“Great location and good size rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Jazz

Hotel Jazz
Ranked #41 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Rome, Italy
“Great location and good size rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Its location is probably the best thing this hotel has to offer. There is a Universitat metro station just steps away from the hotel's main entrance. The weather was great when we visited in November and we practically walked to almost all the key sights from the hotel. It is about two to three blocks away from Plaça de Catalunya, which is like the center of Barcelona city. Plaça de Catalunya is also where the stop for the Aerobus is to bring tourists to and from the airport. From Plaça de Catalunya, one can easily walk toward La Rambla, Passeig de Gràcia and Rambla de Catalunya, all of which are main sightseeing streets in Barcelona.

There are many cafes nearby the hotel and we had our breakfast at one of these cafes every morning. A coffee and pastry cost about 5-6 euros, which I believe is cheaper than the hotel's. Given the convenience and selection offered at these cafes, I do not think it is necessary to eat breakfast at the hotel.

Inside the hotel, there is a very nice roof terrace on the eighth floor. The pool is very small and the bar was closed when we were there, probably due to the time of the year. From the roof terrace, you can get a good view of the surrounding area.

The hotel room is spacious and clean. We requested for a matrimonial bed and got two single beds pushed together to form a double bed. That aside, the sheets were clean and we really like the huge pillows at this hotel. The bathroom is also fairly large and clean, with a full size tub and toiletries. Some items that would have been nice to have but were missing in the room would be a kettle to make hot beverages, complimentary bottled water, a box of tissues and bedroom slippers.

Service at the hotel can be considered fairly efficient. Prior to our visit, we emailed the hotel a couple of enquiries and their staff always replied very promptly. Our check-in and check-out at the hotel was also handled with minimal fuss. One day before our check-out, we asked the hotel staff if we could print our boarding passes at their business center. The staff told us to simply email them the boarding passes and they would print for us for free. That was really helpful of them.

In summary, Hotel Jazz is very conveniently located with good basic room amenities. I will recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Barcelona.

1 Thank MagdalinePoh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

1. Hotel is located next to Metro Universitat station, and just 5 minutes walk to Plaza Catalunya and Las Ramblas. The location is very ideal, near the metro and yet far away from the crowd. I stayed on the 7th floor, facing the road, but the noise from the road was not noticeable as the windows did a good job of shutting out the noise from the road.

The shuttle buses (A1 & A2) between airport terminals 1 & 2 respectively, are located at Plaza Catalunya, and easy to find. From the hotel, it is just a simple 5 minutes walk to the Plaza.

2. The room was clean. Bedroom slippers and kettle were not provided. Soap, shampoo and basic toiletries kit was provided. Bed was comfortably hard, pillows were long and comfortable.

3. Staff were always courteous and helpful, and proficient in English. However, when I called to enquire about the possibility of a late check-out, the staff came across as being curt in rejecting my request. I understand that the hotel was full, but the tone definitely could be improved. Perhaps it was unintentional, so I gave the staff the benefit of the doubt.

4. The free wi-fi worked well enough.

5. I did not have the breakfast in the hotel. Instead I had them at the cafes across the road, which worked to be EUR2 for coffee, and EUR3-4 for a nice sandwich.

If you have the chance, go up to the roof at level 8, which has a nice view, a small pool and deck chairs for you to lounge.

This is a nice hotel to stay because of the convenient location, clean and nice rooms, friendly staff. However, because of the relatively high price of the rooms, I would consider it being worth the money you are paying for.

1 Thank Wilfred_Hee
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

We really liked this hotel and would stay here again if we return to Barcelona.

That said, I couldn't give 5 stars because of some minor problems in our room, which was 605. We couldn't get the English channels on our TV (and I had particularly wanted to watch a football match); the hairdryer was very weak and emitted tepid air (I notice someone else complained about this); the LED reading light by our beds suffered from erectile dysfunction and were therefore useless.

Apart from these irritations, we were happy in Hotel Jazz. The rooms were larger than average and had ample storage space for clothes. The breakfasts were very good. We were particularly pleased with the service from the friendly and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Rm 605 was quiet and roomy but had some minor problems (see review).
2 Thank margaret h
Cheltenham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just come back from staying 3 nights at Hotel Jazz. It is in a great central location and the airport bus takes you almost to the door, so very convenient. The rooms are clean and modern with a huge comfortable bed. If I go back to Barcelona, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
seoul
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Yes, the location is perfect..
How about what the hotel jazz provides to the customers?
I can not find the following stuffs in my room some normal hotels usually provide:
1. some cheap clock radio
2. channel guides for TV
3. coffee pot with coffee and tea bags
4. a box of facial tissues (kleenex kind)

When I asked coffee pot, they said "we will provide cups with hot water. you can call the restaurant."
When I asked facial tissues (there are only rolls of toilet tissues), they brought me 4 individually vinyl packed (travel pack) tissues.
When I asked a bucket of ices, I had to go to restaurant in the 1st floor. They charged me 2.50 Euros.
I don't know how much they will charge a cup of hot water. I will let you know later..
I paid about $180/ night , weekdays including breakfast, 2nd week of November (seems to me that it becomes a low season now in Barcelona) .
Of course, the TV in my room has 60 some channels: only one English language channel can be found, a cartoon channel. No BBC or CNN..

After the first night, it is NOT PERFECT at all !! I should say, POOR.
(Staffs are very polite and try to help customers, though. They let me check in early when I arrived on 11: 30 AM.)
Two nights to go.. I already regret with my decision for this hotel.

Room Tip: There are two sides. I am in a room facing back side of building. I can not open the curtain since I...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank icrl
Farmingdale NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Nice big rooms, amazingly quiet (ours faced an inner courtyard) given the central location. Sleek European style with a super-comfortable bed and roomy bathroom. Staff friendly enough, not effusive but always willing to help. Security is discrete but always present, a good thing in Barcelona. Close to all transport. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Jazz without hesitation.

2 Thank BarbaraNY51
San Joaquin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Fantastic hotel, very nice rooms, comfortable beds, clean roomy bathrooms, helpful counter clerks, great location and great breakfast for a reasonable rate. You can’t go wrong with those hotel. Watch the taxi drivers as soon as they figure out your American they double their fares

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family