“One of the best”
Review of Hotel Pulitzer

Hotel Pulitzer
Ranked #108 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I decided to go to Barcelona with my wife, as a present on her birthday. As this is our 6th time in Barcelona, I can say that we have some previous experience regarding the location of the hotel and some other hotels to compare it with.

I found this hotel on TripAdvisor and booked for 3 nights, finding a very good offer for the hotel and for the location itself. Speaking about that, the Pulitzer hotel is perfectly located right in the center of Barcelona, in Placa Catalunya. Of course, it's very easy to locate, as it stands in the back of Fnac (a large electronics store).

The staff was very welcoming, speaking English and of course Spanish. The hotel is very elegant, I guess renovated, cause the building is quite old. When you enter the hotel, you have the reception on your left, the open bar and a lot of couches on the right and the restaurant and a patio in front. I read about a patio on the roof, didn't use it. The bar is nice, had a cocktail and some wine there. Rather expensive comparing to a bar in Barcelona, but it was ok.

The room is very nice, the size is ok comparing it to some other hotel rooms in Barcelona and even in Europe. I don't know USA, but for Europe is ok. The furniture looks good, some of it gives me the impression that is just renovated, not new (can be only an impression though). You have TV, wifi internet, minibar, some snacks, safe box, heating, air conditioning. The bathroom is very clean and they provided all that one need (towels, shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, shaving set, slippers and so on). Everything is very clean and the thing that they clean the room a little bit later than in other hotels was not a problem to me.

The only problem we had was with the heating. First night the air conditioning (that provided heating also) worked, but there was no heat, only ventilation. We spoke with the reception staff in the morning and they sent someone to take care of the problem. When we returned in the afternoon, everything was ok so that's nice of them. Well, let's say almost ok, cause there still was a weird noise sometimes, during the air conditioning functioning. It sounded like a crack and I guess it was something like the plastic in the pipes heating/cooling. But I guess it has to do with the law of physics and it didn't occur so often so we were able to get a good sleep. Another thing in the category of heating are the windows, rather weak-insulating, but this is a common aspect in Spanish windows.

And talking about the good night sleep, I appreciate the fact that they provide 2 kind of pillows, different sizes, which is good for those like me that prefer sleeping on a non-fluffy one. The fact that double bed means 2 beds placed one next to the other is not good. Double bed should be a big one which fits 2 persons, without the dividing line that 2 beds give. Either you have 2 beds with just one king size mattress, either one king size bed.

All that being said, I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend and I would definitely return here. We ranked this one as the second best that we ever stayed in Spain (visited a lot of cities there) and the third overall.

PS: In choosing this hotel, the fact that the hotel's management is bothering replying to reviews was a plus.

1  Thank Luka_luka22
jmsanchez, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2010

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments posted about your stay.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit Barcelona again.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

I do not think I can recommend this Hotel highly enough. The Staff are extremely helpful - nothing but nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are beatifully decorated and well furnished with a wonderful bathroom. There is a relaxed feeling throughout and the ambience is so relaxing. It serves as excellent value for money.

It is perfectly located for exploring the city and from within you are not aware of the hustle and bustle outside.

We did not eat any meals in the Hotel so we cannot place comment on that service.

If we go again we will stay in the Hotel Pulitzer - take the stress out of chosing a hotel in Barcelona and chose this one!

1  Thank glasgowskyeblue
jmsanchez, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2010

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very mcuh for your comments posted. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to come back.

Reviewed March 13, 2010

Hotel Pulitzer is a modern hotel which has young and yuppy staff. The hotel is very well placed and a stone throw from Placa Catalunya and La Ramblas ( Scam capital)! It started snowing the minute we got into the cab from the airport, a phenomenon that last occured in Barcelona in 1984. The residents of the city were ill prepared for this and the hotel staff too was in awe of the rapidly falling snow. Of course, there was no electrical kettle available but the bartendar would kindly give us a hot water flask with tea cups etc at no charge. Breakfast was not included in the rate so cant comment on that. Rooms and bathrooms were on the smaller side but the balcony was a welcome extra space. For the price and location, it is your best bet!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank dubaiite

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for your kind comments. As you mentioned our city is not prepared for such a strange phenomenon that occurs rarely.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

Sumptious dark lighting, and elegantly appointed furniture define this hotel as somewhere between large hotel (it has 85 rooms) and boutique in style and ambience. The staff are very helpful, the location could not be better (although, nothing to look out at), and the place is relaxing (helped by some great cocktails!).
The rooms are marginally on the tight side, and for some reason, we were given two single beds pushed together, but overall a great stay.
TIP: book on the hotel's website in advance to get a 15% discount.

1  Thank Tykerb

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your time posting your opinion about your stay.
I am sorry for the inconvenience due to the set up of your beds if it makes your stay probably worst than expected.
As you mentioned you can get a good through our website.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

This is a very central hotel, right next to subway station and it's the best location someone could ever hope when in Barcelona.
The staff was ok - an unusual thing in catalunia.
The room was small, but nothing else to complaint.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for your opinion posted. Please do not hesitate to contact if you would like to visit us again.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

I've just returned from three nights at the Pulitzer and agree with all the positive comments here. In addition, it should be noted that the staff speak English very well, the breakfast is excellent, and problems are sorted out with intelligence as opposed to eager incompetence. There are many slick, designer hotels to consider in Barcelona and given this hotel's affordable position among them I'd say it's a very good bargain.

Just one piece of advice for staff who might read this. The rooms have a few bumps and scratches in them (from luggage, wear and tear, etc) that needs to be addressed if you want to stay competitive in the 'sleek and fashionable' stakes of Barcelona. Good luck!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments. I agree with you about some improvements we have to make in our Hotel, we are considering the best options to sort the problem out.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

I stayed here with my 17 year old son. We booked a lower rate online and felt as though the room they gave us was probably held aside for those cheaper rates. The room was always adequately clean by staff and we got a smile at how careful the housekeeper was with the items we left on our bathrrom vanity every day - placing them neatly on a towel. However, the room (105) was right across from storage cabinets and the elevators. At night we heard the slamming of these doors, people talking and the bar area just below being cleaned up. being on the street we were woken up several times during the night by the nightly garage pick-ups and al the businesses tossing out their glass recyclables. We were at the end of an exhausting 2 week trip and every time we talked about requesting a room change, we were too tired to act on it, so I fault myself there.

Amanda at the desk was very, very helpful with recommending fine dining and making reservations. The location is wonderful and just a few minutes from the Aerobus (euro 5 to/from the airport). I would just recommend that if people make reservations they request it not face the street.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments even for the ones that are not so positive. I really apologize for the problems you had during your stay due to the noise, all rooms are double glazing however something can happen. I will inform my colleagues at housekeeping about your comments but it surprises me because there is no cabinet in front room 105.
Once again thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit Barcelona again.