“Great Value”
Review of Hotel Jazz

Hotel Jazz
Ranked #44 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Clean, modern, comfortable and in an excellent location. Great having the pool on the roof as well. Very good value and would definately stay here again

Stayed: September 2008
There are newer reviews for Hotel Jazz

Reviewed September 14, 2008

Great location, very quiet rooms, and windows that open. Funky, rooms furnishings, bathroom and lobby. Close to everything, and easy access to airport or cruise terminal. Staff speaks limited english but very helpful. Will stay there again!!

Reviewed September 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for one night in late August. We were there for a wedding, so for the rest of the time, we stayed in a villa outside of the city.

I thought the Hotel Jazz was very nice. We had a relatively large, clean, modern room. We were there on a Friday night and there was no noise to speak of in our room. The hotel is situated near Las Ramblas, but not on Las Ramblas which I believe helps with the noise. I thought it was a great area to be in since it was walking distance to everything but not right in the middle of the late night Las Ramblas scene.

Overall, the hotel was a good value. I had investigated similar hotels in the area, and they were all a bit pricier.

Next time we are in Barcelona, I would check out the Hotel Jazz again.

1  Thank nrjones
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Hotel Jazz is a steal! It is an extremely nice hotel for a great price. Everything about this hotel was wonderful -- the staff is very friendly, the rooms are amazing, there are computers with free internet access, the bar is great and the pool is also very nice.

My husband and I really loved the location. It is very short walk to Las Ramblas/touristy stuff, but far enough away that you don't get all of the noise. The location was perfect.

The room/bathroom were very spacious and nice. The bed was comfortable and it was nice to be able to open the balcony door for fresh air. The hotel is very modern and the decor is wonderful.

The roof deck pool is a bit small and there aren't very many louge chairs around the pool itself, but it is a nice area with great views. There is also an deck with a bar adjacent to the pool.

We had a great time hanging out at the bar. The only downside to the bar is that it closes so early -- I believe at 11 or 11:30 pm. I wish it had stayed open later, and several other guests commented on this as well.

I highly recommend this hotel, and if I ever go back to Barcelona, this is where I will stay!

1  Thank LL80
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz during a weekend visit to Barcelona.

The pros:
The rooms are really beautiful. Trendy, attractive and comfortable.
The staff was also welcoming and helpful. Although, we asked for a restaurant suggestion and I was not quite happy as they sent us to a super touristy area.
Location is good. There is a metro stop just a few steps away and it is in close proximity to some sites as well.
There is also a great view from the rooftop pool which seems well maintained and a nice refreshing way to end a long day.
Check out is 11am which is good as we like a later checkout.

The cons:
Breakfast is expensive. And is fine. But not impressive.
We stayed on the 4th floor but at times, could still hear the metro running past below. It didn't disturb us really but it might do on lower floors.
The airco works. Yet, it was directed just at the area where your head lays on the pillow. Rather uncomfortable and not good for the sinuses.
The pool is far too small for the number of guests in the hotel. We had to hang around for nearly an hour before even getting a chair. When we finally did get one, it turned out to be broken. Plus, there seem to be a lot of guests who just place a towel down to reserve a chair, then never return.

All in all I'd say it is a nice hotel and certainly worthy of a 3.5 star rating. But, when I go to Barcelona again, I will likely look to see what else is out there as I feel there may be something more satisfying.

Reviewed September 3, 2008

Great stylish hotel with fantastic interior design. Very comfy beds.

Lovely modern bathrooms with nice additional toiletries.

Free internet, which is always a bonus.

Walking distance to Plaza Catalunya for great shopping. Minutes from 2 metro stops.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank ozinamsterdam
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Stayed at the Hotel Jazz with my girlfriend for 3 nights towards the end of August.

The hotel is in an excellent location on Carrer Pelai. It is close enough to Placa Catalunya and the Ramblas to appreciate the buzz of the city, but removed enough to give you some respite from the mayhem and the crowds.

We caught the Airport bus into Barcelona which costs around 7 euros per person for a return trip. The hotel is located 2 mins walk maximum from the Placa Universitat stop which is the 2nd one on the route.

The hotel is modern and clean. The air conditioning in the room was superb and we had a balcony looking out onto the street outside. The room itself was a good size. The bathroom was fine although they do scrimp a bit on toiletries. I'd bring your own shower gels etc unless you consider washing an unnecessary luxury on your travels.

The only downside to the hotel is possibly also one of its strengths, depending on your viewpoint. The hotel is superbly situated for 2 different Metro stations which is extremely handy when you need to get around the city and see the sights. The downside is that you can feel the rumbling of the trains as they go under the hotel, at least you could on the 3rd floor where we were located. I've had worse (the incessant sound of taxi horns in the Hotel Mela, Times Square NYC) and I can't say it disturbed me too much, but perhaps a consideration for those light sleepers amongst you who may find this an irritation.

There are a couple of shops under the hotel which is useful for snacks and drinks if you want to avoid the minibar prices.

The pool on the roof is tiny and I wouldn't recommend booking here for this alone, but it was a pretty nice place to kill time, particularly on our check out day when we just wanted to sit somewhere and chill out for a while. Don't expect to be able to sit up there at night though. It shuts fairly early.

The hotel is excellent for a 3 star property, but I would suggest that the prices are pretty much 4 star level anyway.

Aside from the hotel itself:

The tourist bus stopped directly opposite our room and I'd recommend this as a good way of getting an overview if you are a first timer in the city and want to see as much as possible of the different areas. I think we used Barcelona Tours as this was one continuous loop, rather than the alternative Bus Turistic which has 3 different loops and involves changing bus to get round different areas.

See as much Gaudi as you can. I'm no fan of architecture by any means but this is something else. Parc Guell is worth a visit if its a nice day (and you don't mind walking uphill to get there). Sagrada Familia is outstanding.

There are a couple of boat tours in the Port around the harbour. Personally I found this a bit underwhelming. I'd save your time and money for other things.

The Nou Camp tour is worth a visit even if you're no fan of football. The stadium is amazing and the history of the club is fascinating. They have the plans for its redevelopment up as well and it should be some spectacle when that is completed.

Ignore some of the more negative websites that seem to have sprung up and which make out that Barcelona is something akin to the early days of the Wild West. It isn't. Just be sensible as you would in any other major city. I'd also read some ludicrous claims that you would mark yourself out as a target for muggers/pickpockets if you wore shorts/looked at a map/didn't speak Spanish etc. This is rubbish. The area around the top of the Ramblas felt very safe. There are a couple of areas around the lower end of the Raval which were a little seedy late at night, but just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine. The worst crime I encountered was being charged 10 euros for 2 Heinekens in an Irish bar just off the Ramblas!

We'd also heard that no-one eats in restaurants before 9 and you'd suffer from lack of atmosphere if you did. That didn't appear to be strictly true, although I concede we were only around for 3 nights. From what I could tell, most restaurants open around 8-8.30pm and it is sometimes worth getting there then to avoid the queues. On the Saturday night we arrived at one restaurant at 8.30 and were offered a seat on the terrace before opting for a window seat overlooking the Ramblas. At 9 they were turning people away. By 9.45 you could have taken your pick of tables again. It seems there is a burst of activity around 9 but either side of that isn't too bad.

Enjoy.