“Great Hotel - A Barcelona Favourite”

Hotel Indigo Barcelona - Plaza Catalunya
Ranked #97 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This place is an oasis in the middle of a city full of "average" hotels. Really good city centre location just a block and a half from a Metro / Rodalies station (PdeG), and with a bus stop just a few metres away from the hotel entrance.

Friendly if a little chaotic on check-in, and a great high quality sixth floor room - everything you'd expect from the Hotel Indigo brand. The hidden gem though is the hotel food. Normally we'd avoid hotel restaurants and head out for dinner, but tired from the journey we enjoyed a delightful meal in the rear courtyard next to the pool. Good food at sensible prices - we were well impressed!!

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms will be quieter, although the noise insulation was good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our recent 3 night stay at Hotel Indigo. I can't say enough about the fabulous location of the hotel- right off Psg de Gracia, walking distance to Ramblas and more. The hotel itself is very new and clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have experienced and we actually looked forward to going back to the room at the end of a long day. The hotel staff was very nice and helpful as far as directions, restaurant recommendations, holding our luggage, etc. We took advantage of the small but nice pool area and even enjoyed a glass of Cava by it, thanks to the waitstaff who brought this out to us along with some complimentary bar snacks. Note: If you want the air conditioning on, you have to tell the front desk and they will turn it on for you and give you a choice of temperatures.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay somewhere new, modern, and comfortable as well as be close to the great sights Barcelona has to offer! I hope to one day return.

1  Thank Lghgs2002
Reviewed June 25, 2013

When attended an international forum in the city of Barcelona, we stayed at the Hotel Indigo. We enjoyed the ambient and the service from all of the employees. The rooms outstanding and the food including breakfast, value for money. Being closed to the center, we also received excellent guidance in outdoor activities. Using local taxis on daily basis was definetely a good idea, the hotel location is perfect for getting fair and reasonable "Taxis" rates from any point of the city.
Definetly my favorite hotel for next visits to Barcelona. One feels certainly younger when surrounded by younger and dedicated employees of the hotel, specially the reception folks were great. An experience I never thought to get in Barcelona.

Room Tip: Be always nice to everybody in the hotel and you will see great things can be done. As the hotel did...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Fredrik B
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been their 2 months ago, and it was wonderful. I was in many hotels and this is defenitly the best hotel for families! we were 2 adults and 2 kids and everything was clean, delicious and the services are great! if we had a problem with something or we wanted to know something about the city the hotel gave us everything. The hotel is not very expensive and it was great!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week before a cruise out of Barcelona, early June, 20013. It is centrally located, on a busy street, just around the corner from Passeo Gracia, and across from Via leitano and angels, much nicer areas than las Ramblas. Easy to walk everywhere, and abundant Taxis right in front. Marcos at the front desk very helpful. The room we had faced the back courtyard/pool, and was extremely quiet. The room was very clean, decor was nice ( looked better in person than in photos on hotel web site) great comfortable bed and bedding. The room has a very nice alcove with a desk, mini bar and sofa bed, floor to ceiling windows that open to a balconette, very bright and airy. The room had it's own complimentary espresso maker and electric tea kettle, a refrigerator stocked with complimentary water and orange juice. Nice built in closet space and a big safe. The bathroom very clean and modern, but could use a towel bar, better lighting and a little more shelf space. The pool area was large and inviting, nice big lounge chairs and big towels. My only complaints was the restaurant there, DOQ, had the most inedible dinner there, really bad and bad service too (despite being the only ones there), and strange room service: we ordered the "cheese plate with it's pairings". Up came a plate with some slices of cheese, no bread, crackers, pairings of any kind......whatever. Overall we were extremely happy with our stay- very quiet, big comfortable, clean room, great location hotel!

Room Tip: Absolutely get a courtyard/pool view room. Gorgeous view and very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have pretty good experiences of the Indigo brand having stayed in the London, Paddington hotel on very many occasions and more recently been VERY impressed by the hotel in Glasgow, so I was happy that the group had ditched the poor Holiday Inn in Barcelona and brought this hotel onto the arena.

I stayed for 5 nights, then 2 nights over a 10 day period combining work and pleasure and had my wife on tow. The location is a little lisleading if, like me, you don't pay much attention. I glanced, knew where Catalunya 'Square; was, headed there and . . . . . . . . . . . no-one had heard of it! The hotel is actually on Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes which is a fine location within walking distance of virtually everywhere.

First impressions. Reception makes or breaks a hotel in many ways. If greeted well you forgive small sins later, if not then you are always on the back foot. Many of the staff around the hotel give the impression that they are new and not really sure of themselves yet. This was true of Reception as well where nothing was done particularly badly, it just gave the impression that they were not comfortable in their role yet - example - I had come without an adaptor and asked at reception. The girl was fine in getting it but made me wait and sign for it and in very serious tone told me I'd be charged 25 Euro if I didn't hand it back. Later I asked for a cable for the internet connection as I was losing VPN over wifi. Again she made me sign for it and told me that I would be charged if I did not return it. All factual and business-like, but I had already got the picture that you are expected to return what you borrow.............. Now one notable exception to the 'new staff' and not-so-warm customer service was Andrea - she is superb. Happy, friendly, smiling - very efficient. Clone her please!

Another member of staff worthy of mention was the girl who's name I missed but who served us drinks then lunch in the bar / restaurant. Again very friendly.

A couple of criticisms:

1. Don't be misled or get over-excited by the mention of a pool - it is small. Very small.
2. Elevators - painfully slow. Surely they can go faster?

Having said all of that I really enjoyed the hotel and would have no hesitation in booking here again. The rooms are fine. Functional. One had a small verandha where you could stand and watch the world go by outside. It has a pleasant courtyard area besine the water feature (I refuse to describe it as a pool). They have made the effort with the menus and the food is pretty good.

Seems to be taking it's time to get the team working as a team but I'm sure it will get there. A good addition to the Indigo brand.

Room Tip: Both stays I had a Gran Via room - they were fine.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Arthur G
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here as the end stop on a 2-week France/Spain holiday. The hotel itself is very well-situated - a short walk (5 minutes) to the closest Metro station and 2 blocks from the stylish Passeig de Gracia (the Rodeo Drive of Barcelona). We were upgraded to Room 103 which had a spacious terrace overlooking the pool/courtyard area of the hotel. The room also had a sitting area with a desk, giving us lots of space for our numerous pieces of luggage. In the room was a safe and a coffee maker along with lovely toiletries. The bed and bath linens were top quality and freshened daily. The bathroom had plenty of space by European standards. The styling of the hotel is ultra modern and sleek which appealed to us. Breakfast was served downstairs for 15 euros - a bit pricey for what you got - but I asked if I could just have coffee and a baguette, and the server adjusted the price to 2 euros (you never know if you don't ask!).

My one complaint about the hotel has to do with the lack of knowledge by the front desk staff about area restaurants and landmarks. We wound up relying more on what we'd read on TripAdvisor or what we found on Google Maps which worked just fine.

I think this hotel is a great value for the price and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a modern, quiet, spacious room centrally-located.

Room Tip: Room 103 was spacious and quiet with a lovely terrace