“Good choice”

Ranked #119 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Good choice”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We had a comfortable and relaxing stay at the Melia sky - the level. The hotel is divided into different parts and the Level is the five star top part of the hotel. We enjoyed the free drinks with the cool cityview in the lounge and the charming neighbourhood offered a nice feel of mingeling with the locals in the evening. Short walk to the metro (opera). We did not use the poolarea alot, but it looked nice and the hotel is located a short walk from the beach (15 min).

We noticed some guests complaining about minor stuff and sure there may be some shortage in some areas (like the room only had one bathrobe, the shower kept running after you turn it of, the floores and bathroom are a bit scratched up) but hey - if you are not too picky it will be fine.. Also the free drinks in the lounge help settle the mood.

We stayed at floor 28 with cityview, I really recommend the cityview!! You can lay in bed and watch Sagrada familia - awesome! :)

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kristine L
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones Públicas at The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear, Kristine L:

First of all we would like to thank you for such a nice review. It's a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay and our services at the Level lounge.
Our staff work very hard to make every customer´s experience unique. That´s why comments like yours encourage us to keep doing a great job day by day.

Thank you once again for your nice review and we hope to see you in the near future.

Guest Experience Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
napoli
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I have spent my recent holiday in Barcelona in this hotel for 9 days and besides few things that I haven't liked about this hotel,I can honestly say this is the kind of hotel where you can relax and it is very worth for the money you pay.It is not located in the heart of Barcelona but the metro is few minutes away and in few stops you can reach the centre or the beaches.We chose the level because we have a silver memebership with melia hotels so the price was good and there were more benefits like the fact that you have a lounge area where you can drink and eat whatever you like and any time of the day and evening since it is open till 11 pm.I especially loved the fact that each day they had new things on the buffer, like salmon, cous cous, chips, peanuts, ham and cold meats, fresh bread and all different kinds of sweets, from pastries to cakes and muffins.All this food tasted delicious.The only negative thing I can say about this area is that it would have been much nicer if it had had an open space like a patio or balcony since we are in a place where the weather is so nice and warm.We asked if we could go to the terrace with the drinks, and it was told us that we were not really allowed but they could do an exception.This to me is unfair because when I went to the pool I could only buy drinks from there, instead since I had to pay for this special The level treatment I wanted to enjoy the pool with the drinks from the lounge area and not have to pay because I wasn't allowed to bring these drinks out of that area.
The breakfast is really wonderful in this hotel they have so much choice of food and drinks , the only negative thing I noticed is that the staff didn't look as they were very professional or happy to do their job.In fact couple of times I experienced examples of very bad service:one time I had a glass of sparkling water almost full and despite I was still eating the waiter came and cleared the glass and he didn't even hear me when I tried to tell him I was going to drink that water.Also another waiter was carrying several dirty plates on his hands and to clear mine he put the dirty plates from another table on my table so he could stack on them my dirty plate.
We also had several drinks at the bar downstairs and we were very impressed with the bartender, I believe his name was jose and he was from south America, this guy made great drinks and was always smiling and professional with us and with other customer.
The last thing I would like to say about this hotel is that even though it was a great place to stay they should improve the way they welcome customers at The level reception.In fact on our arrival we were very tired and stressed because since there was a taxi driver strike we had to walk and use the metro with our suitcases.The guy at the reception asked straight away for a credit card and me and my partner we only carry debit cards so he told us that in that case we had to pay in advance for the whole price.And also they wanted to take a deposit of something like 250 euros which we preferred not to pay as we were going to pay cash for any purchase inside the hotel.Honestly this attitude like "You just arrived, you have to pay now for everything" ddnt make me feel like a valued customer or like a person that has a membership with this hotel

Room Tip: room on The Level are nicer if you want to have a breath taking view of the city but I believe all r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear lalover1977,

We thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are happy that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and that you enjoyed The Level lounge, and the drinks made by Jose. We will definitely inform him about you kind words.

We also would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during breakfast and we have informed our restaurant manager about what happened and they have taken steps to prevent this from happening again. We also apologize for the check-in you experienced; we are following up on this matter with our front office manager.

Hotel Meliá Barcelona Sky values your feedback greatly and so we thank you again for your writing your review.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards,
Southampton
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I chose the level for my boyfriends 30th birthday as I wanted a 5* hotel with views of the sea. When we arrived the hotel was very modern and generally the interior was quiet dark but very nice. Our room was on the 23rd floor and we had fantastic sea views. After reading reviews on trip advisor we new to go up to the 25th floor to check in and the lounge here did not disappoint. From the lounge we had lovely views over the city and it was a nice quiet area we could relax in after a long day, there was always plenty of snacks and drinks which are all complimentary and the staff were very friendly.
However by the end of the week we were very disappointed with our stay and do not feel it was up to a 5* standard. The room was nice but the small things let it down like the grouting in the bathroom was either mouldy or missing, the towel rail did not work, and the floor just looked dirty. The house keeping was our biggest issue during our stay, there were no robes or towels as advertised, the coffee was never replenished and the cups and glasses never washed. I would expect in any level of hotel never mind a 5* to be able to come back after a busy day sight seeing to be able to have a drink in a clean cup! Despite mentioning to staff every day the situation never improved. I shouldn't have to be constantly complaining whilst on holiday, I am wrong to expect the hotel to have mastered these basics! We left our room no later than 10 everyday and did not return until 10-11 at night so they had plenty of time to get it right!
We also found there was a lack of information about the hotels facility's and what there was was conflicting. One of the attractions of the hotel was its gym, we had planned to get up early have a work out then go sight seeing for the day, the first time we went to the gym was about 8am the air conditioning was not on and it was to hot, to top it off the water bottle was empty and was there were no staff on hand to get assistance. In the end we gave up and headed for the pool. When we got to the Poole everything was shut up and there were no towels out. We asked later where all the staff were and were told the facility's don't open until 10am this was a bit disappointing as we were hoping to make the most of our days. On our chill out day we went down to the spa at 10.00 only to be met by an aggressive cleaning lady screaming at us in Spanish that the spa did not open until 11! When we eventually did get in we wished we had not bothered, only the sauna and one shower was working and once again no water! When it came to check out we were charged for items in the mini bar we had not touched and oddly we were asked to leave feed back on the hotels website like the people checking out before us!
We were disappointed but I will say that the staff in the level lounge were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you in the level go for a sea view as you have amazing views of the city from the lounge! So that...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear amr6644,

We would like to thank you for reviewing our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay in regard to the state of the bathroom, the replenishment of the coffee and the our opening times of our facilities.

After reading your review the housekeeping department is taking a look at its cleaning procedures to see if they can avoid missing the replenishment of coffee. Also we have informed all departments about the incident at the wellness and reminded everyone how Hotel Melia Barcelona Sky interacts with its guests. Lastly we are currently checking all rooms and making repairs were needed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2014

With such an amazing location, located for the 27th floor I was ready for 3 days at
The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky.

Smiling while I enter the door, there is absolutley no line in check in! Perfect!
Passport, card, and the usual "please wait 2 minutes sir and you get your card"

Thirsty as hell after a long Barcelona day, 2 minyutes becomes 5.
Im standing there with so much heavy luggage, and ask if they need more time so I can sit down.
"No sir, says another person, just 1 more minute.

15 minute later, sitting myself at the restaurant area I get my card. "sorry, new people here today" Well, could they not tell me this so I could have sit down when I asked? I ask if I can get soem water, where "Ainhoa" responds: "You have JUST waited 15 minutes"

Well, actually closer to 20 minutes where they told me 2 minutes.. So thank you for really bad customer service!
Tired I ordered food, and on top of everything I get a dinner with a black (Im light brown) hair in my food. So disgusted I rolled the trolley (with the hair) back outside the door.

If any of the hotel people see this, be may guest and enjoy my dinner - it`s still warm.

Room Tip: Dont book here if you want service and food
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank davidvox
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Davidvox,

we like to thank you for your review, your opinion it is very important for us and our first priority is the satisfactión of our clients. We are pleased that you like the concept of the private check in at the 25th floor at the same time we like to apoligize for the confusión caused during the check in, we are very sorry if we make you wait to long we apologize we have already contact with the head of the department to avoid situations like this in the future.
We hope that despite your disappointed on this occasion, we really hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Melia Barcelona Sky in the near future, whereby we will be able to provide you with the highest level of service for which we are internationally known for!

Warm regards,

Guest Experince Team
Suffolk
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Various reviews have concerned me as we have booked this hotel
Suite at the level for our sons 21 st birthday ! And are hoping we will
Not be disappointed with choice of hotel and room at hotel ! Corner suites are bigger and sunny.
Can any one advise room numbers that were good choice

Room Tip: Been advised higher room and corner suites are large and sunny Hopefully get corner suite !
Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank VivSuffolk
Dear Suffolk,

Dear Suffolk,
Thank you for the time in writing your review, in Melia Barcelona Sky we always try to give the best to our customers, our first priority is always to please you and we try to do the best in all situations. Our Suites are very spacious and modern design, functional and with fantastics views to the city or the sea.
The propity is located close by a very charming street with plenty of bars and restaurants and just 15 minuts walking distance to the beach.
We really thing that your son would enjoy so much the stay in Barcelona and we will do our best to make this an unforgettable trip to Barcelona.

Ones more, thank you very much for your review and we hope to see you soon in a near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I can only say good words about our stay at this Hotel. Spectacular views, professional and very friendly staff, fantastic breakfast.The pool was not very big but quiet and modern for a city hotel.The hotel is not right in the city center but we liked very much to know the daily life offered by this district, just 5 minutes away you can found a street with a lot of charm where there is plenty of restaurants!! good choice, we will come back for sure!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet B
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones Públicas at The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Janet B:

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Melia Barcelona Sky. Its a pleasure for us to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We were 2 couples staying at The Level, so we were taken at The Level reception to check in which was really slow. We were given a smelly room, dissabled room and not sea view either, for which we had booked and paid in advance. In the end we did get the room which we had booked but I was not impressed with the smell. The room and the bathroom was adequate size but the shower room was tiny. The bath products were very good quality and fragrance. Our TV was not working and they had to fix 3 times over 5 nights. There was not adequate variety at breakfast and sometimes it was cold. At The Level lounge, there was never enough quantity nor any selection of food for lunch or evening and there was hardly any choise for vegeterians. There was ample variety of drinks but not good quality.
The view from The Level lounge was fabulous as you can see SAGRADA FAMILIA and AGBAR TOWER in a delightful ambience.

Room Tip: AS high as possible
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
MeliaSky, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at The Level at Melia Barcelona Sky, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear Naina-Damani

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to review us. We sincerely apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay in regard to the slow check in and taking more than one time to fix your TV. Also it is most unfortunate that the room did not smell the way it is supposed to. We will work hard to address these issues to the best of our abilities.

Secondly we are pleased that you enjoyed The Level Lounge with its ambience and great view of the city and the mountains in the background.

We hope that we will have a second chance to welcome you back at Hotel Melía Barcelona Sky, to show you the real Melía experience

Kind regards,