“We loved our stay”

Ranked #36 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
London, United Kingdom
“We loved our stay”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is an old building that has been renovated to a very high standard with modern décor. As soon as I walked in the door I loved it. We were there for 3 nights from 5th Nov 2013.

The staff on the front desk are all brilliant. During our stay we spoke to a male staff member the most (I'm sorry I didn't take down his name as I would like to praise him specifically) and he was so helpful, professional, polite and friendly. First impressions gained from interactions with the front desk staff are so important and this hotel gets it right.

Our room (a superior room no. 513 - I think there are only 6 floors) was amazing. Yes, I was aware of the underground train as I was waking up in the morning, even on the 5th floor, but it didn't bother me that much and it didn't wake my partner. It's an old building in a big city where their underground trains do not run as deep as the London underground. What do people expect?

The room was spotless and housekeeping did a lovely job each day making it look like new. Yes, the shower did overflow slightly on one occasion, after not actually using it that long. Again, this did not bother me and I just used my towel to mop up when I'd finished using it. It is a really nice modern shower cubicle but maybe the drainage might get blocked. I hope this doesn't cause the hotel too many problems.
And yes, the hand washing sink is in the main room......who cares!?
I loved the room, the bed was comfy and the balcony area was great to sit and relax in too.

We also sat upstairs on the roof terrace in the sunshine for an hour or so, which was good too. Unfortunately the November weather wasn't warm enough to sunbathe and get in the little dipping pool, which must be so nice in the summer.

We didn't use the cardio machines but it was good to see that the hotel provided a couple in a little room just off the roof terrace.

As for the breakfast. Amazing. A coffee machine, teas and fruit juices. A fab choice of meats, cheeses, breads, cereals, fruit, yoghurts, fried breakfast items and sweet treats. The staff at breakfast time were great. Polite and friendly. The food was constantly being checked and topped up, even though it wasn't busy when we were there.

We didn't use their dining or bar facilities so I can't comment on that, but my partner did pop to the bar for some ice, and again to collect our complimentary cocktails, and he told me that he had to wait a while until someone came to the bar to bar to serve him. (I don't think it is a bar that has staff just hanging around at all hours of the day in case of a customer. You have to press a bell for service, so a little wait is to be expected.)

What else can I say. We would stay here again and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.
We found the location to be perfect for a sightseeing city break. It is situated about 5 minutes walk from the top end of Las Ramblas (not the port end), near a large square called Placa De Catalunya where all the sightseeing buses start/stop. Barcelona is a big city and no hotel is going to be perfectly located for all the sights, but this one is close to buses and directly opposite a metro station (Urquinaona). You will have to travel at some point other than on foot. It is about a 30 minute walk away from the port area.

Tip: rather than waste 30+ euros on a cab, or waste time sitting on a bus in traffic, from the airport you simply take the Renfe (overground) train for about 3.70 euros per person for a one way 25 minute trip to Passeig De Gracia station (trains run every 1/2 hour). From there, walk down the main road of Passeig de Gracia, or find your way one street east to Carrer de Pau Claris, and head south for approx. 15-20 minutes until you get to another main road called Ronda de Sant Pere. Turn left and you will find it. Easy, cheap and hassle free.

Room Tip: Our room (no. 513) was great. It is a hotel in the middle of a busy city so I think all rooms will...
1 Thank Smoakley19
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Smoakley19,

We would like to thank you for your comments and for your time used in writing them!! We really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot for your nice description!! We are so glad to know you had an excellent stay with us.

Thank you so much once again and best wishes from Barcelona!

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I would have given this review, easily, a 3-4 star rating based on aesthetic alone, but the service was so terrible - I have to reluctantly, but without hesitation, give a one star rating - the second lowest in my TripAdvisor review history (considering I have stayed in very basic, rudimentary, and self-serve lodgings across Europe, Asia and North America).

The pros of this hotel include a very modern, clean, functional design. While previous reviews mentioned an unusable bathroom - I find this layout very modern, straightforward, and European, which means if you're not used to either three, then you're likely to find it confusing or inconvenient. The hotel location is very central (metro, shopping, dining, the bus station is literally outside the entrance), and you are in the heart of Barcelona. The rooms are extremely affordable and I would recommend (if you're a romantic couple) a room with a private balcony facing the garden - as it allows both privacy but views of the hotel terrace/garden.

The cons of the hotel - well, is that you deal with staff with no minds of their own and lack any cognizance, autonomy, or courtesy of what it is like to work in the hotel industry. It's as if they were hired from Burger King, without training, and were told to work F&B and front desk here. At 11pm on a Saturday night, I went to the bar (which had patrons being served and seated) to ask for a coffee - I was told by the gentleman/bartender "just use the machine in your room". OKAY! True, there's a Nespresso machine - but I wanted a (faux pas for Italians) a cappuccino. I merely asked "can cappuccinos be made here?" to which was met with him literally shouting at my partner and I "THE BAR IS CLOSED YOU GET NOTHING".

This, in my industry, would be a fireable offence, to treat a customer with such disdain and to say "no" to them - but I assume he was busy, new and unable to assist with pressing two buttons on a coffee machine, as he was very preoccupied with polishing the cleanest countertops in Western Europe. He had an ambiguous name tag and refused to give us his name, which indicated he either dealt with these type of complaints before, or his poor personality and demeanour was acceptable throughout the hotel and could defy as he pleased.

Overall, based on service, I'd NEVER recommend this hotel to any friend or associate, as to be honest, you'd likely be greeted by terrible staff. However, based on the location, functionality and design - I'd suggest this to itinerary couples or business travellers who'd be too busy to interact with the poor excuse for humans they have staffed.

If you're into design, location and aesthetic, stay here - if you care about service and hospitality standards, then stay at Ohla or the Grand Central. As I said, I'd have rave reviews but the staff of the hotel poisoned my experience here over a EUR3 coffee beverage and, while trivial, I would never, ever stay here again due to it.

4 Thank grumpykins
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Grumpykins,

First of all sorry for the delay in answering to you.

Thank you for the time used in writing your comments. All the staff is deeply sorry to hear that your stay was not as expected and we want to apologize for all the inconveniences during your stay.
We are very sorry.

I assure you that we have done everything possible to solve all the issues you have raised, as we are working every day to get a high quality of service.

We sincerely appreciate your collaboration. It helps us to improve day by day.

Once again, sorry for the inconveniences.

Redhill, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a place where you feel special just because of the excellent staff. The decor is modern and the rooms are comfortable. It is centrally located and walking distance from Placa Catalunya where the buses from the airport arrive and depart from. The hotel is centrally located and most attractions in Barcelona are walking distance while the rest are accessible though the metro just across the road. I stayed there with my wife on her birthday and they surprised her with a bottle of sparkling in the evening. The reception staff was very helpful and gave good tips on places to go and restaurants for dinner. The breakfast spread is fantastic. All in all, it was a great experience and we are certainly going to return as we really enjoyed the experience!

Room Tip: a room overlooking the Plaza would be ideal!
1 Thank sahsameer
Dear Sahsameer,

Thank you so much for the time used in writing your comments and your excellent review!!

We are very proud when our guests have a very nice stay with us! It helps us to improve day by day and to keep motivated to provide a high satisfaction to our guests!

Once again thank you so much!!

We look forward to see you soon!

Kind regards from Barcelona.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We just returned back from Barcelona and we stayed at H10 Hotel in Urquinaona Plaza for one week. Really great location as it is less than one min walk to the Plaza Catalunia, and is directly facing the Metro station. The bus to the Rocca Village outlet mall is just around the block. Modern decor and extremely charming. The staff are very friendly and gave us excellent recommendations for dining. The double room we were given was not spacious and we would have preferred that there is a space to accommodate the luggage in the room. I would recommend the hotel for couples/business and friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Nadine,

Thank you so much for the time used in writing your comments about your stay with us.

All our Hotel Staff is glad to see reviews like yours and to know that your stay with us were so nice!!

We are looking forward to welcome you soon!!

Thank you so much and kindest regards!!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The H10 hotel chain has many locations in Barcelona. I love this location because it is very centrally situated and opened up just in July 2013 after an extensive renovation.
Very modern decor. Charming boutique hotel with a limited amount of rooms. Very quiet.
Excellent staff: Nacho, Katia, Anna & Elfin. They were the friendliest and most helpful. Loved the complementary cava at the front desk.
The hotel has an inviting quiet lounge area on the main level. The rooftop hosts a small pool and sitting area. Our room, while small, had a very large balcony.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back so it was quiet. No street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cpalexander
Dear Alexander,

Thank you so much for your nice comments and for sharing your enjoyable experience with us!! We are very happy that you remember our staff names as it means that you really feel a special service and this is what we are looking for.

Your comments helps to improve every day and remain motivated!

We are looking forward to welcome you in another occasion.

Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend, got a great deal through living social. We arrived to a glass of cava and a welcome cocktail, also with the deal we had a bottle of cava and chocolates in our room. The hotel is in an ideal location, the nearest metro station (Urquinaona) is directly across the road. The metro is a great way to get around the city so it is great that the metro station is so near the hotel. The hotel is very new and is beautiful inside, the staff are really friendly especially the doorman and reception staff. Would definitely recommend this hotel, the only negative is that our balcony/terrace was only separated by a curtain from the one next door, which mean's that anyone staying next door could easily walk into our balcony/terrace or possibly our room if the balcony door was open.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing our Hotel for your stay in Barcelona and for your excellent review!!

All H10 Urquinaona Plaza staff are so glad to know your stay with us were so nice.

We really appreciate your words.

We will be more than happy to welcome you again!

Best regards,
Petah Tiqwa, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have order a vacation through my travel agency very spontaniously since i wanted to exprience the super clasico. I have ordered 6 nights at the H10 Urqunaona hotel and took the flight the next day and it was the best decision i took. The hotel is brand new (it opened on july 2013). the location is amazing just 100m from plaza catalunya, the ramblas street, and the garcia shooping area. there is a metro station in front of the hotel and there are tours that take you from plaza catalunya all around barcelona's touristic sites. The hotel is defenitly located in the most attractive location. The staff was so nice and helpful- gave me so much recomandations and guidence through my stay. The hotel has a very nice terrace with little plunge pool and i really enjoyed tanning and relaxing there in a very sunny day. what more can i say.... it is really a funtastic hotel with the most amazing stuff. I will defenitly come again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MenasheCo
Comercial_HUP, Director Comercial at H10 Urquinaona Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear MenasheCo,

First of all thank you for choosing our Hotel for your last stay in Barcelona.

Thank you for the time used in writing these wonderful comments! We are very excited with your review.

We are really proud to know that we provided you a perfect experience!

Your comments help us to remain motivated!

It is a pleasure to host guests as you!

We look forward to see you soon.

Best regards from Barcelona!