“Another good stay!”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #185 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have just returned from 4 nights at the Axel Hotel in Barcelona, and yet again, I had a very comfortable, no hassle stay. This is my second visit to the hotel.
It's location is perfect, just a short stroll from Universitat, and Place de Catalunya. Very handy for the Metro and the Aerobus.
I did arrive at the hotel very early, due to my flight times. The receptionist did try to accomodate me, as I was extemely tired after getting up so early, but this was not possible. However, she took my suitcase, so I didn't have to drag that around the city. I returned at 1330, and after a little wait, I was given my room.
I was allocated toom 603, I had asked for a high room on my booking. I was at first disappointed as the room overlooked the internal part of the building, rather than the street. However, after a few hours, i got used to this, and in fact, turned out to be a blessing, as it is nice and quiet at night time.
I used the spa twice during the stay, all in working order, a nice place to relax.
Reception staff were always pleasant when asked a question. I only had one problem during my stay... the main bedroom light starting flashing on and off. This became quite annoying, so I went to report it. It was during the evening, so couldn't not be fixed there and then, I had to wait until the next day. Not a major issue, I just used the smaller lights.. and as promised, the broken light was fixed the following day.
All in all, a nice hotel, good location, comfy rooms. I paid a fair price this time, 225 pounds for 4 nights, room only, which was fine for me.
Would definitely stay again, when I next visit BCN.
Thanks Axel!

1  Thank Carl J
BORJAJULIA, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us several times. We love to see our repeat guest had a very good stay and considerer us like their houses.
Hope to see you soon with us!
Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Axel caters to a largely gay and lesbian crowd but heteros are welcomed and treated well. The rooms are smallish but well-designed. Our room had French doors to a patio overlooking the charming street. The staff is formal but hospitable. There is a fun roof top bar that is not staffed fully enough to prevent long lines waiting for drinks. Fairly priced, I'd return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dallas David

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion.
Also we would like to inform you that we are working for an excellente service and your opinion it is very helpfull.
Best regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice place well located, good bathroom.Not shocking at tall.A bit fair about the staff, reception and bar.Good cava offered the first day:) Unfortunately not a lot of choice for the tv channel.Possibility to make sport in the wellness for free but sauna and hammam are paying services.

BORJAJULIA, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you in advance for your opinion.
Also, thank you for staying with us during your holidays in Barcelona.
Hope see you soon with us.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

The standard of this hotel is high. The hotel is clean & the staff are very friendly. I stayed in the Berlin Axel & new what to expect & it lived up to my expectations. The sky bar was closed due to the winter but this didn't stop me from having a good time. It's just a short walk to La Rambla & Pass de Gracia from the hotel which is fantastic to take in some of the views on the way.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
BORJAJULIA, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your fantastic comments about us.
We really apreciatte you take your time and give us your opinion.
We would like to inform you the upcoming opening of our new project AxelBeach Maspalomas in Gran Canaria island, which will be opened the next 1st of May 2013. The new property will offer the best leisure and service proposals, along with the best outdoor areas and equipment available to enjoy a great holidays and a wonderful weather the whole year.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
BORJAJULIA, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was our second stay at the Axel, our first was not long after it opened. I'm not sure why it's taken so long to return, it's a great hotel in an amazing city. Our (standard) room was spacious, well designed and equipped. Service was friendly and professional at all times. We enjoyed the social network within the hotel, it's not all about sex. In fact we made friends with, typically, a fellow Londoner and it was great to share drinks and tips about the city with him. It was also great to be able to use the Spa at the end of a day's sightseeing before going out for the evening. One minor gripe is that the steam room wasn't working when we were there (they were waiting for a part to fix it). The location is also very convenient and some of Barcelona's best restaurants are nearby. We'll definitely be back

Room Tip: First time we stayed here we had a room at the rear of the hotel which was quiet, but had no view, t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your fantastic comments about us.
We really apreciatte you take your time and give us your opinion.
And we are deeply sorry about the sauna.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Well, It was only after I'd booked this hotel for a week with my girlfriend that I realised I'd booked a gay hotel. Naturally, we weren't fussed in the slightest - as long as they were happy to have us, which of course, being hetrofriendly, they were. The room we had was huge, had a balcony, decent fridge, aircon, clean marble floor and cleaners that came daily. There is a roof bar & swimming pool which is a nice place kick back in the sun, along with a bar on the ground floor that does killer cocktails. The location is great, about 10-15min walk to the ramblas, great restaurants nearby [ especally 'la flauta', google it & go there], gaudis cathedral takes about 40mins to walk. Everything is within walking distance really, even the beach - just make sure you have comfy shoes. Its such a shame to take public transport in this wonderful city as you miss so much of its architecture & beauty.

Back to the hotel, the staff were very friendly and were more then happy to help you with maps and recommended where to eat etc. Overall, I think the hotel made our trip. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because the beers on the roof bar were very expensive - but perhaps thats the going rate for a bar that gives you a panoramic view of Barcelona, with a jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Balcony is great for eating take-out, or watching the sun go down with a few beers.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Olliejc

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion and thank you for considerer us a wonderful hotel.
And yes we are HETEROFRIENDLY!
We hope see you soon with us!
Best regards