“Creepy, cruel, and cool!”

Dark Past Night Walking Tour
Ranked #103 of 696 Tours in Barcelona
More attraction details
Owner description: A twilight wander in El Born following the shadows of medieval punishments, executions and executioners, past spirits and the infamous Spanish Inquisition. Please note that, although a couple of the city's legends might be included, this is not a Ghost Tour but an historical night tour based on the darker side of Barcelona's history.
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Gorka met our intimate little group at the Barcelona - Arc de Triomf at 9:00pm in his bright lime green vest with Runner Bean Tours clearly visible to all. He is a very personable, approachable, and easy going guide/expert. As promised, this tour was highly entertaining, informative, and grizzly in nature due to the "dark" past, rather than being held during or whilst in the "dark". It was grizzly, not spooky. This tour led us to the exact sites where grizzly historically accurate information was presented, pointed out, and projected onto walls for added impact. Gorka also used an effective role-play technique to involve participants to make the event more personal, interactive, fun, and memorable. This tour lasted from 9:00pm to almost 11:00pm where upon Gorka gave clear directions on how to exit the area, find metro stops, or even to places to enjoy late into that evening. The tour was rather well paced with many stops of interest for Gorka to present information and show his visuals. Gorka had maps, posters, props, ad well as a mini projector at his disposal which made for a very comprehensive, well practiced yet improvisational, performance. Gorka is a wealth of Catalonian political, historical, cultural, and social knowledge. He is more than simply a guide, he appears to have a graduate PhD/MA level of knowledge of Catalonian art history, politics, history, and culture and is able to analyze, discuss, and make meaningful connections within the historically accurate information he gives in his dramatic, entertaining, and amusing way. Gorka is thoroughly engaging, interactive, and receptive to the group. He is in no way formulaic, routine, nor scripted. Although the tour structure and content have been well practiced, the execution and presentation felt new, energetic, and tailored for us. Gorka's dramatic flair and his seamless movement through El Born's intricate, winding, dark, dingy, narrow streets was well paced and at times required some of us to stop to buy a cold drink before quickly moving on to the next point of interest. This tour although somewhat grizzly because of the Spanish Inquisition and other violent aspects of history are appropriate for all participants who are teens and older. Elementary aged children may find the facts, art, and locations late at night more frightening and therefore unsuitable. Young adults and older will thoroughly enjoy the seediness, gruesomeness, and illicit aspects of this tour. Well worth the 14€ price of admission and for participation. I went as far as to tip a few more Euros even though he is the owner operator. Well worth it and deserving of it. Great value at 14€/person.

Sputrip, Owner at Dark Past Night Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2014

I have no words. That was one of the most detailed and fantastic reviews I have ever got. Thank you so much for taking your time to write it and for such positive feedback.

Hope we can show you more of Barcelona next time around :-)

All reviews
"different perspective"
in 3 reviews
"arc de triomf"

Reviewed August 22, 2014

This tour was a blast and our guide really loved and knew how to talk to the group. With a traveling projection slide show and photos we all really felt that we understood the history of the dark side of Barcelona. I would recommended this to anyone who wanted to learn about the shocking events that happened in Barcelona in a way that brings history to life.

I have been on hunted tour in several cities around the world and I believe this was one of the most interesting and exciting ones I have been on. We even had a lightning storm that brought a new level of scare to the tour!

Hi Maggie,

Thanks a million for the review. That was a fantastic compliment. And you are right, electric storms really help ;-)

All the best,

Reviewed August 19, 2014

In my travelling I have completed many a walking tour, it is the best way to see the places you are visiting. I found this tour to be one of the more fun tours I've been on. This is a history and information tour with a high level of interaction which is very entertaining. There are some interesting stories about the past and it needs to be noted that it is not a ghost tour.

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for the review. It is great to hear that you had such a good time on my tour. It was a fantastic group that night :-).

I hope you had a good trip back to Sydney,

Reviewed August 18, 2014

This tour definitely opened up our eyes a little bit more to Barcelona's dark past, it was fun reliving it through Gorka's methods of presenting, he used props such as projectors, and proper books, and other cool things to recount the chilling historical facts of the time. It is definitely not a 'walking tour' where he points out the main touristic sights, he rather points out what happened in certain parts of Barcelona like a true local would. Definitely highly recommend it.

Sputrip, Owner at Dark Past Night Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

Hi Nyah,

I remember you on my tour a few days ago :-). Thanks a million for posting this wonderful review. As you said, this is not a tour about sightseeing but learning about the most gruesome and darker side of the history of Barcelona. I am glad that you enjoyed it so much.

See you next time around,

See more reviews
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

When traveling to a city with such a rich history, we expected more of a ghost tour with stops at local establishments and stories of strange spine chilling events. What we got was a good tour guide who told us about the Spanish Inquisition and executions.
It was an okay tour, but not what I was hoping for. Just know that it is not a ghost tour of any kind. More historical in nature.

Sputrip, Owner at Dark Past Night Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Hi Todd,

Thank you for joining the tour last week. I was the guide that day and I am sorry to hear that it wasn't what you were expecting as that you were looking for a traditional Ghost Tour. To avoid misunderstandings, in the first paragraph of our website, in the description of this tour, we have always stated the following (written in bold letters):

"Please note that, although a couple of the city's legends might be included, this is not a Ghost Tour but an historical night tour based on the darker side of Barcelona's history".

I am really not sure what else we can do. I sent you a personal message a few days ago asking for any pointers to avoid future misunderstandings but we haven't heard from you. If you read this, we would really appreciate if you could let us know.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Barcelona :-)