Ways to Experience Raval
from $113.22
from $24.02
from $142.96
More Info
All reviews las ramblas petty crime real barcelona palau guell great fun skateboarders tourists rolex immigrants malba diversity galleries quarter parts pickpockets
Selected filters
Reviewed May 10, 2019

The main street of this neighbourhood is very wide and tree lined, mostly with palm trees, which adds to its appeal. To make it even more attractive authorities have allowed local cafes and restaurants to have outdoor seating and this gives the area a kind of open and joyous atmosphere. That's probably great for the daytime hours, but it's a bit different in the darker parts of the day. Perhaps owing to the predominant cultural background of residents, there is a feeling of unease about this neighbourhood. We did not experience any such unease. On the contrary we walked around a number of streets and saw no great difference between this part of Barcelona and others. But that was on one day. We could not vouch for other times. Hopefully visitors would be very careful wherever they go. This is true of many other places, and it is certainly true of this particular place as well.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed December 21, 2018

After a lovely dinner nearby, my dude and I walked through this area on our way back to the Airbnb and were mugged. We were aware of the tricks used and when asked "where are you from?" shooed him away and continued walking. Undeterred he continued after us, grabbed my dude and shook him while other guys who came up behind us got my dude's cell phone from his FRONT pants pocket. It happened so fast and was reasonably aggressive. When making the police report, they told us El Rival is the most dangerous area of Barcelona and to avoid it completely. They also said the police presence isn't good right now and would advise everyone to NOT visit Barcelona at this time.

Date of experience: December 2018
3  Thank pearlwhite
Reviewed October 16, 2018

El Raval does have a reputation as being a little scary and whilst it does look a bit rough and dirty, in places, it is also very interesting. To the west of Las Ramblas, it is full of trendy shops, bars and restaurants, with a number of small, hidden squares, perfect for exploring. It is also where you will find many of Barcelona's top attractions, such as Museo d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA), Palau Guell, and my personal favourite, La Boqueria. The choice of food options is endless, with cuisines from all over the world available to try. As others have said, it would not be the best idea to walk around, waving your Rolex, or 50 euros notes, in the air but if you keep your wits about you, you should be fine.

Date of experience: October 2018
3  Thank SaleDamc
Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

I had read up about the Raval neighbourhood in my home town of Liverpool before starting and eighth days holiday to Barcelona, I had read about it being a bit rough and ready but being open minded I thought I would check it out and to be honest the area was really good.
Ok I wouldn't walk around here with Rolex dangling from my wrist or flash a bulging wallet but I can only judge it on my two visits here.
The first time I went was on a roasting hot afternoon, walked down Rambla De Raval, got my photo took with the big cat statue and went 4 or 5 pubs and bars here were we sat out and enjoyed some great craft beers ,had a great time,the second visit was on a Friday night ,place was bouncing ,pubs,bars and restaurants all rammed not just with locals but with tourists as well ,let's not forget that this area is just off Las Ramblas,again we had a great time.
I've been travelling for well over 30 years ,I go abroad at least 12 times a year and have been far ropier places than Raval,if you take safety precautions such as keep your valuables close by,stay with your friends and be aware whose around you then your pretty much safe.
I enjoyed the district,in my opinion I think more petty crime is committed in the so called safe tourist areas such as Las Ramblas .
I enjoyed my experience here,if you want to sample a different aspect of Barcelona then a visit to this diverse multi cultural district of this vibrant city might be for you.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank 293neilk
Reviewed September 9, 2018

I used to live in El Raval (on the right side of la Rambla del Raval) and no matter what you read about the district in some travel blogs and guides; be aware that this district got some rough if not dangerous corners during the night and even during the day.

I seriously recommend not wearing a watch or checking your cell phone and don't answer questions that random people might ask you.

Don't get me wrong, I loved living there, but please be warned that things can get sketchy quite quickly around there. Therefore I wouldn't recommend it to Families. Besides, kids would see hookers, drug addicts, cops that look the other way, small groups of pickpockets or thieves, homeless people etc.

It's a great place if you are little more the adventurous type of person, just don't have any valuable stuff with you. Some of my friends had to learn this the hard way.

If you are still not sure, google EL RAVAL and see for yourself.

Date of experience: August 2018