“They're Doing it Right!”
Review of The Hipstel

The Hipstel
Ranked #156 of 732 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had an amazing experience at the Hipstel! The hostel provided just enough privacy on each floor and in the dressing/shower rooms but also enough common space to mingle and meet friends! I went out on a pub crawl which was super inexpensive and gave me a good opportunity to immerse myself into the Barcelona nightlife! I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Barcelona!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brittany R
There are newer reviews for The Hipstel

Reviewed September 8, 2013

It was my first time staying at a Hostel but as I was traveling alone thought I would give it a go.
All I can say its amazing, all of the very helpful staff spoke English. Beautifully decorated, very clean, great food, in a very up market part of the city (Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Channel and Gucci are on its doorstep). I shared a room with 10 others, lockers are provided for valuables (Take your own padlock or buy one at reception). All of my room mates spoke English (I speak no Spanish) met some great new friends from all around the world,I would recommend this hostel as somewhere to stay to anyone on a budget or backpacking or just on a weekend city break, Barcelona is a Dangerous place mainly at night, many of the guests, including me had phones or wallets stolen while out on the streets, in bars/clubs in the area or on the metro.
I would recommend the Night tours they arrange at reception, where they take you to a Bar and a Club (different each night) its well worth the money because traveling in a group with a guide (and joined by other groups from other hostels) is the safes way to enjoy the nightlife of Barcelona without getting robbed or thrown in Jail.
I did have a bad experience outside the hostel when I wondered off late at night on my own and my recommendation to avoid any issues with the police or thief's is: DO NOT take your wallet or phone out with you if you intend to drink alcohol (it will probably get stolen no matter how carful you are) Leave it in your locker or bag at hostel where it is safe!. In Spain you should carry ID (A UK,USA driving license will not be enough if the police decide to stop you) I spent 19hrs in Jail, but if I had taken my passport (hidden in underwear or strapped to leg under shorts/jeans ect) they I would have been allowed to pass by the Police (as they were annoyed I was not carrying it) and avoided any issues with it being stolen by the pick pockets (some of who are very pretty and will say anything to make you drop your guard). The last thing is be careful of Drink spiking weather you are Male or Female (there are gay bars/clubs nr Hostel) thief's will use drugs such as GHB (one drop can make you feel like you have drunk 20 pints of strong beer within 20 minutes) or magic mushrooms to make you loose your guard and then they can take your Wallet/Phone (if you have been silly enough to take them with you.)

Room Tip: Choose a room wih lots of people if you travel solo, you will make friends very quickly here!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

You can't fault this hostel. Firstly it's SO clean! I swear there is always a cleaner cleaning something! The hostel it's self has a great vibe, really cosy! Small kitchen but it's ok. Very good to meet people. The staff are supper friendly. Great location, near La Ramblas but far enough away to be a little quite. Only 5 minute walk to La Rambla. Pub crawl every night with other hostels. The pub crawl people cool dinner every night for those that want it, but they don't push if you don't. All in all, LOVED IT!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank KATEMUZZ88
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hipstel, I was there this new year.... may be late to recommend, but If I go back barcelona again I will stay at the hipstel .... good environment, best place to stay with multicultural network.. friends from all over the world. woooow it is nice ....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It's a very friendly and nice hostel. The rooms are clean and the service is good. The bar crawl event was really perfect as we arrived there for the first time. It helped us to discover the city and get to know new people...Location is good (not far away from plaça catalunya where the airport bus station is located)

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I loved it! The Hipstel Hostel is full of youg and good vibe people! the installations were really nice the breakfast was very good too! I surely recommend it either couples, friends or solo will have a great time there! well located and the area seemes very safe, if you are a lady, this is a great Choice. Victoria 31 years old.

Room Tip: half the days i shared the room and half my boyfriend and I didn't. Both rooms had lockers, so i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Cleanliness was very good and the kitchen was nice.

The breakfast was decent, but you have to wash your tableware on the breakfast and (worse than that) it might not be very clean because it was washed by other guests.

Employees are nice, but very unorganized: when I got to my bed on the second night there was someone else there because I didn't let any "personal objects" and the cleaning crew cleaned the bed (probably beacuse other guy checkout, his bed was intact).

My room doesn't had air conditioning, but wasn't so bad because of the window.

Room Tip: Dorm 10 is not worthy!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple