“Amazing stay!!”

Mercer Hotel Barcelona
Ranked #3 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have just returned from an amazing 3 night stay at the Mercer Hotel. We couldn't fault the hotel, from the amazing room, unbelievably comfortable bed and superb mojitos on the roof top terrace. A superb gem in the gothic region of Barcelona. I loved everything about it and would definitely return.....5 stars

7  Thank 12Wacko
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Mr. 12Wacko,

Thank you so much for your excellent review,

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I can say you we work everyday with an objective, improve and improve, and when I read comments like your I know that we are in the right way.

Thanks!

There are newer reviews for Mercer Hotel Barcelona

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed 6 nites, based off TA reviews. Be advised, this place is small. It is a converted SMALL townhouse. The "lobby" is a small room, with a curtain to the Tapas bar. There are 6 or so tables in the restaurant. The "pool" is 3 feet deep and about ten feet by 5 feet. The terrace that the pool is on has 8 sun chairs and a tiny bar. Its more like staying at a friends house. We didnt find the warm friendly helpful service. Our first room, 306 was directly under the terrace, which is open til 11pm and then they LOUDLY clean it for another hour. So, you will be woken up. Yes, the shutters make it dark, but the noise cancels that out. on website, gran deluxe has a balcony, our gran deluxe did not. It was a room. After my husband called front desk about noise at midnight, it did not stop. He went up to see, and they told him they would be done soon, they didnt stop. They did upgrade us to an awesome suite for last 3 nights, but that does not change the experience others will have. The bartender at the terrace disappeared for long periods of time. TOok forever to get service. Not sure what breakfast others had, but the ones we had were awful. Undetectable, and it was eggs and bacon. Not edible. Ate there 2 days, and then had to go find food. Soupy eggs (even fried ones) and grey bacon. The ham in the tapas place came off the whole hog leg that was on display there, all day long. Hoof included. Even the rolls were tasteless, and we tried! Need electrical converters if you are US. Asked front desk to send them up, had to ask again next day. Asked for a restaurant suggestion, they gave us a touristy pit. Went around and found our own. Arranged car with hotel from Airport to hotel. He had no idea where the place was, we had to walk several blocks, luggage in tow. For over $100 euros! Leave crumbs when you leave the hotel, you will never find your way back. And noone local knows where it is. It is new, it is clean. People seemed to WANT to do a good job. But, the staff was very young and inexperienced. This is a good place, it just does not warrant the perfect ratings.In order to keep the AC on, you have to leave a key in a slot. Somedays we got turn down and water, and some we did not. Dont go with over the top expectations, as we did, after being misled by reviews, its ok, not WONDERFUL.

Room Tip: do not let them put you in a room under the pool/terrace.
4  Thank wrdlyone
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Mrs. wrdlyone,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, even though I want to apologize for the inconveniences experienced during your stay.

Based on your review, I would like to share the below arguments with you:

1- The Mercer Hotel is indeed a "small" boutique hotel, located by the Gothic area. We do have a cozy reception area located separated by a large velvet courtain from the Vermut restaurant. The large lobby is located next to the orange courtyard with comfortable sofas.

2-The gastronomic restaurant Mercerino was projected to be intimate and with reduced number of tables (8) to offer a private ambience to our guests. However there are additional 7 tables by the orange tree patio available as well for breakfast, lunch and dinners.

3- Considering the hotel and terrace size, the pool was projected to be more a plounge pool, where to relax and enjoy the views to the Gothic houses roofs, offering an intimate ambiance skeeping the city noise. I do apologize for the noises disturbing you late at night when turning down the terrace once was closed. We took immediate action to move you to our main Suite to avoid being disturbed at night.

4- I was surprised to hear that breakfast did not meet at all your expectations, as in most of the guest reviews received, breakfast is always rated as amazing, spectacular, delicious...in any case, I have already spoken with the Chef about your bad experience.

5- Spanish ham is cut from the whole pigs leg including hoof, stored in room temperature. It's considered a delicacy that can cost several hundred dollars per pound, as explained one of our Guests.

It is true that sometimes it is hard to find our Hotel due to its location and because we just opened 9 months ago, but we are making all possible efforts to get to know our hotel.

As General Manager I am really proud of my staff and I can assure you they provide all their best to achieve guests satisfaction, and they will continue to do so.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

If someone asks me if I would recommend Mercer Barcelona, I do know what to say. The staff is excellent. The location is very good, in the middle of Barrio Gótico. However, it is good to advise you that the majority of taxi drivers will drop you some meters of the hotel and you will have to walk something like 3 or 4 blocks. This did not bother me at all. What I did like of the hotel is that is a kind of place that I am always looking for: quite and calm. The hotel was full but I did not notice that. Before booking Mercer, I almost booked W Hotel. Thanks god I did not. I went one night to W Hotel to have drinks with friends who were guests there and W Hotel would be the last place I would like to be: crowded, noisy, parties in every where, big hotel that the staff have no idea if you are guest or not. So going back to Mercer, the hotel is the opposite of that. Also the bed is really good, one of the best. But for the price they charge (470 euros on weekends and 350 euros on work days), they have to improve many things. In my room it did not have mini-bar. They have a sort of swimming pool, and at 7 pm the Terraza is transformed in a bar, literally. They take out the long chaises and put tables and chairs, that means that if you want stay longer at your chaise long, they will ask you to move to a chair and a table. In a nut shall: good staff, nice hotel, but pricey. Could be better. Next time in Barcelona I will try Mandarin Oriental. Let´s see.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RCM1977
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Mr. RCM1977,

Thank you for your comments, they are very important for us.

As General Manager of the Mercer Hotel Barcelona I take a note of all your comments to improve. This is our first summer open, and after comments like your, we are thinking in the possibility to change de time table of the terraza for the next year.

Warm regards and I'm sure that we can resolve all the small things and you can get back with us,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Based on the great reviews I had chosen this hotel as a surprise to pop the big question to my girlfriend! I wasn't disappointed. 3 nights at a great hotel.

On arrival we were met by a smart friendly concierge service, reception had drinks waiting for us and on route to the room we were given a personal tour of the hotel informing us of its rich history. A great start.

The room itself was smallish but pretty impressive, they had made good use of the space and made an old building look modern while keeping some character (wooden beam, archway feature). We came back on our first day to find a bottle of sparking wine in the room with fresh cherries and chocolates. We accidentally left the 'do not disturb' sign on the door one day so the room didn't get cleaned, to our surprise we got a knock on the door at 8.30pm asking us if we still wanted it to be cleaned and they offered to wait until 9pm when we went for dinner. Very polite and accommodating.

The roof top terrace/pool is clean, smart and the barman was attentive but still gave you plenty of room to feel relaxed. One barman was particularly helpful and came to our rescue to retrieve the cork from our post engagement celebratory bottle of bubbly which had popped off in the wrong direction.

The hotel is in a great location, close to bars and restaurants, 5 mins from a subway, 10 mins from Las Ramblas.

The concierge was helpful providing tips and recommendations. The best tip was that you could buy tickets at an ATM for the Sagrada Familia, this meant avoiding the huge queues.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and this should set the bar for all other 5 star hotels!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jamiemac11

Dear Mr. Jamiemac11,

Thank you for your excellent review, they are important for us.

We hope that the response was YES! and never forget your stay in the Mercer Hotel Barcelona.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having read the glowing reviews we looked forward to our recent stay with high expectations. These were not met, primarily due to pretty average levels of service. The location is great - right in the middle of the old quarter and walking distance to the Cathedral and the marina district. Architecturally the hotel is interesting - a good mix of the old and the very new - in a highly atmospheric and characterful part of town. The rooms are large, but inclined to be a bit dark, and the aircon arrangement means it's freezing in the bathroom area and warm in the bed area. Make sure you like open bathrooms.

However, the hotel struggled on the service front. Our early morning incoming flight was delayed so we called ahead to the hotel to ask them to call our privately arranged guide that we would be late. This wasn't done, mainly because the guy on the desk at 6.30am seemed to struggle with understanding what we wanted, so our guide turned up and we therefore had to pay for an un-used day. In addition, the house-keeping team seems to struggle with simple things like bottle-openers for the fridge, no laundry bags (without being asked 3 times), and the restaurant occasionally seemed short-handed. None of these were big issues by themselves but all added up to a degree of irritation we didn't expect, and didn't expect to pay for. Next time in Barcelona, we'd probably go and stay at the Mandarin Oriental, where you know that service standards are high.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Gwylan01

Dear Mr. Gwylan01,

As General Manager I am deeply sorry to hear that your stay was not as expected. I have made some researchs and spoke with the involved persons and departments to be sure I clearly understood the situation before answering you.

Having read your review I would like to analyse the different opportunities lived during your stay:

Our Night Audit received your call informing of your flight delay and even though the conversation was hard to understand as it was made from the airport and there was back noise, he agreed as per your instructions, to postpone the morning private site visit you had directly contracted (not through the hotel) to later in the afternoon, and this is the reason why the guide came at the hotel to meet you. In no case, the information received was to cancel the visit, but postpone it to a later time on the same arrival day.

In terms of housekeeping, I must admit that we did run out of laundry bags for some days and we had a hard time to receive them from our provider. I can assure you that currently all rooms have now laundry bags.

I want to once again apologise for not receiving the service expected.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We recently stayed at the Mercer hotel for a four night sojourn in Barcelona. The location is the absolute best for exploring the gritty/cool Bario Gotic section of the city. The hotel is tucked away on a quiet street with an unassuming entrance. Although it is located in an ancient building is has been renovated beautifully to provide a gorgeous reception, bar, restaurant and outdoor breakfast area on the first floor, beautiful and well sized guest rooms on the upper floors and a petite but well proportioned pool, lounge and seating area on the roof.

Our room was a junior suite overlooking the courtyard. It was nicely proportioned with a king bed dressed in crisp and cool percale sheets, a nice sitting area and large bath with a designer tub and shower. The toiletries are provided by Molton Brown (my favorite) and are amply replaced each day. Also there is sparkling and still water along with Coke and Diet Coke in the mini fridge which is complementary, a nice touch.

This property's best (and sometimes most perplexing) attribute is it's service. We had a wonderful experience with the front desk and concierge personnel who went out of their way to provide help, advice, reservations, etc. At the same time we had some frustrating experiences at breakfast and on the roof patio with servers. Although well meaning I think this can be chalked up to the newness of the hotel and have great hopes that these small inconsistencies can be worked out soon.

This hotel is a great value, in a great location and makes visiting Barcelona sexy and fun. Don't miss it.

Note, do yourself a favor and have the hotel provide transfers. The location is challenging for cars and if taking taxi you risk having to haul your bags a few blocks.

Room Tip: Junior suites facing the courtyard are sunny, quiet and serene.
3  Thank Miamiboys
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Mr. Rkenn,

The architectural rehabilitation has been commissioned to Mr. Rafael Moneo, Pritzker awards, who to done an extraordinary job. We are very proud of it!

The toiletries Molton Brown is one our last changes recomended for our guests to improve, we have it since two weeks.

Thanks a lot for your reviews and see you soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect. Right in the middle of Barri Gotic, near the cool El Born and more touristy Las Ramblas. Walking distance to Boqueria, Barceloneta, the Gothic Quarter sights and near the subway for easy connection to Eixample, Sagrada etc.
This boutique hotel is very charming, with beautiful stone work, wooden beams and sleek design.
The concierge Florencia was excellent, extremely professional and helped us secure hard-to-get dinner reservations and made great recommendations.
Our only disappointment was with the room, ours had particularly low ceilings, "half" windows, ugly construction view below, and poorly connected. By poorly connected we mean that the minibar was stored in the closet, where there was no electrical outlet, so we had to put the fridge in the middle of the entryway so that the cord could reach the outlet to keep the drinks and jamon/manchego snacks we picked up at the market cool. But since the electricity is linked to the hotel key being inserted near the door, when we would leave the room and housekeeping came through, they would remove the key (probably to save electricity) and so we would come back and the drinks/food was warm, the room was hot, and again in an effort to save electricity: the window shutters and drapes shut tight. While we commend this effort, we found it a bit excessive for what is supposed to be a 5-star luxury hotel. Overall, an excellent option in Barcelona for charm, location and wonderful service...they just need to work on the rooms a bit and also add a fitness center which was also a miss.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MCP_Traveler1A
Francesc H, Director General at Mercer Hotel Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Mrs. MCP_Traveler1A,

Thank you very much for your comments, I feel really proud when our guests talk wonders about the staff.

I would apologize for all that happened in your room. I take a note of all your propositions to improve. Sorry for all the inconvenients that we can cause in your stay,