“Pricey”

Amistat Beach Hostel Barcelona
Ranked #48 of 732 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Loved my stay here. Nice and new hostel. 2 blocks or so from the beach and the metro. It is like a frat house though so be aware. The staff is helpful. My only suggestions for this place would be to soundproof the common area as to not disturb the neighbors and to start a book exchange. Would be easy for the exchange they already have a few in lost and found.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Amistat Beach Hostel Barcelona

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Amistat is a hostel 3 blocks from the Beach. The lobby, chill out room and tv room are quite comfortable. It is convenient if you want to be close to the beach but it is far from Las Ramblas. The staff are not totally engaged. They do their job in a mechanical way. They could be friendlier and lively and make you feel right at home. The rooms are VERY small. They only have 2 computers available for the whole hostal. The bathrooms are good, hot water, but facilities need to be cleaned a few times a day and not just once a day. They have night activities but if you want to go these you have to pay. The hostal is good but could be better.

Room Tip: 2 blocks away there is a place where you can rent bikes. Get a bike and go explore the whole beach...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DecoWorldTraveler
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Staff was excellent, as well as location. Met some great travelers as well. Always clean and roomates were respectful...Poble Nou is a great area off the beaten tourist path. Awesome Paella just minutes away. You must rent a bike from green bikes for 24 hours, it was a great way to get around the very bike friendly city and cruise along the beachfront.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed there for 1 night, returning a week later for 5 more nights in late June, and had booked in to a 6 bed room. I am very pleased that I chose Amistat Beach hostel. Poble Nou is a pleasant area away from the main touristic part of Barcelona yet still within easy reach of all the main tourist sites. The hostel was easy to find and the location was excellent being only a short distance from Poble Nou Metro station, local shops, restaurants and market. Barcelona beach was only 5 minutes walk away and makes a pleasant route to walk into the city centre which I did several times.
On arrival at the hostel I was warmly and professionally greeted by Elena who was on reception at the time and she created a very good first impression. The 6 bed-room was basic and functional but without views. However it was clean and had a large locker for my belongings with electronic key. Bedside reading lamp and electric sockets were very useful. There was free wifi and access to computers in the lounge for those who needed them. Showers and toilets always seemed clean so they must have been regularly cleaned throughout the day.
Breakfast was officially available from 8am but I always found it ready before that. All the staff I met were very friendly and helpful and spoke perfect english and were keen to help with directions and recommendations of what to do. I tried both the free walking and cycle tour they promote and highly recommend both.
On arrival (I arrived at 9am for my second stay) and on departure I was able to leave my bags all day in the luggage store.
This hostel is very new as it only opened this year but it is the friendliness of the staff that made it such a pleasant place to stay. My only reason that I would not recommend it is that I might want to stay there again and would not like to find it full.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is definitely the best hostel I've stayed at during my Europe trip. It's a 2 minute walk from the beach, 5 minutes from the metro (only another 10 to the city center - but beware of pickpockets on the metro)
Free breakfast, free wifi that works in the rooms too (though it is temperamental)
Big storage lockers in the room
EXTREMELY clean, and the bean bag chairs in the lobby are the comfiest things in the world.

The staff was the best I've encountered, they go above and beyond to help, definitely do the walking tour and the pub crawl they offer as well

Aaaand last but not least, there is a pizzeria attached to the hostels building and it has the best pizza I've ever had. We ate there 3 nights in a row. But if pizza isn't your thing there's also a grocery store around the other corner.

HIGHLY recommended. :)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ktskinns
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Amistat Beach Hostel was booked via a friend I was traveling with (she choose it) who knows much more about how to find good places to stay. I'm actually not really into staying at hostels, and so I'm usually a bit worried. Luckily for all of us, it did actually live up to all of the reviews! I really enjoyed my time here. Not only are the people who work here really friendly and helpful, but it's a brand-new hostel. Things I like: the lounge area with all of the bean bag chairs and the music playing, there are vending machines, a large kitchen (with a refrigerator to use), breakfast that is included, a big bathroom (toilets) on the first floor that I didn't find until the last day, blowdryers in the showers room, the outlets near the beds, comfortable beds, keycards (they even lock the "dressers" that are under the bed), the cleanliness of the property. However, I thought the two toilets near the rooms was insufficient, especially because the sinks were really small and water was always getting everywhere. When I was there they were still working on the lights in the bathrooms so it was a bit dark in there, but I think it's finished now. Overall, I would recommend this to anyone! I love Barcelona and thanks for making my trip awesome, Amistat!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hostel was a pleasant surprise. We booked it right when we arrived in Barcelona and there was still availability for that night. It was a 5 minute walk from beautiful sandy beaches and a quick metro ride into the city center. Everything was brand new, the kitchen was well-equipped, and breakfast was free and definitely adequate for a Spanish breakfast.

But what was really amazing was the service. I have never met such helpful and thoughtful people as those working at Amistat Beach Hostel. They made tapas for us which we could purchase for only 1 euro, and when there were leftovers they offered them to us for free. They showed us how to get into town and to the airport, and where to get some good paella nearby. And the day of our checkout they let us leave our stuff in the storage room and hang out in the public areas of the hostel all day until it was time to leave for our flights.

It isn't far from downtown, but it's just far enough that you get some nature and some peace and quiet. The beach is amazing and is probably something you might not see if you weren't staying so close to it. Would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hostel to anyone staying in Barcelona!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends