“One of the best days in Barcelona!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marta's Private Paella Cooking Classes

Marta's Private Paella Cooking Classes
Great Neck, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best days in Barcelona!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I visited Barcelona a few weeks back with my sister, and Marta's cooking class was definitely one of my favorite and most memorable experiences. It wasn't just a cooking class. Marta gifted her students, who consisted of people from all over the world, with an authentic Barcelonian Sunday afternoon. Marta welcomed us into her home as guests. She was very funny, and I gave her a sticker. :) (You'll understand if you go.)

Of course, we learned to make delicious traditional Barcelonian Paella, and it was delicious! You definitely have to come here if you are traveling to Barcelona. This is great for anyone- lone travelers, couples, families- all of which were in my class! I met some awesome people from Germany, the US, among other random places. Pretty awesome.

1 Thank Melanie X

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't Miss Marta's Famous Paella Cooking Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I recently spent a week in Barcelona while traveling for a month with my family in Europe. I found Marta's class by tapping on the Near Me Now icon on My Trip Advisor App. After reading the wonderful reviews, I consulted with my 22 year old daughter and 20 year old son, called Marta and signed us up for a class the next afternoon. What a fortuitous find. We did many wonderful things during our visit to Barcelona but Marta's class was the highlight. What a special and unique experience it was.
Marta welcomed us at her door, introduced us to the 5 other students attending that day, handed us each a recipe and put us to work. She explained the preparation of each ingredient. Some she had prepped ahead and the others were assigned to each one of the students. We worked at a large table in her living room. As we chopped, sliced and diced Marta explained how to chose the freshest ingredients for paella. She also advised the Americans that we should invest in Bomba rice and a paella pan to carry home in order to save a good deal of money.
We then moved to Marta's lovely terrace for the real show. I read the recipe, my daughter handed Marta the ingredients for the fire and a third student seasoned each layer. We chatted and enjoyed a sunny January afternoon overlooking Plaza Tetuan while watching a heavenly dish come together. Once the paella was ready we dined on the terrace, sipping wine or water and whiled away a beautiful afternoon. Not a bit of food remained at the end of the meal. The paella was delicious and perfectly cooked. We learned that the best way to ensure a delicious paella is to make it oneself.
We all pitched in to clear, one student washed the dishes and it was time to be on our way after a very enjoyable afternoon in Marta's home. She is a warm hostess and a very good cook. Don't miss her class while visiting Barcelona. It was a great find.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank mfsponseller
Barcelona, Spain
“Spanish Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

It had been three weeks since I moved to Barcelona and I was saving my paella experience until this occasion and I was so right. Marta's is the best paella you can ever get in Barcelona! Staring from the quality of ingredients, Marta's knowledge sharing on food and Spain, meeting new people and cooking together, enjoying the blue sky at her outdoor balcony; the whole experience was really wonderful and I felt that is how you eat Paella in Spain! Not to mention her perfection in teaching the art of Spanish cooking, Marta's hospitality and openness truly contributed to this experience. Thank you Marta!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank AveCanora
Berlin, Germany
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Great Paella, and good Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Cooking with Marta was a wonderful experience. We learned about how to make her families traditional Paella, and a bit about cooking in general. You get the opportunity to meet other travelers as well which adds to the experience. The Paella had a classic wholesome flavor, with a focus on seafood (personally my favorite variation).

Overall it was a wonderful experience, we made some new friends, enjoyed a great meal, and learned a bit on top of it.

2 Thank Stephen G
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Now we are talking; this IS what paella is all about!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I love walking in Las Ramblas. All the restaurants, the people walking... I thought the food will be fantastic considering the popularity of this street.. I sat down at one of the restaurants and ordered a paella, since this is the first thing you are supposed to do in Spain! I was extremely disappointed with the taste. The rice was electric yellow (I don't know of any rice to grow with that color!! No way that was from saffron) and the sea food tasted like plastic. Very disappointing. I did not want to believe that paella is what Spaniards praise as their national dish. On my search for some real food and fun, I stumbled upon Marta's Famous Paella Cooking session, and I must tell you, this was the best cooking experience I have ever had.

The cooking session is held at her house. The fun part, besides helping to cook the paella, is that it is not a private session. Other enthusiast like yourself are there, excited to try 'the real deal'.

Marta had bought the ingredients that same morning from the local market. Everything was very fresh wich made the cooking far more fun. I believe we spent almost all afternoon cooking and laughing...and of course eating! I think I will do this more often: when traveling, signing up for cooking classes at people's homes. You make friends, share experiences, and most importantly, getting to know a culture from their dishes. The REAL dishes.

Thank you Marta for allowing travelers to have a taste of your culture!

2 Thank Explorer-FoodLover