“The most terrible hotel I'be ever been”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #195 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
“The most terrible hotel I'be ever been”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My friends and I chose this hotel because the Room pictures on website is amazing. BUT!!! The real room is like 1 star motel room!! It's old, dirty, and everything seems cheap. The shower head is loosen, and made my room flood!!! Don't believe everything on their website, the just try to make money on gay people.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Vickytutu
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us during your last visit in Barcelona. Your opinion it´s very helpful for us and we really appreciate you take your time and give us your point of view about us.

We deeply regret that our facilities and rooms were not to your liking, personally apologize if you had any technical problem punctual in your room, we note, in case you did not comment at the time, the front desk, so we can solve the problem as quickly as possible, our premise is to offer the best service and the best quality for our guests feel at home.
We give us a second chance to improve your experience with us.

Axel Hotel Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here last October for my birthday and it was wonderful. Great location, rooms are nice and comfortable and mine had a great view....sorry cant remember the exact room but overlooked the front of the property. Rooftop pool and bar were ok but the spa is not to be missed!!! This hotel is "gay" without being too pretentious. Good deal for the price and will definitely stay again or perhaps check out the one in Germany. For the record ......I have been to the one in Buenos Aires but did not stay there. Had I known about it earlier would definitely have booked a room. The AXEL seems to know what's it doing as far as I can tell and they can consider me a loyal customer!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We are very glad that you´ve been very comfortable in your time with us!
We really apreciatte you take your time and give us your opinion.
We are pleased to have had you with us and hope to see you soon at any of our worldwide Axel Hotels.

london
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This overall is a good choice. Location is excellent- quiet location and lots of Lovely local restaurants to choose from. Daniel in reception was delightful, attentive and great customer service. The room is fine - basic and to the point- and the roof top bar a nice to have. My only comment overall is to say that gay hotel- should be mindful that gay includes men and women! This actually caters for gay men- from the pictures on the wall to the condoms in the bathroom. Perhaps It could look at extending its clientele by creating an environment that looks at gay people nor just gay men.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for sharing it on Trip Advisor. Axel Hotel Barcelona is synonymous with quality and really is what we want to give all our guests and what matters most to us is that our customers spend a pleasant stay in our hotel.
Regarding your comment about gay men only approach, we take note of your proposal, step by step we are expanding our services more dedicated to gay women.
Hope to see you again very soon and that you give us another opportunity to improve your experience with us.

Ystad, Sweden
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Very good hotel in Barca, close to everything, great service, great rooms, heterofrindly! Great spa and excellent opportunities for good massage. Nice bar and pool on rooftop. There are opportunities to meet new friends and meet a city that is hot and delicious. Close to great bars and great shopping. Take a taxi to the beach and enjoy great people, good food!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very glad that you´ve been very comfortable in your time with us!
We really apreciatte you take your time and give us your opinion.
Your opinion is always welcomed to improve our services.

Canton, CT
Reviewed June 5, 2013

First trip to Barcelona and many of my gay friends recommended the Axel. I read many of the reviews posted here and decided I would give it a try.

So, what I'd say is it all depends on what you are looking for...and if it is a good match for your expectations. This part of the city was idyllic...I absolutely loved it. I stayed solo for a total of 8 nights. I would not stay there again for these reasons...so decide if they would apply to your situation or not.

1) rooms are nicely decorated, but sparse. Hanging clothes is tough for that many nights/not enough hangars. I can't imagine staying with a partner for a week!

2) No place to hang any wet workout clothes or even wet towels. The shower setup is truly amazing...plenty of hot water, great showerhead/handheld combination but only one bathrobe hook! My gym shorts had to be hung over the top of the glass shower door to dry out....no other place in the room to do that.

3) Free wifi is ONLY for one device and very misleading. You have to pay additional charge for a 2nd device. I travel with both a laptop and my iPad. (When I complained about the misleading confirmation they eventually did not charge me for the 2nd device) Also, the "password" is only good for 5 days regardless of your stay, so you have to remember to get a new user id/password combination.

4) Breakfast buffet I thought was very good....but after 8 days a little bit of change up in the fresh fruit would have been nice. I disagree with others that say the breakfast is average at best.

5) Terrace/rooftop bar is truly amazing/relaxing. But 4 euros for a small Coke with ice is outrageous.

6) Much information about "things you need to know" are not shared....everything became a question to the front desk. Daniel though in particular was VERY helpful, great recommendations on places to eat dinner, etc.

7) Complaints about old robes were interesting to me. I am 6'3" and I had a robe that was WAY too small and slippers for the Wellness Spa that were downright dangerous they were so small for my size 12/46 feet! I even put in the confirmation which wasn't read that I am tall and wanted a king size bed. That alone should have triggered someone's attention or even at check in to swap out for a L/XL size robe/slipper combination. The details are what set a hotel apart from the competition.

So - bottom line if you are in Europe and only staying for a few nights I'd say go for it. If you are used to American customer service standards (like checking on how your meal was prepared!) and are staying for a week with a partner I'd strongly advise checking out another hotel.

In fairness, I did raise my concerns with Mr. Perez. However, after sending him an email the night before with all my suggestions on how to improve the experience I heard nothing back. Very disappointing. So for me it was truly 2.5 stars at best....others might easily rate it higher and I could understand that.

Room Tip: A room on the higher level floors are a must. They tried to put me on the 2nd floor with a Premium r...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank whollis
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your opinion and time invested in it. We greatly appreciate the trust you have placed in us. In Axel Hotel Barcelona, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can enjoy the hotel and its facilities.
I would also like to apologize if our decor was not to his liking, and, it seemed that our facilities were small, I invite you to try our Premium or Suite rooms are much more spacious, always try to pay maximum dedication and care in all our things, but not always at ease for everyone.

We hope for a second chance and see you soon with us in any of the Axel Hotels around the world
Yours sincerely,
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Overall this was not a bad place to stay. I had a corner room where the windows opened to the street below and there was some slight traffic noise but it was more amusing than annoying. The room was small but served its purpose as a place to sleep and shower. It was not overly decorated but done just enough to work well. The staff was very courteous and helpful - they even held our bags the day that we checked out as we were taking a very late train to Paris. There is a bar on the first floor of the hotel also.

Room Tip: I would explore the option of a larger room or even a suite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JORGEPEREZ, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
We are very glad that you´ve been very comfortable in your time with us!
We really apreciate you take your time and give us your opinion.
Your opinion is always welcomed to improve our services.
I would like to apologize if it seemed that our facilities were small, I invite you to try our Premium or Suite rooms are much more spacious.
Hope to see you back here or in any Axel Hotels around the world.

kind regards,
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Excellent Stay and great service, I love Barcelona and since I discovered this hotel still like more, I declare myself a fan. The rooms are excellent quality and feature of the hotel staff were lovely and very professional with his work.
I'm looking to return soon ....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Amanda K
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for its magnificent views and the time they spend on it. We greatly appreciate the trust you have placed in us. In Axel Hotel Barcelona, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can enjoy the hotel and its facilities.
We are delighted to have had him as a client.

Yours sincerely,