“4* service and rooms at 3* prices”
Review of H10 Port Vell

H10 Port Vell
Ranked #27 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“4* service and rooms at 3* prices”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is a new-ish hotel (the taxi drivers don't know where it us, so just give the address!) and the immediate impact is that it's a small, renovated building, just on the edge of the action, 5 mins from the Port Vell marina, the bottom of the Ramblas and a step or two into the higgledy streets of the old town.

Reception is "designer" (black tiles and walls, lime green furnishings), and the welcome is very friendly and helpful. There's a genteel lack of polish at times, but totally winning and authentic.

Rooms have a 'wow' impact: very generous size, new and thoughtfully arranged. Plenty of luggage space, for example.

Bathrooms also large, with powerful showers.

There's a nice roof terrace for taking a drink, nap or (small) plunge in a pool the size of a footbath, but it was a bit cold during my visit ;)

Breakfast was surprisingly good - very nice buffet selection, fresh fruit and a small but solid cooked options. In all, punching above its weight.

The downsides?
- SOUNDPROOFING. There isn't any. The wooden floors amplify noise and clicks and the walls are just so thin that conversations in the hall or next room are audible. I didn't mind (I was tired and the spanish was melodious rather than odious), but others would.
- room service - while it was clean there were a number of errors eg in replenishing the mini bar.

To counter these there's free wifi, ridiculously reasonable bar prices and charming helpfulness and welcome from the staff.

The front of the hotel opens onto a car park/unsalubrious dropping ground for trolleys and the odd matress (!). If you are sensitive to the 'pavement presence' of the hotel you may find this a bit edgy still and also a little off the main tourist drag.

For me, however, it was perfect for my client's offices, and I spent three nights here for the price of one night in a more mainstream luxury hotel. I will be pleased to go back next time I have a chance to visit Barcelona on business.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view go first. High and port-side would be great. I had an internal courtyard/lightshaf...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank ianjindal
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Port Vell, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear ianjindal,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time used in sharing your opinion of our Hotel.

I am pleased to see that you had almost a pleasant stay. I can assure you that we take in consideration your comments regarding the soundproofing and room service, and try to do our best to improve on it.

I hope that our Hotel will be your choice in your next visit to Barcelona.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Folks, book this hotel today. It is amazing, the staff are so helpful. Location is excellent, overlooking the Marina. Just 5 trains stops from the Airport. A 5 minute stroll to La Ramblas. Breakfast was the best of any Spanish hotel Ive stayed and at all times the service was outstanding

I would just like to thank the staff for a pleasurable stay 27-31 Jan 2014. Cannot wait to go back

Liam & Elizabeth
Belfast.

Room Tip: Does a room location really matter. Get out and explore the beautiful city of Barcelona
3 Thank Liam O
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, friendly staff and within walking distance of la ramblas, gothic quarter and marina/beach. Modern rooms and the most amazing monsoon shower ever !! Although we didn't try the breakfast we found a local cafe every morning for much less than 19 euros per diner. The weather was wonderful for January although the in room air conditioning didn't seem to work very well? Likely to be an operator error!! The view of the marina was lovely and overall the hotel was the perfect choice for us.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barce L
Lucan, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The staff were great and the hotel was fantastic! I will be back again and would recommend it to anyone visiting Barcelona, great views and great location, it's walking distance to anything you will ever need. To anyone reading this go there you will love it!!

Room Tip: Port view is great!
1 Thank Gerard G
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Port Vell, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Gerard G,

Thank you very much for all your comments of our Hotel.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in Barcelona. All the staff is committed in giving all our best to satisfy our guests.

We are really looking forward to host you soon.

warrington
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night prior to a ncl canary cruise. We arrived at 11.30 am, but we were given our room early to enable us to enjoy the full day in barcelona. The hotel was very clean, service excellent and breakfast very good. The following day when we checked out they took care of our luggage to enable us to do some more sightseeing, prior to joining the cruise. The roof terrace was lovely.

4 Thank terrysylvia97
Gliwice, Poland
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My wife and I styed there prior to a cruise of th Canary Islands.
Found the place clean and friendly. Service was excellent. We actually joined the H10 loyalty program as a result of our stay andplan to use this hotel chain where available. To add to the experience after the cruise we had the whole day before our flight and no where to store our luggae. We travelle back to hotel and aske them if they would hold it for us as we wanted to do some tourism of Port Vell. They accomodated us without any problems
hnk you for making trip enjoyable

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ge0rge54
Bristol
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend in early November. We wanted to stay somewhere close to the centre, a short walk away from Las Ramblas, and H10 Port Vell was ideal for this.
I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough. It was modern and clean with an extensive breakfast buffet (which even included Flump sweets). The room itself was bright and cool, perhaps a little too trendy if you have traditional tastes but great if you like things a bit modern.
The location is fantastic as it is a short walk from Las Ramblas, the Gothic area, the beach and the port. Also the tourist bus stops just outside linking you to all attractions. We also used the metro as Barceloneta station is very close too - it is safe and easy to navigate, much cheaper than taking taxis.
The staff at the H10 were all incredible and I have to say a special thank you to Erika for all her help, recommendations and generally great service. We stayed for my wife's birthday and this wonderful help from Erika made it an even more memorable trip.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BristolDuncan
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Port Vell, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear BristolDu,

First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion of your last stay in H10 Port Vell.

It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your trip to Barcelona, and our Hotel met your expectations.

I will inform Erika about your comments. I can assure you that she will be very pleased.