“A wonderfull week end in Bcn”

Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa
Ranked #149 of 519 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Excellent hotel for gay life! It's well located for gay life and well located to visit all the main sites in Barcelona. You can walk and enjoin the local area not so busy of tourist or you can get paseo de gracia and the ramblas very easy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
BORJAJULIA, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your comments, we really apreciatte you take your time to wrotte about us in a good position.
We hope to see you soon!
Axel Hotel Barcelona

Write a ReviewReviews (2,652)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my second stay in Axel BCN and I am sure that was not the last... I have booked the premium room but have asked for upgrade on arrival. The receptionist offered me fair deal for upgrade into the suite and I accepted it... if comfort is important... do the same... you will get a big room with huge terrace on the 7th floor... see some added picture if you are interested how does it look like...

The receptionists are very very kind and I was really satisfied with their attitude to guests, bed perfect, breakfast rich enough and vary.... Just the waiters in the breakfast room are a bit slow... I dont like breakfast coffe, so I ordered double expresso instead.... OK, it was not necessary to get it in two seconds, but I was a bit annoyed watching waiter talking with collegue for a few minutes instead of serving me espresso first... but thats probably just my problem since the morning is not the best part of my day :) .... But they havent charged this espresso extra and that was a surprise.... normaly hotels charge such "extras"...

The breakfast room which turns into the lunch/dinner restaurant was renovated from my last visit in 2011 and is now really beautiful.... I havent eat anything there, but menues looked good...

And just something.... ground bar was mostly empty in the evening, but it is a nice place to grab for a beer or two before going out or to the bed.... they just should offer more sorts of bear and not just Heineken whis is (sorry my Dutch friends) the worst choice among bears...

Free wi-fi! I like it!

Axel BCN stays my favourite hotel and I will go there again at my next BCN visit....

And one more remark for AXEL people in Berlins's hotel: go & check BCN - they are a lot more "peoplefriendly" ....

Room Tip: 7th floor's suite ofcourse....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelX17

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
Thank you for staying with us for a second time! thank you also for giving your support as a guest.
Thanks for using Axel peolpe! is very nice socialmedia!
We hope to see you soon with us!
Best regards

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just returned from a four night stay. We had booked a standard room but were offered a 10 EUR per night upgrade to a premium room. This was well worth it as the room had a balcony with excellent views, a hot tub, a king-sized bed and was very big. The room was in very good condition and the linens were changed daily (we didn't ask for this). The service at reception was also very good. The location is great, it is near lots of good bakeries and cafes (not many restaurants nearby - worth heading further out for these) and a short walk from the nearest metro station at Universitat. It's an easy, 10 minute, walk to Placa Catalunya and the top of La Rambla. Getting there from the airport was simple and stress free - we got the regional railway (different from the metro) line R2 from the terminal building to Passeig de Gracia then it was a five minute walk along Carrer D'Arago (heading SW) turning left onto Carrer D'Aribau (where the hotel is located). This was 3.00 EUR each way, which is cheaper (and probably) quicker than the aeroport bus. My only negative comment is that the decor is perhaps a bit in your face and borders on being sleazy. That said there hotel has a definite LGBT ethos and the decor matches it well. The overall impression the hotel makes is fantastic and I had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay there.

3  Thank d41k57

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion and thank you for your description about our rooms, areas and staff.
Hope to see you very soon back again with us!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We just returned from a week-long stay here. The hotel was great: very quiet, clean, great price, great staff, as advertised: hetero-friendly. If you don't want to explain that to your kids, or parents, you might look somewhere else, though. The location was perfect for us to explore, a couple of blocks from the Metro and many of the Eixample sites. Lots of options for dining in the surrounding blocks, from Michelin Star places to established local spots.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion and thank you also for describe us as a great hotel with a great staff , price and very clean with a great location!
Thank you also for staying with us.
It is very important your opinion and to continue working for an excellent service.
Hope see you soon with us
Sincerely

Reviewed November 26, 2012

- I reserved this hotel online months in advance, and was originally quoted a rate of 265.00 Euros; I then checked the website again a week before my trip and I was quoted 238.00 Euros. I emailed the hotel and they immediately reduced my rate, which was great.
- My reservation was for November 23rd to 25th - and on the morning of November 23rd I received an email indicating my reservation had been cancelled as my credit card had been declined, which was very stressful as I was on my way to the airport. I promptly called the hotel - and they used the wrong card number. I was issued a new card after I made the reservation. I did contact the hotel and provide the new number, but this was not recorded and they used the old number. I did discuss this with the Front Desk Clerk on arrival. I advised him the hotel needs to review this policy as I did consider booking with another hotel, as there were no shortage of hotel rooms in Barcelona for the period. This is poor customer service, and of course counts as bad.
- The Front Desk Staff were friendly and help; this was good.
- The hotel room was clean, but the towels and bed linen does need to be replaced. The bed linen had small stains and the towels were well worn and two had small holes. This was not good - not quite bad.
- I paid for the spa and used it twice in one day. On my first visit - I was provided with a towel. But on my second visit - I was advised you were only allowed one towel per day. A spa that limits you to one towel a day is really a contradiction to what a spa experience should be. She did end up giving me a towel in the end, but where is the common sense in thinking that a paying customer, to a spa, should be limited to one towel when multiple visits are allowed. Even more so - expecting an out-of-town visitor to bring their own towel. I don't usually travel with towels. This experience was bad - and not what you would expect from an 'exclusive' spa.
- The gym was great - excellent well maintained variety of equipment - and very clean.
- The location was excellent.
- The WiFi in the room was not good - signal was intermittent and low quality.
- Although the staff member was friendly on departure, he did not ask how my stay was. This was bad - as it should be standard for any hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank CityBreakGuy
BORJAJULIA, Director General at Axel Hotel Barcelona & Urban Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinion and thank you for staying with us.
We also want to appologize for the inconvenience at the Spa and WIFI signal.
Hope that you give us a second chance and I promise that you will have a so much better experience!
best regards,

Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Axel is a great place to stay, just a ten minute stroll from Las Ramblas. The staff are really nice and friendly and the hotel is very clean and comfortable. We had a problem witht eh water not draining from the sink which was sorted in quick smart time once we reported it.

The Sky bar is now closed during the winter season which was a shame as we felt there was a lack of atmosphere in the Ground bar and itwould have been nice for more of an opportunity to socialise with other visitors. There is only botteld beer sold in the bar which was also a bit of a let down at 5euros per bottle.

All in all, the Axel is well worth a stay and although our room was facing into the courtyard and was quite small, it was was comfy and quiet.

Room Tip: Try to book a room which is street facing.

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion and thank you for considerer us a wonderful hotel.
We hope see you soon with us!
Best regards

Reviewed November 24, 2012

the standard rooms are very little. the other one better but more expensive. nice the shower open to view. it's not only foro homosexual but often for family. the atmosphere is not properly for fmily and visitors must be confused

Room Tip: rooms interior are quite. on the street less
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinion and thank you for staying with us.
We are very glad that you choose Axel Hotel Barcelona during your visit to Barcelona and we hope to see you soon with us again.