Review Highlights
Found by chance

Marvellous ! The place of dreams ( and nightmares !) 40 years of traditional papier-mâché mask... read more

Reviewed October 25, 2016

from $97.21
More Info
from $22.87
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 25, 2016 via mobile

Marvellous ! The place of dreams ( and nightmares !)
40 years of traditional papier-mâché mask making . From Venetian to carnival , theatre to macabre . Anna was happy to let us try on at our leisure & was most helpful . That's Halloween sorted ..

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed September 14, 2016

I'm a mask maker so when I almost literally bumped into this store on my way to the Picasso museum I was delighted ..... but ..... More so when I got chatting with the proprietor. what a gem this place is.

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed February 17, 2016

What an amazing experience entering another world once we stepped inside this beautiful shop. The staff are wonderful and very patient as we tried on endless handmade carnaval masks, as we played and laughed.... such joy!I was looking for that special gift for my son who has entered the theatre world. They also shared some local knowledge of the best place to eat where we had a delicious authentic Catalonia meal. Thank you so much. Gracias!

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed June 12, 2015

You cannot miss it, beautiful shop. Would upload photos but they do not allow pictures to be taken in store. These lovely hand made masks are a dying art. You could be cheap made in China fakes or the real deal. Most are made of gesso from moulds and all are hand painted but a group of artists who work together. Would definitely buy more the next time I'm in Barca.

No other shops I know stock original Zanni masks, the plague doctor masks (the one with the really long beak designed to 'prevent disease' and the bauta masks too. These are serious carnival masks.. not for the average costume party.
The also do fun ones and half face masks too.
Small ones range from EUR20 upwards. Very reasonable considering the time it takes a person to make these.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank MeowingMarauder
Reviewed April 27, 2015

I think the name of this place is Arlequi Mascares. It is a family owned business with a magnificent array of handmade masks. As you walk in it has an amazing ambiance. Seeing all the various masks on the walls gives a sense of magic. Must see if you get the chance.

Date of experience: April 2015