“Fantastic in every aspect”

Hotel Center Gran Via
Ranked #56 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have only praise for the Center Gran Via-excellent staff, spotlessly clean, quiet, great facilities including a safe, use of a computer, fridge and complimentary tea and coffee. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We booked a triple room here for 4 nights. Aerobus stop (Pl. UNIVERSITAT) was located fifty metres from the hotel. Just cross the road and head left away from the university. We were greeted warmly by Joey - he was so professional and friendly that we asked if he was the owner! He was so helpful and told us some key places for us to visit, and gave us some invaluable tips on finding our way around the city. He said that the wifi signal was not great in our room, but it was enough for loading Web pages and doing basic WhatsApp messaging, when it worked it was very fast indeed, the signal was just low. Computer was just down the hall but we didn't need it. Upon arrival, you get a little basket for the fridge which is useful for storing some basic breakfast things. We made a lot of use of this because we had a nice little outside terrace where we had our meals in the morning.

What also impressed me was the little introduction folder that is placed in every room. It has some recommendations, safety tips, transport advice which we found very helpful. This added a personal touch which we appreciated.

Some other reviewers mentioned the shower pressure but we did not experience this, as our shower was working fine. Either the management has fixed this, or our room was just an exception.

This hotel is basic, and I must stress this because you should not book here if you are are used to a very comfortable level of accommodation. Our room had some antique looking tiles which added a unique touch but they were cracked and scuffed in places, and the bathroom tiles need to be maintained more I think. It is not the most modern hotel but it is extremely clean and our room was punctually refreshed every morning.

As other reviewers have mentioned, what sets this place apart is really the service. The receptionists were so helpful and friendly, and their grasp of English was excellent. They never hesitated to ask us how our day was when we came back to the hotel in the evening. I have stayed in many establishments, but this was the first time that I was truly welcomed and made to feel at home. When we came back to pick up our luggage before our flight, the receptionist asked if we wanted to use the computers, toilets or help ourselves to tea and coffee before leaving.

Overall, this was a very good choice in terms of location. Barcelona is easy to navigate and we were able to easily walk to la ramble or take the metro to the beach. We also found a couple of great restaurants less than a minutes' walk away. Also I would normally prefer a more modern hotel, , I would certainly return to this place when visiting Barcelona again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Warm people, cozy atmosphere, one of the best service ever had.
Barcelona is so wonderful and the hotel helped us enjoy it at its best. Receptionists were so welcoming that it was a pleasure to ask for direction and for restaurants.
Thank you!
Alicia & Roy.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We only stayed here for 2 nights, to finish our holiday, and wow, what a warm arrival, couldn't ask for more, such enthusiasm for a city and willing to share so much information, rooms are small but immaculate, spotlessly clean and well maintained, there is a room safe and large communal fridge for use. Hotel is located very conveniently for all that Barcelona has to offer and only 5 mins walk to the Aerobus stop. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Center Gran Via has got 4 good Cs: (1) Centrally located, in university area, close to train station & aerobus to/from airport. It is in an apartment building, and there are not many rooms here so the service level tends to be warm & friendly. (2) Cheerful: Elvira will welcome you with a wealth of information about Barcelona. She will send you email to remind you about your booking. She loves her job and is at good at it dealing with guests, and she sets the standard that her colleagues may not match! Because there is a friendly atmosphere set by Elvira, the guests learn to be congenial to one another even if they are strangers. Seldom in my stays in other hotels have I seen guests greet one another. (3) Clean: the hotel seems newly furnished in flooring and bathroom fixtures. It is very well maintained, and eco-friendly (you can sleep with the same bedsheets for 4 nights). (4) Comfort: despite the no-frills aspect, the hotel is quite comfortable and cosy. There is one computer for you to share with others. And you can store food in the refrigerator for your own snack or breakfast.

Room Tip: During spring & summer, it is best you close the bathroom door. The neighboring apartment block...
Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hilltriber
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We arrived in Barcelona at around 2130 and were greeted by the wonderful Elvira upon our arrival. She warmly greeted us, talked with us about our time in Europe so far, and gave us a little tour of Barcelona on a map - telling us what to see and what to skip based on what we like to do.

Elvira was wonderful and let me make this clear - Elvira was Barcelona for us. She was warm, friendly, helpful, excited, and kind. She was everything that we had ever been told about the city and I can't say enough about her.

We had a nice interior room with a private patio. The room itself was pretty and the high ceilings and tiled floors were beautiful. The patio was a wonderful addition and made the room feel much larger than it actually is. The air conditioning was very efficient and cooled the room down to a comfortable level very quickly.

The location was wonderful. We could walk to Las Ramblas from the hotel quite easily and L'eixample is immediately north of the hotel. We found little need for the metro in most cases, except when we got tired of walking. We even walked to the Sagrada Familia from here - though, I would tell anyone to take the metro instead!

The only complaint about the room was the shower. While large and beautiful... the water pressure was so low that taking a shower was more theoretical than actual. It was the only sour spot in an otherwise fantastic 3 night stay!

When I return to Barcelona, I will be sure to stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a room with a private patio!
2  Thank kmiles75
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hotel Gran Via was my favorite hotel on our recent two-week excursion across Europe!

The hotel is in a fantastic location right in the middle of the "left" and "right" L'eixample neighborhoods. We arrived by AeroBus, and we only had to walk about a block to reach the hotel. It's inside an apartment building where they've turned one entire floor into hotel rooms. The space is really simple and beautiful. Right up my alley.

The best part of the hotel, though, is the receptionist (and office manager extraordinaire), Elvira. If the owner happens to read this, you need to pay her more money. Seriously, no matter what you're already paying her, it's not enough. She's *that* fantastic.

Elvira met us at the hotel late at night when we arrived, and she was incredibly warm and inviting. She whipped out a map of the city, circled all the "must-dos", and then even recommended a late-night spot for some grub. In my mind, Elvira *is* Barcelona. Throughout our entire stay in the city, she helped us many, many times. She even printed my airline tickets and helped me plan my AeroBus trip back to the airport.

As for the rest of the hotel...

Our room was beautiful! It had the great parts of being old and classical - tall ceilings, gorgeous moldings and floors, and our own private patio! But the room also had modern amenities - like a flat-screen TV, comfy bed, and powerful A/C.

My only gripe about the room was the shower. The bathroom was fairly large, and the shower was the largest we had in Europe. But the water pressure in the shower was merely a drizzle. And there was no shelves to put our toiletries - like soap and shampoo. Oh well, that's a minor gripe for an overall fantastic experience.

As for the cost? It was such a deal at about $120 USD per night! The next time I'm in Barcelona, I'm totally staying at the Hotel Gran Via - but I'm staying for more than three nights!

2  Thank Bryant M