“Brill hotel, fab location, friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Pulitzer

Hotel Pulitzer
Ranked #109 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I booked to stay here with my husband for his 30th birthday. We arrived at the airport after a long flight delay and in the middle of a thunderstorm so we didn't want to mess about looking for a Bus to take us to our hotel as we have never been to Barcalona before. We got a taxi and it cost 28 euros at 9:30pm.

On arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff who checked us in and directed us to our room, which was located on the first floor, above the bar area. This room may be a problem for some who like a lie in as from around 7am you hear the coffee machine. Noise was never a problem for us on a night but we did stay early season (end March). We visited the rooftop bar, would've been nice in warmer weather, but you had to buy drinks from the main bar on the ground floor and take them up, again presuming this is an early season thing. Cannot stress enough how nice staff were here, and our rooms were cleaned daily, new towels etc. on arrival our room also had crisps, nuts and sangria, oh and slippers and bathrobes (I'm a sucker for the extras!)

I had been in contact with the hotel prior to arrival to arrange a bottle of champaign to be in our room for my husband on arrival. The lady i spoke to was Amazing, she told me about the different packages they offered and offered useful information about getting to the hotel from the airport. The bottle was in the room as requested, on ice.

The hotels location is fantastic, as other people have mentioned, you are at the top of Las Ramblas and central to Catalunya. There is also a perfectly situated tube station directly outside the hotel, which has a lot of the main lines running through it, so very central for sight seeing! There is a Starbucks just around the corner too which we visited every morning before our adventures.

On our first full day we paid about €25 euros pp for a ticket on the open top/tour bus. There is three coloured lines/routes that this bus takes, we went on blue and red the main ones. The bus takes you around all the sites (Football stadium, Olympic park, harbour, Cathedral, Gaudis park etc) we hopped on and off this bus and NEVER had to wait for another bus, there was always one either parked up, or just pulling up. This was deffo the best thing we could have done, because we then planned where we wanted to go the next day. We didn't pay for a tour bus ticket again, instead we paid about €6 pp for a tube/bus ticket and ventured around ourselves-and we got everywhere! Gaudis park, the cathedral, Picasso museum, football stadium, harbour. Everything was amazing, such a beautiful place. If you want to go into the cathedral, go early, because you have to que to get a pass to que to buy a ticket-very confusing and limited places.

Las Ramblas is amazing, always busy, lots to see (go to the market) lots of shops and side streets which are a must. I was scared of being pick pocketed before we went after reading and hearing scary reviews, but we never had any trouble. I did watch my bag AT ALL TIMES, but we do in England anyway, especially on tubes and in cities. So just be safe. I got fed up of the main Las Rambles strip after two days, same stuff to see, same gypsies and people trying to sell you stuff, and its so busy, especially on a night.

I don't know about other people but we really struggled to find good places to drink, there was a decent Irish bar down one of the side streets, but the main part does not seem to be a drinkers place. We were looking to party, just relax and enjoy a cold beer....went to the sports bar, husband loved it to watch footy as there is loads of screens, but the food is terrible and expensive.

Finally, would recommend it, but if you want to go and see as much as you can, like we did, be prepared to pay. Not just costs into places which we expected to pay, but the price of food and alcohol. Your looking at €5 everywhere for a drink, and evening meals around €20 pp for a cheap starter and main...more like €30 pp. we visited Hard Rock Cafe which was a must!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,290)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We are currently about to check out of this fabulous hotel following a two night weekend break.

It is ideally situated in Plaza Catalunya, just around the corner from La Rambla with all the main shops, bars and restaurants.

We have been treated like royalty at this 4 star boutique hotel. The manager, Ms Banon, upgraded us to a superior room and even had a chilled bottle of cava waiting for us to celebrate our second wedding anniversary. The room was spotless and had separate little toiletries in the bathroom for both men and women. It is these little touches which make it special.

Breakfast was largely continental, there's scrambled eggs and bacon but it mainly consists of fruits, breads and meats. All very tasty but don't expect a full English in Barcelona as you won't find one!

The hotel terrace bar is a must. It's on the top floor and is a little suntrap. The restaurant and bar are lovely too, and the drinks are not overpriced.

We used the local tourist bus to get around: at 26 Euros per day, or 34 Euros for two days it's quite reasonable given the vast size of this city, and is divided into three lines: red, blue and green which take in the whole of the Barcelona. You can hop on and off as many times as you like and use each line. We took the scenic blue line down to the Nou Camp (amazing place!) and the red line down to the beach, taking in lots of Gaudi's amazing work along the way. The Gothic quarter is also a must. Barcelona is steeped in fascinating history.

Finally, I must confess I work in the travel industry and am therefore quite hard to please, having travelled extensively, but I think I've found a little gem in this hotel. The location is perfect, rooms are comfortable and furnished art-deco style and the staff are friendly and couteous. I love Barcelona and will definitely stay here again on my return.

Keep up the good work Ms Meritxell Banon: your hotel and staff are a credit to you!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank a_dixon_77
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great location, friendly and helpful staff, lovely bar staff, comfortable beds and quiet room, we were on the second floor facing the street. Loved the shower, hard time getting out as it was so good. Great location to hop on the airport bus and the red tourist buses in Cataluna Square. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Happytraveller001111
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I just spent my long Easter weekend in Barcelona and when I was going through a list of possible hotels, I had 2 C's in mind: convenience and comfort. I must say, I'm glad I chose Hotel Pulitzer!

Location/Accessibility (5/5)

The Hotel Pulitzer Barcelona is located at C/ Bergara, 8 – 08002 Barcelona. This hotel has probably the most convenient location in Barcelona that one could hope for. To get to the hotel from the airport, just take the Aerobus (a single ticket costs EUR 5.90, tickets can be bought through a machine nearby or through the bus driver) and get off at Plaça Catalunya. From the Aerobus station, walk directly to the other side, cutting through Plaça Catalunya. The street between the FNAC and BBV buildings is Carrer Bergara. The hotel is probably about 100m from Plaça Catalunya.

The importance of being right next to Plaça Catulunya is the accessibility to public transportation and shops. Plaça Catalunya is a major metro station and buses going to popular areas stop here. Right next to the hotel is also an ATM and a Starbucks (well, I always like trying out the Starbucks in different countries/areas and compare the difference). The hotel is about 100m from Plaça Catalunya.

I rated Hotel Pulitzer with the following:

Rooms and Facilities (4/5)
Staff and Services (5/5)
Security (4/5)
Price (4/5)
Cleanliness (5/5)

You may read my complete hotel review for Hotel Pulitzer at http://writtenbyicar.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/hotel-review-hotel-pulitzer-barcelona-spain/

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Icar P
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Our room was near the elevator so it was really noisy. No view from the 1st floor and the shower leaked all over the floor. Breakfast is nice and location is good. I would not stay here again.

Request a high floor away from the elevator to avoid being woken by people in the hallway.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank gobola
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Absolutely loved our stay at Hotel Pulitzer. Our room, the food, the service and the location are ideal for the sophisticated traveller. I will definitely be staying here again on my next visit to beautiful Barcelona!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Location location location!!! Right in plaza cataluyna and right at the top of Las Ramblas!! So easy to arrive at the hotel from the airport, took the blue airport bus which dropped us off directly in the plaza cataluyna. The rooms were modern in design. However our room seemed incredibly small and didn't even have room to open two full size suitcases on the floor. Some wasted space with a hallway that didn't seem necessary. Wifi was free and able to connect in the room without any issues. Terrace bar however due to the timeframe didn't see anybody in it. Busy bar downstairs. Overall pleasant stay, would definitely recommend!!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple