“Great place not far from the Ramblas”
Review of Caravelle

Caravelle
Ranked #224 of 10,193 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Raval
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We popped in for a quick bite on a Friday evening, having read some good reviews, and were not disappointed. The burger was delicious, and the cava with home-made cherry cordial was lovely. Will definitely go back and work our way through the menu in the future.

1  Thank FishCatBadger

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous place to chill and have a coffee on a Sunday afternoon. Food is excellent too and with great service, what do can you ask for?

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Caravelle is a relatively new restaurant with an interesting menu, a very central location, minimal decor, and some of the worst service I've ever had in Barcelona. Keep in mind that this is difficult; service in this city is often appalling, but Caravelle somehow manages to win the prize of being the worst, twice.

My first experience here was in the fall, and after hearing good things about the place, I was eager to try it out. I sat down at a table and noticed that on a blackboard posted on a column there was a special type of coffee advertised, so I decided to order it. Wrong idea. The waitress very callously informed me that this was indeed the only type of coffee served in the place, employing a tone usually reserved for a misbehaving dog. I should have walked out, but I stayed, and the coffee was very good, but a coffee and a muffin set me back 5€. If you are used to Starbucks, that might seem like a steal, but in Barcelona it's just simply stealing.

Several months pass, and always willing to give places a second chance, I returned on July 13th in the evening. It was about 10:30 at night or so, and the place was about half full. I asked for a table with a friend, sat down, and we ordered two beers. The waiter smirked when I ordered, then walked away. Later, as other customers arrived and sat at various tables, I noticed that each table was receiving their orders and we still hadn't gotten our beer. After about 15 minutes of waiting I decided to walk about. As I passed the waiter on the way out, I got a very, very spiteful "thanks, bye" and a look of total disrespect.

This place has tons of potential-- the kitchen is clearly something that has been invested in, because the menu is quite attractive. But how these places manage to stay afloat with such horrible service beats me. My suggestion: avoid this one and make your way past it to any of the other thousands of restaurants in the city worth visiting.

4  Thank delorai
Zim S, Owner at Caravelle, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

I don't usually reply to reviews, everyone has their opinion, and we don't always get it right.

I'm sorry that you felt it necessary to post this review here and elsewhere on the web. However, I feel I must respond to your criticism of our staff, because although we may not provide the perfect service every time, our staff try hard to make sure everybody feels welcome. None of them are the kind of people who behave in the manner that you described. As anyone familiar with the general standard of service in Barcelona will know, to say that we have the worst service in the city, really stretches the credibility of your review.

The other issue I have to raise, is your referral to our prices as "stealing". Sure, you can find a cheaper coffee and muffin in Barcelona, but where and how do you think those muffins and that coffee are produced? We use a local coffee roaster, who sources ethically grown beans. And as with all our food (bread and pastries included) the muffins are baked fresh everyday. For instance, today our muffins were made with ricotta, toasted almonds and plums from the market, yesterday, we used bananas, walnut and dark chocolate. It took over an hour to make and bake them. The ingredients are not cheap and so we believe that 3 euros is a fair price to pay. Your coffee that cost only 1.80 was made with fresh milk from a farm 30kms north of Barcelona. The cows have names. We support local businesses and we aim to appeal to people who care about how their food is sourced and produced. A lot of people really appreciate the effort we make, but If you are happy with a mass produced frozen muffin, good for you.

Tomorrow, I am getting up at 6 to bake brioche buns for the hamburgers. I will mix the patties myself with 3 cuts of beef that we have specially chosen for their flavour and fat content. I might pick up some peaches and hazelnuts to make muffins. They'll come out of the oven at about 10.30. Stop by while they are still warm.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great place near Ramblas, nice décor and good service. I had Morroccan eggs which was gorgeous and husband had bacon with parmesan mushrooms (why have I never thought to make this before, gorgeous and easy too). Would have liked to have visited for lunch/dinner too as I think it would be lovely. One down side was that the coffee was very bitter.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

It was late and we didn't feel like fancy food. So we had, a hamburger, grilled prawns, bbq corn and homemade fries with aioli. Yummy! With one red wine and two cokes it was 33 euro incl a small tip.