All reviews shared bathroom no lift visiting barcelona la rambla small kitchen great location gothic quarter noisy at night short walk metro station balcony ramblas floor city microwave tv facilities
Selected filters
Reviewed December 12, 2018

This lodge is really basic, has a shared bathroom and two tiolets on one floor. However the location is jsut great, it's close to The Ramblas,and just a few steps away there is the metro station called 'Liceu'
Ask for a room with a balcony, mine was very nice. The staff was also friendly and helpful and the palce is clean. I recommend this guest house for budget travellers.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

This is an excellent location. The ramblas is a short walk and so is the gothic quarter. The Liceu metro station is a short walk. From there you can get to any place in the city including the airport.
That's the positive but there are a lot of negatives. It's very hard to find and hardly anyone has heard of it. My cab driver spent 5 minutes trying to Google it. People in the streets a block away had never heard of it, so when I asked they couldn't tell me where it was.
There is no air conditioner and my room had an adjoining window with another room. My room had a shared bathroom so you had to go across the hall. Make sure you lock your door when you go to the bathroom. You can pay more to have a bathroom in your room. Also, my room had a window that let into a courtyard and there was a window opposite it that belong to another room. So if the room across the courtyard from you has a window open and your window is open you can hear everything and that other room. Make sure you lock the windows when you leave so no one comes in through the window.

The alley that you enter the hotel from was noisy at night and there were people sleeping on the streets in front of it. I couldn't hear much noise from my room but I could hear the other people on the floor. In the morning, when I walked out of the hotel I would smell an extremely strong stench of urine. I would not use a credit card here. Their machine would not accept my credit card or my debit card despite the fact that I was able to use both of them anywhere else in the city. I had to pay them in cash which was very inconvenient.
I found it to be way overpriced. It was 314 euros for 4 nights which is about $370 U.S. That same room in another city in Europe would be about $50 a night. So you are paying more for the location. There is no office. They have a small one but someone's hardly there. So when I left there was no where to check out. I just left the keys on the table and I left the door unlocked. Hindsight, I wish I would have stayed farther away to get a nicer Hotel.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Dave M
Reviewed July 8, 2018

I didn't read the facilities available properly prior to booking so was very surprised with our room. No air con and no bathroom. That said, the room was clean. It is more like a hostel than a hotel which has shared bathroom and a small kitchen, although we didn't use the kitchen so I cannot comment on the facilities. Wouldn't stay here again or recommend but could be a good base for those on a budget.

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed June 11, 2018

I am glad some people have had good experiences staying here. My room adjoined a shared space that became very noisy when people returned from their night out, and when that noise stopped a person in the adjoining room to mine snored so loudly that I didn't get any sleep.
The manager was friendly and helpful, and the location - in the old part of Barcelona - is good. But perhaps check the location of your room if you are not good at sleeping through noise.
Also, if you have very heavy luggage, be aware there are a lot of stairs to climb and there is no lift.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION !!! . . .

In THE middle of THE BEST, for visiting Barcelona.

You'll find this "local" gem of a hotel about 200 meters, right off La Rambla, close to the Liceu Metro (subway). A short walk thru Placa Reial (BTW, do NOT miss THIS historic gem) & down the narrow road.

Definitely appears to be a nicely restored historic building, with radiator heating (which WE asked Marvin to turn off), beautiful traditional high ceilings, amazingly well kept historic features such as the door knobs - I know, sounds strange, but these architectural features are amazingly beautiful.

Yes, they have SHARED rooms AND a SHARED bathroom (WHICH . . . Is SPOTLESS at ALL times) . . . We opted for the Private Bathroom room.  There seems to be TWO of these such rooms.

The one in the front, has a quaint & nice little
Balcony, with French Doors, overlooking the main little sidewalk/road.  We were there in May & the weather was very nice, even a bit chilly at nite, so we kept the doors open.  IF, you can sleep past the local nite life, THIS is definitely the BEST room.

There is another Private Bathroom room in the back, smaller, but quieter.  The view is of the working/family, back of all the surrounding buildings, with an apparent school during the day.

Our room was cleaned & a made bed, welcomed us home each day.  We actually stayed 4 days, went to Paris for a week & returned for another nite before boarding our ship.

As WE are rather tall, we found the showers to be a bit restrictive & the wet shower curtains stuck to the body while showering.

WE found the bed & linens to be very comfortable.  I was actually traveling with a broken back & brace . . . I never woke up uncomfortable or in pain.

Although breakfast, continental or otherwise is not included . . . We found croissants, muffins, general snacks, juices & coffee available 24/7, in a very nice little prep/sitting area, where the TV is.

WE actually opted to do most of our own meals, utilizing the provided dishes/utensils, microwave & frig.  There is a small market about 50 steps from the door & a couple more close, out on La Rambla.

You will NOT find a more pleasant, accommodating & genuinely caring gentleman (Marvin, seems to live on the 2nd floor), in charge of this historic gem.

I MUST say . . . Coming back that 2nd stay, was like coming home to a friend. . . . If we're able to come back . . . I can assure you, we WILL come back here AND, it will be a true disappointment if Marvin is no longer there !!!

Thank you SOOOOOOO much, AGAIN Marvin - you are THE BEST !!!

FREE WiFi is available throughout the hotel that seems to consist of just one floor, the 3rd floor.

We received extremely timely responds to all of our emails.

We did NOT find previous reviews to be the case.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple