to any tourist spots you might want to visit. But, and this is the best part, as you go walk north from the hotel, you immediately leave the crazy tourists behind and get into the beautiful, elegant Gracia neighborhood, and can go to locals-only restaurants and shops. I loved this hotel.
Staff super friendly and helpful. The guys at the front desk had great restaurant recommendations.
Our room was perfect - nice sized, plenty of closet space, and a big bathroom. I didn't love the shower head and flow of water, but in the big picture, who cares.
The roof deck/pool is an amazing place to have a cocktail at sunset and peacefully watch the Barcelona cityscape.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th floor. I'd go higher is better.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tobin S
Reviewed July 14, 2013

But.......lights in the bathroom not working properly, asked to check twice, no chance. Shower did not function, same story, have to sit to take a shower. Amenities, sorry...do you really need them? Taking a rest in the afternoon and get disturbed 4 times by someone that does not speak English? The privacy is gone. Most of all very noisy and shabby room on the 1st floor overlooking the backyard. We have stayed 3 times in the past year but this visit has got no words to describe how we experienced it. The value for money does not correspond to the price charged. Last one: breakfast in the room; wrong coffee, no butter - not like the other times. Counts for all the room service we took: grumpy!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room that is not overlooking the backyard: too noisy - they have parties there (e.g. weddi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple